Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:28:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 314941 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2015, 23:57:16 »

The sleeper failed again tonight on the up got as far as long rock according to journey check. Think it's now normall hst left at 23.30 don't know much more than that but clearly did not get far at all. The only good thing I suppose is that they were not very far from assistance!!

It's being run as a HST (High Speed Train).

I can only assume the Sleeper stock was shunted back to Penzance by Long Rock's Class 08 shunter, the punters were turfed out, and the HST that arrived at Penzance from Paddington (1657 ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) at 2321 has been pressed into service. That would explain the 135 minute delay in starting the (not now a) Sleeper from Penzance.

Does now mean that it's likely that either the 0505 or 0541 from Penzance to Paddington on Monday morning will be cancelled, as Long Rock has only two of it's usual three HSTs who bed down for the night.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 00:08:15 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 00:17:41 »

Yea looks like they may have to toss a coin in the morning and the sleeper stock will need moving as well could be interesting tomorrow as to what plan they come up with
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2015, 00:50:46 »

There will doubtless be an ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) move of Sleeper stock sometime during the day.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2015, 05:01:08 »

Does now mean that it's likely that either the 0505 or 0541 from Penzance to Paddington on Monday morning will be cancelled, as Long Rock has only two of it's usual three HSTs (High Speed Train) who bed down for the night.

Neither in the end. The 07:41 is replaced by a three car unit sent from Exeter running from Truro to Bristol Temple Meads where an HST will take over.

Is it three or four HST sets that overnight at Penzance/Long Rock?  There is also the 06:45 to London Paddington to cover.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2015, 05:57:47 »

Does now mean that it's likely that either the 0505 or 0541 from Penzance to Paddington on Monday morning will be cancelled, as Long Rock has only two of it's usual three HSTs (High Speed Train) who bed down for the night.

Neither in the end. The 07:41 is replaced by a three car unit sent from Exeter running from Truro to Bristol Temple Meads where an HST will take over.

Is it three or four HST sets that overnight at Penzance/Long Rock?  There is also the 06:45 to London Paddington to cover.

21:15 Penzance to London Paddington due 05:05
This train has been delayed from Penzance by 135 minutes and is being further delayed at Long Rock.
This is due to a train fault.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 06:01:43 »

....but it was only 28 late by the time it reached London Paddington
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2015, 06:27:49 »

8 hours overnight on an HST (High Speed Train).......great start to the working week for some!   Sad
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2015, 07:44:57 »

8 hours overnight on an HST (High Speed Train).......great start to the working week for some!   Sad

I can see the point you are making, but slightly overstated.  The HST to form the service did not arrive in Penzance until 23:21 and then left at 23:30 after passengers and crew had been transferred from the sleeper coaches.  I make that six hours.

FGW (First Great Western) have said tickets for last night will be valid on the sleeper tonight for those who can delay their plans, which I expect is not many. 

At least a service was run.  I think in many cases where the Caledonian service has problems it is either cancelled outright and you need to find a hotel or a very long journey on a coach is provided.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:52 »

I can see the point you are making, but slightly overstated.  The HST to form the service did not arrive in Penzance until 23:21 and then left at 23:30 after passengers and crew had been transferred from the sleeper coaches.  I make that six hours.

FGW (First Great Western) have said tickets for last night will be valid on the sleeper tonight for those who can delay their plans, which I expect is not many. 

At least a service was run.  I think in many cases where the Caledonian service has problems it is either cancelled outright and you need to find a hotel or a very long journey on a coach is provided.

There were a lot of very unhappy people stranded for hours in the freezing cold at intermediate stations. I'm not sure the vagaries of the Caledonian service will be of interest or consolation to them. The wider impact of the unreliability of this service to the Business community and economy in the Southwest should not be underestimated.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2015, 09:33:58 »

There were a lot of very unhappy people stranded for hours in the freezing cold at intermediate stations. I'm not sure the vagaries of the Caledonian service will be of interest or consolation to them. The wider impact of the unreliability of this service to the Business community and economy in the Southwest should not be underestimated.

While I agree with your closing comment, you cannot speak as a matter of fact for people you did not see or speak to.  Most berth reservations are at stations with staff and a waiting room, and I would expect those at the small stations either made their way to somewhere like Truro or Plymouth, or gave up and went home.  Not ideal granted.

For the record, the 57 loco was once again the issue.

The replacement HST would have made it RT in Paddington, but was delayed a further 30 minutes in the Newton Abbot area where an engineering possession had to be temporarily handed back for 1A40 to pass through.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2015, 10:57:31 »

.........may not have seen them or spoken to them in person, but I read the comments on FGW (First Great Western)'s Twitter feed from people stranded in the manner I alluded to, which seems to bear it out.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2015, 12:49:43 »

As an occasional user of the Caledonian (lowland) sleeper, one of the big negatives is the wait until awfully late in the evening for the service to board at Glasgow / Edinburgh after a day's work and an early evening meal. I can't think what would be much more off-putting than a further 2 hours to wait, even if time was made up on the way.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2015, 13:36:08 »

As an occasional user of the Caledonian (lowland) sleeper, one of the big negatives is the wait until awfully late in the evening for the service to board at Glasgow / Edinburgh after a day's work and an early evening meal. I can't think what would be much more off-putting than a further 2 hours to wait, even if time was made up on the way.

........with the easy availability of flights to/from Glasgow and Edinburgh from all London airports I can't imagine ever being able to justify using the Sleeper for that trip if on business!!!

The Night Rivera (if running!) does bridge the overnight gap in the absence of flights from Devon/Cornwall and gets you into London ready for a day's work (again with the caveat that it's running to plan and you can get a decent kip en route!)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2015, 17:14:59 »

I can't see any ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) stock movement on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website). I am assuming there was one as otherwise tonights down will be a non starter.

**edit it left long rock at 1027, it needed another loco with it reaching OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) at 1704. I believe 57312 is the dead loco, and was pulled back to OOC dead**

I'm wondering if the rescue loco had worked the down, trying to find if there was another movement for a loco.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 17:27:53 by richwarwicker » Logged

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2015, 19:08:10 »

I can't see any ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) stock movement on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website). I am assuming there was one as otherwise tonights down will be a non starter.

**edit it left long rock at 1027, it needed another loco with it reaching OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) at 1704. I believe 57312 is the dead loco, and was pulled back to OOC dead**

I'm wondering if the rescue loco had worked the down, trying to find if there was another movement for a loco.

RTT will only show trains which have been pre-loaded into the system, so short notice  VSTP trains may not have even been timed.      The loco to work the "Demic" loco and stock up to OOC came down attached to 1C99 last night.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: