Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:51:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 315026 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2015, 23:06:55 »

.........may not have seen them or spoken to them in person, but I read the comments on FGW (First Great Western)'s Twitter feed from people stranded in the manner I alluded to, which seems to bear it out.

I promise you, spending your social time reading FGW's Twitter feed is a proven fast way to a nervous breakdown  Grin.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2015, 23:30:53 »

.........may not have seen them or spoken to them in person, but I read the comments on FGW (First Great Western)'s Twitter feed from people stranded in the manner I alluded to, which seems to bear it out.

I promise you, spending your social time reading FGW's Twitter feed is a proven fast way to a nervous breakdown  Grin.

I thought it was a comedy script. There is a woman on facebook who complains twice daily that her train was 1, 2 or 3 minutes late. She even moans when it's on time.

Back to topic...
How simple would it be to turn HST (High Speed Train) carriages into beds when they aren't needed anymore when electrification is finished?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2015, 23:45:09 »

Look at what you can do from the outset - might look familiar.

http://www.nswtrainlink.info/your_journey/fleet/xpt

Rode this from Melbourne to Sydney overnight. 

Anything is possible...
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2015, 00:14:32 »

It is? Maybe I should be off of work then Wink
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2015, 00:16:58 »

Of course the level of service is not good enough, however the re-wiring to run with HST (High Speed Train) power-cars would require the mass cancellation of the service while this was happening, as you cannot have a mix of re-wired and non re-wired coaches running in the same set.  So, do you think the service could survive a good month or so of permanent HST replacement?

Do the carriages have to be re-wired to be compatible with the Class 43s? Can it not be done the other way round? Replace the three phase auxilliary alternator in the HST power cars with a 1000v supply. HSTs already generate DC (Direct Current) current for the traction motors. It can't be beyond the wit of man to re-purpose the electric generation. Even at the cost of less power going to the traction motors. Hauling Sleeper stock won't require 125mph running.

I do have say though, I'm not completely conversant with how the Class 43's prime movers generate and distribute their electricity.

A retro alternative would be to fit each individual Sleeper carriage with batteries and dynamos.

Another alternative is to convert a few Mk3s to generator vans similar to those used by Iarnr^d ^ireann in their (now retired) BR (British Rail(ways)) Mk3 derived fleet.

But the best answer is, first, some new locos, and second, new rolling stock.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2015, 00:34:29 »

Yours is one voice of calm and reason in the gathering storm, Ollie.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2015, 05:02:53 »

Of course the level of service is not good enough, however the re-wiring to run with HST (High Speed Train) power-cars would require the mass cancellation of the service while this was happening, as you cannot have a mix of re-wired and non re-wired coaches running in the same set.  So, do you think the service could survive a good month or so of permanent HST replacement?

Even with the constraint of "ancient or modern only", it wouldn't require total replacement for any period.

a) One set at a time, so continue to run a full sleeper from Penzance on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights and from Paddington on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (or the other way round if I've picked the quieter or the two diagrams there)

b) With the second set, there would be the option of HST substitution (bearing in mind the effect on other rotas) or running a half length sleeper, enhanced with spare carriages (are there any?  Any chance to borrow from the Caledonian Sleeper?)

Alternative would be to run 2/3 length sleepers, converting the carriages 1/3 at a time.

The sleeper has indeed survived being off for couple of months during Dawlish - of course I'm not privy to the damage done, nor the damage that would be done during a conversion, but I don't see it would be as severe as "no sleeper at all for x months". Seasonallity would help - "This is a quiet time of year" said the conductor on my (rather busy!) local train a few days ago, and I imagine the sleeper 'suffers' similarly?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2015, 09:36:42 »

Any chance to borrow from the Caledonian Sleeper?
No need to borrow once the new stock for the Caledonian is delivered, but a shorter-term solution is probably needed.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2015, 11:01:25 »

Do the carriages have to be re-wired to be compatible with the Class 43s? Can it not be done the other way round? Replace the three phase auxilliary alternator in the HST power cars with a 1000v supply. HSTs already generate DC (Direct Current) current for the traction motors. It can't be beyond the wit of man to re-purpose the electric generation. Even at the cost of less power going to the traction motors. Hauling Sleeper stock won't require 125mph running.

I do have say though, I'm not completely conversant with how the Class 43's prime movers generate and distribute their electricity.

A retro alternative would be to fit each individual Sleeper carriage with batteries and dynamos.

Another alternative is to convert a few Mk3s to generator vans similar to those used by Iarnr^d ^ireann in their (now retired) BR (British Rail(ways)) Mk3 derived fleet.

But the best answer is, first, some new locos, and second, new rolling stock.

I don't know for sure, but I believe there is an option to do it the other way round - the issue then being you have dedicated power-cars for the service.  Power-cars still break down, so if you are not tied to a specific pair of them, you have more flexibility.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2015, 14:48:37 »

Look at what you can do from the outset - might look familiar.

http://www.nswtrainlink.info/your_journey/fleet/xpt

My late grandfather was seconded from BR (British Rail(ways)) to help with the introduction of the XPTs (the timetabling and service pattern in particular, I think). As an eight-year old one of my prized possessions was a little rotating cardboard dial that showed off the new journey times. I didn't know whether the trains were faster or slower than the previous ones, but I did know that Wagga Wagga was a brilliant placename.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2015, 15:31:34 »

When I passed OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) at around 8am this morning, the sleeper stock was being backed into the depot by a "Northern Belle" brown loco (class 47?).
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2015, 17:46:39 »

When I passed OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) at around 8am this morning, the sleeper stock was being backed into the depot by a "Northern Belle" brown loco (class 47?).
There are 4 'Northern Belle' Pullman liveried diesel locos I think. Two are class 47s and the other two are class 57/3 'Thunderbirds', same as the DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd) blue locos which have supplemented FirstGW's own pool of 4 class 57/6 locos.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2015, 18:25:58 »

57312,, here is a link to it having failed on Sunday night (not my video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxCfZ2N6c0
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2015, 20:57:07 »

What is the difference in the wiring between the sleepers and HST (High Speed Train)'s?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2015, 20:57:58 »

Not sure about the wiring, but I am pretty sure the voltage is different.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: