Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:58:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 314924 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2015, 21:02:20 »

Agree: I'm sure it's been discussed on the Coffee Shop forum before (I can't find it at the moment, due to our 'search' software being discomnadgerated  Roll Eyes ), but it's because the two are currently completely incompatible.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2015, 21:06:18 »

HSTs (High Speed Train) have up to 450V AC transferred through three-phase cables (hence why you shouldn't plug your phones into those luggage rack sockets at 125mph)..

Sleeper has 1000V DC (Direct Current), which is wired differently.

2 power cars could haul the sleeper every night, but the 57 needs to be running to provide the train supply.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2015, 21:07:17 »

Agree: I'm sure it's been discussed on the Coffee Shop forum before (I can't find it at the moment, due to our 'search' software being discomnadgerated  Roll Eyes ), but it's because the two are currently completely incompatible.  Wink Cheesy Grin

I take what I said about the lightbulb back...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2015, 21:12:50 »

What is the difference in the wiring between the sleepers and HST (High Speed Train)'s?

HST power cars deliver 3 phase AC current at, I believe 415v, direct to the various systems (aircon, lighting, heating) that the HST Mk3s use. Loco hauled Mk3s receive 1000v (not sure whether AC or DC (Direct Current), I suspect the latter) from the loco, converted to usable voltage by motor generators on each carriage to provide the 'hotel' power.

I think. And stand to be corrected by anyone more knowledgeable.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2015, 22:18:09 »

What is the difference in the wiring between the sleepers and HST (High Speed Train)'s?

HST power cars deliver 3 phase AC current at, I believe 415v, direct to the various systems (aircon, lighting, heating) that the HST Mk3s use. Loco hauled Mk3s receive 1000v (not sure whether AC or DC (Direct Current), I suspect the latter) from the loco, converted to usable voltage by motor generators on each carriage to provide the 'hotel' power.

Then rewire them so that the motor generators deliver 3 phase 415V, with all the hotel ssytems working at 230V AC (i.e a single phase of the 415V).  Include the wiring for a 415V through cable.  All the carriages are returned to service operating from the 1000V supply. 

When the changeover is made remove the 1000V jumpers, disconnect the generators from the 415V main and fit the new 415V jumpers.  The Motor generators and 1000V wiring can then be removed at a convenient time if necessary.   
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2015, 22:44:30 »

Then rewire them so that the motor generators deliver 3 phase 415V, with all the hotel ssytems working at 230V AC (i.e a single phase of the 415V).  Include the wiring for a 415V through cable.  All the carriages are returned to service operating from the 1000V supply. 

When the changeover is made remove the 1000V jumpers, disconnect the generators from the 415V main and fit the new 415V jumpers.  The Motor generators and 1000V wiring can then be removed at a convenient time if necessary.   

The first thing you need is the control cables that connect the two power cars.

Then 415/240V AC (or 400/230 V)  looks a good choice for a power, as it is what the world outside the railway works off. But the on-board equipment won't have been designed for that, which will make it more difficult. Heaters for 850 V can't easily bye run off lower voltages unless they have as lower-voltage elements wired in series, and then it depends. Lights are usually 120 V, and need to be run via the back-up battery float-charge system. Anything than can run off AC can be fed by a transformer, but the prevalence of DC in train supplies means that's less common than you would expect.

But really, is is so difficult to find a locomotive that works - reliably? There's no new technology, uniquely demanding environment, or other features of this sleeper service that make it harder to meet than on other railways, are there?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2015, 06:06:36 »

But really, is is so difficult to find a locomotive that works - reliably? There's no new technology, uniquely demanding environment, or other features of this sleeper service that make it harder to meet than on other railways, are there?
[/quote]

.....hear hear.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2015, 06:53:28 »

Surprising news of the week.... Tonight's down hauled by Pendennis Castle is running on time!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2015, 07:42:26 »

And the up was early to ladbroke grove then 8 late in to padd
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2015, 08:06:45 »

Apparently, it is rather difficult to find a diesel locomotive for passenger that works in this country. The only diesel LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) fleet that appears in the Modern Railways 'Golden Spanner' contests is Chiltern's 67+mrk3+DVT(resolve) sets, and they are bottom of the INTERCITY table, although in the latest figures did acheive a 32.7% improvement in reliability from the previous year. According to a topic on RailUK forum, Arriva Trains Wales had a spate of failures with thier 67-powered Y Gerallt Gymro service a while back. I suggested that perhaps the small fleet means the maintenance staff take a long time to get to know the stock well.

If you want to blame the class of locomotive used, there are not many other options other than old locomotives similar to the 57s used now. I think the only post-privatisation diesel locos suitable for passenger service are the class 67s and class 68s. Of course there are lots of relatively new class 66 locomotives, but using them for the sleeper would have the same result as using class 43s (IC125 power cars), no power to the coaches (for a different reason, class 43s supply incompattible power, but 66s won't provide power at all since they are freight locos).

If size of fleet is the problem, perhaps allocating a load of 57s and introducing some daytime LHCS services to free up DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) for other parts of the franchise will get the maintenance teams up to speed and improve reliablity.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2015, 08:46:15 »

I saw the down sleeper last night pass through Twyford and was surprised to see it top and tailed with a DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd) 57 on the back. Are they now basing a spare 57 at Penzance to deal with failures?
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2015, 09:00:05 »

I saw the down sleeper last night pass through Twyford and was surprised to see it top and tailed with a DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd) 57 on the back. Are they now basing a spare 57 at Penzance to deal with failures?

A fitter travels with the sleeper every night.  The 57 on the back is basically a mobile source of spares should..... when the front one fails. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2015, 09:24:58 »

A fitter travels with the sleeper every night.  The 57 on the back is basically a mobile source of spares should..... when the front one fails. 

What a desperate way to operate.
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2015, 10:33:06 »

What a desperate way to operate.

Would you rather they don't try at all? Just leave it where it fails?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2015, 12:20:00 »

If size of fleet is the problem, perhaps allocating a load of 57s and introducing some daytime LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) services to free up DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) for other parts of the franchise will get the maintenance teams up to speed and improve reliablity.

I really can't see how that would make much of a difference.  You might get a slight improvement in Class 57 reliability, but because you'd be running more trains with them, the reliability and resilience of other parts of the network would suffer.  The Class 57 are essentially 15 year old pieces of equipment bolted on to a 50 year old bodyshell and basic design.  They've pretty much had their day!  Ditto using HST (High Speed Train) power cars which would be at best a stop-gap measure that might mean they soldier on for a few more years, but they're also well past their sell-by date (personally I don't see them staying on the Cornish services beyond a couple of years before Class 222s arrive).  I don't want to sound too negative, but I worry about the reliability of the re-engined Class 73s to be used on the diesel sections of the Caledonian Sleeper services for the same reasons.

The Class 67 would be a much better bet, though they haven't exactly covered themselves in glory reliability wise either - though much better than the 57s of late and the figures are much better when they're not being used on push-pull services I suspect.  The perfect solution (if enough of them were to become available, via the current order or an addition to the current order) would be the new Class 68s - assuming they prove their reliability.

All of this only goes to prove the vulnerability of using a single power source, when there aren't anywhere near the number of rescue options there used to be, which I've been banging on about on here for years!   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: