Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
18:38 Barnstaple to Exmouth
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 19:51:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 316812 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2015, 00:28:33 »

It's suprising how many enfusiests travel on the sleeper think there would be uproar from them if fgw pulled the plug I met a guy once who travelled down from Scotland just to travel up to pad on the sleeper!

I suspect that would be the main source of any uproar that ensues, other than token protests from local politicians - however I think Chris B has hit the nail on the head with his last post.

Nonsense.  I've met plenty of politicians on-board the sleeper from the SW who regularly use and value the service.  Remember when the service was under threat a few years back - many people complaining and campaigning - it wasn't a few spotters crying with their notepads out.

Just because the timings don't work with your life does not mean they do not work for others.

I'm sure the current situation of multiple 57s, HST (High Speed Train) double PC's and random 57s turning up from other companies will naturally bring out more spotters than usual.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2015, 09:10:31 »

57312 is on a rugby special tonight. Let's hope it performs better for the rugby.

.....let's hope it performed better than Wales!  Grin
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2015, 15:20:44 »

Virgin Trains no longer make routine use of Class 57/3 'Thunderbirds'. All have been de-named and re-liveried. All 16 have found other homes. 12 are with Direct Rail Services in their 'Compass' liveries (with a couple in Riviera Trains' 'Northern Belle' livery and one in Network Rail yellow). The other 4 are with West Coast Railways, 3 in WCRC Maroon and one in plain blue.
I am aware that the 'Thunderbirds' have been re-liveried and that all but one have lost their International Rescue nameplates. However, I believe VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) contracted DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd) to continue providing the Thunderbird service and indeed, according to this issue of the north Wales rail weekly online newsletter (nwnews), "DRS continue to provide a 'Thunderbird' loco at Polmadie, Crewe, Stafford, Preston and Euston ready for use in any rescue missions".

EDIT: Added link to relevant issue of North Wales newsletter, now that the 'nwnwews' link points to a newer issue.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:13:18 by Rhydgaled » Logged

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2015, 20:28:22 »

(The link to nwnews points at the current issue, and will no longer point at the same page once the next issue comes out).

No problem, Rhydgaled: their website allows access to archive issues as well. See the edition dated 2 February 2015.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2015, 22:02:46 »

Virgin Trains no longer make routine use of Class 57/3 'Thunderbirds'. All have been de-named and re-liveried. All 16 have found other homes. 12 are with Direct Rail Services in their 'Compass' liveries (with a couple in Riviera Trains' 'Northern Belle' livery and one in Network Rail yellow). The other 4 are with West Coast Railways, 3 in WCRC Maroon and one in plain blue.
I am aware that the 'Thunderbirds' have been re-liveried and that all but one have lost their International Rescue nameplates. However, I believe VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) contracted DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd) to continue providing the Thunderbird service and indeed, according to the lastest issue of the north Wales rail weekly online newsletter (nwnews), "DRS continue to provide a 'Thunderbird' loco at Polmadie, Crewe, Stafford, Preston and Euston ready for use in any rescue missions". (The link to nwnews points at the current issue, and will no longer point at the same page once the next issue comes out).

You are correct. I should have been clearer that Virgin no longer use all 16 'Thunderbirds' and it is no longer they that lease them directly. The lessee of the remaining Class 57/3s used for occasional 'Thunderbird' duties is DRS. And yes, 57307 retains her 'Lady Penelope' nameplate alongside a unique DRS 'Compass' livery with a very visible warning:

(Unsure of the copyright here, so only a link to the image) http://www.nwrail.org.uk/mr-57307-Crewe--Feb9-compos.jpg

DRS information on the 'Thunderbirds': http://www.directrailservices.com/virgin-thunderbirds.html

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2015, 06:59:36 »

Up Sleeper this morning failed in the Thatcham area with a hot axle box on 57306.  Train limped to Reading at 10mph where it terminated. 
Would imagine the stock will be stuck in a platform at Reading for a while.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2015, 07:47:55 »

Confirmed - spotted at 7:45am in Platform 6 - presumably moved there to minimise main line disruption during the rush hour
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2015, 07:56:10 »

Do you mean Platform 6? (An SE platform).  Saw it in 8 this morning 0645 with a loco on the country end.  Train looked dead and emptied.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:47 »

I did a double take - as I first thought it was 8 - but then noticed it was behind the shortened end of P7. So that's 6 ?

But I was on an HST (High Speed Train) moving through RDG(resolve) at good speed - so it was brief. Maybe my aging brain and failing eyes were not fully functional (it is pre-coffee)
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2015, 08:04:40 »

RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) would suggest my coffee denied body is in the wrong. Nothing moving through P8 this AM at RDG(resolve) that I can see.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2015, 09:31:11 »

Making it as far as reading sounds an improvement on recent times!  Roll Eyes

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2015, 09:51:43 »

It was stuck on P8 this morning @ 07:30 with no power car on the country end. There was a non-HST (High Speed Train) power car (sorry I'm not a rail expert) on the London end and a few people in high vis gear standing around the door.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2015, 10:20:56 »

Stock has now been moved out to the east of Reading. Another Sunday night service disrupted again.  Sad
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2015, 15:19:28 »

This was finally rescued around 12:30, by an FGW (First Great Western) 57 from what I've been told.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O72328/2015/02/09/advanced
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2015, 15:33:40 »

Not quite. The failed 57 is still residing outside Reading as of 1530. All coaches have gone though.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: