16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 14:30:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 317276 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2015, 17:54:52 »

I see there is a set of sleeper stock at laira today. Must be having some tlc? And did I read somewhere that sleepers will be hst sets this weekend?

I was just about to post the same. From RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) the set in Laira worked the down on Wednesday night then ran ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) penzance to Laira Wednesday afternoon.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2015, 18:03:23 »

So if I'm correct that means both sets are down here? and I wonder how many people will be using the night hsts or even know it's an hst service obvious the people who tried booking a birth will know. Well least it would be a quicker service lol
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2015, 20:05:53 »

So if I'm correct that means both sets are down here? and I wonder how many people will be using the night hsts or even know it's an hst service obvious the people who tried booking a birth will know. Well least it would be a quicker service lol

Correct. Tuesday night down is HST (High Speed Train) London to plymouth where it will be subbed with the sleeper set at Laira. Depending on the reading works that set could go from either paddington or waterloo.
Tuesday up is a sleeper set to reposition them
There are also at least 3 class 57s down west this weekend. 57604 and a DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd) class 57 at penzance and there is a FGW (First Great Western) class 57 at Laira.

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2015, 22:35:52 »

According to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) its Monday night not Tuesday that its an HST (High Speed Train) to Plymouth with the sleeper onwards, Up is the sleeper set.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 22:41:17 by Adelante_CCT » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2015, 22:56:28 »

Full details from the Easter Guide

The Night Riviera Sleeper
Friday 3 to Monday 6 April
London to Penzance
Departs from London Paddington at 2233 on the night of Thursday 2 April.

On Friday 3, Sunday 5 and Monday 6 April the Sleeper will not operate. Instead there will be an overnight High Speed Train service from London Waterloo to
Penzance offering seated accommodation only.

Penzance to London
Runs normally from Penzance to London Paddington on Wednesday 1 April.

On Thursday 2, Friday 3 and Sunday 5 April the Sleeper will not operate. Instead there will be an overnight High Speed Train service from Penzance to
London Waterloo offering seated accommodation only.

Tuesday 7 to Saturday 11 April
London to Penzance
From Tuesday 7 April to Friday 10 April the Sleeper will run normally from London Paddington to Penzance.

Penzance to London
From Monday 6 April to Friday 10 April the Sleeper will run normally from Penzance to London Paddington.

Sunday 12 April

London to Penzance
Retimed to depart from London Paddington at 0310 on Monday 13 April.

Penzance to London
Runs normally, departing Penzance at 2115.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2015, 23:09:41 »

obvious the people who tried booking a birth will know.

I was just wondering if this alternative birthing arrangement is available through the NHS?  Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2015, 09:10:10 »

Has anyone on here got experience of an "overnight HST (High Speed Train) service" rather than a sleeper? I can't imagine it's the most enjoyable experience or conducive to getting much kip, especially in Standard class?

Is catering available throughout the night?
higthomas

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2015, 19:19:01 »

Why cant the sleeper operate out of Waterloo?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2015, 20:44:12 »

This is a guess, but the sleeper stock is Mk 3.  As has been noted on another thread this diversionary weekend, Mk 3 stock can only run over third rail if the bogies are of a particular type (Short Swing Link). Some HST (High Speed Train) stock was so designed when the Cross Country sets were ordered that were planned be used between Basingstoke and Poole. Any other Mk 3 stock, including many HST vehicles, and also the sleeper stock, is not be able to run into Waterloo.

You've also got the issue that a sleeper service requires more platform occupation time, and whilst unlikely to be a problem at 2300, is certainly an issue on its arrival from the West Country in the morning rush hour. Though that may be less of an issue over the bank holiday.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2015, 21:50:02 »

If I recall correctly the sleepers used to run to Waterloo rather than Paddington for a period of time (via Kensington Olympia).  Can't remember exactly when but may have been in the late 1990s Undecided
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2015, 22:09:22 »

There is also nowhere to service the sleeper stock after it would arrive in Waterloo. First you'd need a stabled locomotive nearby to haul the stock out as there are no release points at Waterloo for the arriving locomotive. Then you'd need to get the stock to somewhere it can be serviced and that is, realistically, only Old Oak Common. That means drivers with the right route knowledge to move the set through West London.

And if there's a failure? A not uncommon occurrence with the Night Riviera these days. SWT (South West Trains) and Network Rail would not be impressed if one of their platforms or approach tracks was out of action in the morning rush hour.

Just too risky logistically for a relatively small number of passengers. So, while not ideal, an overnight HST (High Speed Train) is the best compromise.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2015, 22:48:12 »

If I recall correctly the sleepers used to run to Waterloo rather than Paddington for a period of time (via Kensington Olympia).  Can't remember exactly when but may have been in the late 1990s Undecided

They did, late 90s or even early 00s, as I recall reading the timetables as a child when visiting my grandads planning trips. He left the UK (United Kingdom) in 2004. I would imagine I was somewhere between 10 and 14 to show such an interest yet still recall the memories.
My grandad is responsible for my interests as he used to take me on trips most weekends by rail.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2015, 22:55:44 »

According to the following link, Great Western Trains ran the Sleeper to and from Waterloo from May 1995 to September 1998.

http://www.avoe05.dsl.pipex.com/Sheepcote%20Lane%20curve.htm

Things were very different 20 years ago.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2015, 07:48:32 »

Thanks BNM.  Memory not as bad as I thought then Roll Eyes Tongue
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2015, 11:08:25 »

According to the following link, Great Western Trains ran the Sleeper to and from Waterloo from May 1995 to September 1998.

http://www.avoe05.dsl.pipex.com/Sheepcote%20Lane%20curve.htm

Things were very different 20 years ago.
Does that mean the loco-hauled mark3s are the right type (Short Swing Link?) to run over 3rd rail then, and it is only some IC125 trailer mark3s that can't go on 3rd rail routes?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: