No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 00:59:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 318134 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 23, 2015, 16:37:20 »

A costly and short-term solution I'd have thought?  Better to lease/buy some Class 68s, which seem to be settling in quite well on Chiltern?

Possibly, my suggestion is by no means the only option and yours might be a better choice, doing nothing is not a realistic option.
HST (High Speed Train) power cars should be affordable when fewer are required for day services, but new 68s might be better still.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 24, 2015, 16:08:30 »

someone jokingly said to me a few weeks ago why don't they use a steam loco for the sleeper. I know it's not a realistic idea but I wonder would a steam loco be more reliable? and wouldn't it be nice to see a West Country loco hauling the sleeper I wonder if passenger numbers would increase to
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 24, 2015, 16:30:22 »

I doubt that many more people would use the sleeper if a steamer was used, the idea of the sleeper is to sleep  Smiley and for most of the year it is dark for most of the trip.
A well maintained steamer might be a bit more reliable than the diesels used now, but that is not saying much !

I would hope for reliable diesels, old or new for the sleeper, and the odd daytime steam special.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 24, 2015, 19:30:55 »

If you used steam, you'd need a generator carriage too for hotel power.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2015, 20:09:05 »

..and a few water stops.
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 24, 2015, 20:41:06 »

and where would you turn the loco around at pz and padd also stocking up on coal
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #291 on: July 24, 2015, 21:40:06 »

and where would you turn the loco around at pz and padd also stocking up on coal

Where there's a will ... St Blazey, via Greenford and Southall.   But I don't think there should be a way taken except for a very rare historic celebration ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2015, 21:46:03 »

Sad no buffet on up sleeper tonight! due to a crew shortage I don't know if this will be for the entire journey. but where am I supposed to get a cup of aero hot chocolate to now? I do like the aero hot chocolate a lot!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2015, 21:50:07 »

Usually the same person works the buffet throughout the whole journey so I fear you may be out of luck.  The last time that happened to me they did at least announce it before departure from Penzance so there was time to rush to the shops for supplies.

Hopefully anyone joining further up the line will have seen your post and be prepared.  Grin
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2015, 21:56:13 »

luckily I bought some food before hand if I known the buffet was shut I would have got a coffee beforehand but I was to late for that   Huh
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2015, 22:05:37 »

Busiest night of the week on the up too. Hopefully it won't stop you getting a hot drink in the morning - although there is always the first class lounge at Paddington.
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2015, 22:14:33 »

luckily I'm only going as far as plymouth. I normally get a drink to try and stay awake which I struggle with after a busy weekend. I just feel sorry for everyone else who's going all the way.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 17, 2015, 12:43:02 »

It's three years or so since I was a weekly user of the sleeper, so I may be behind the times, but there always seemed to be a minimum of two crew working the buffet..?

Also have to say this would never happen in the hotel sector, someone would jump in and takeover rather than have the bar closed and turn away paying customers. All seems a bit British Rail tbh.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 18, 2015, 08:27:07 »

Down sleeper failed last night, everyone chucked off at Newton Abbot for buses to Penzance, failed train blocked the line too which didn't help this morning's Westcountry services
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 18, 2015, 09:55:48 »

I think the delays to other services were more due to a problem with the signalling in the Totnes area.  The sleeper was terminated in one of the three platforms at Newton Abbot which may have incurred minor delays until it was moved to Laira by two back to back HST (High Speed Train) power cars.

I don't know which loco was involved this morning, but the previous night's up sleeper was delayed at Penzance while an oil leak was fixed on 57602 Restormel Castle.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: