16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 11:03:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[146] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[59] Signage - not making it easy ...
[12] IETs at Melksham
[11] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[10] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 317257 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 25, 2016, 18:11:57 »

..........a few problems on the sleepers over the last few days I understand?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 25, 2016, 18:18:25 »

Unusual one last night on the up.  Service was topped and tailed with two locos but the wrong one was at the front apparently.  Multiple shunt moves at Truro to put it right which took 80 minutes and delayed the following Cross Country Service by over an hour.

Sleeper recovered most of its lost time by the time it reached London.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 25, 2016, 18:43:35 »

Unusual one last night on the up.  Service was topped and tailed with two locos but the wrong one was at the front apparently.  Multiple shunt moves at Truro to put it right which took 80 minutes and delayed the following Cross Country Service by over an hour.

Excuse my loco ignorance, but aren't they both the same?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 25, 2016, 19:30:09 »

Yes they are the same when they work, except the one that failed the night before was at the front instead of the back where it should of been as a poorly loco.
I am on the down every morning this week from Liskeard to Truro. Tuesday morning down had 57603 on the front and 57303 on the back - 57303 had a reportedly poorly compressor. The down lost 30 mins between Plymouth and Penzance against timetable despite a lot of padding on Tuesday morning. I suspect both 57303 and 57603 were poorly.
57604 this mornings down was 5 early arriving in Truro.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 25, 2016, 21:26:21 »

If both are in full working order and are of a suitable type, then yes they are the same and it matters not which one is which end.
In practice though a variety of faults and failures can render a loco available to assist in moving the train, but unfit to be at the front.
Examples include defective headlight, damaged windscreen, TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) not working, radio not working, and in cold weather cab heater not working.
In other cases a sick but not yet dead loco might be attached at the rear in order to provide ETS (Electric Train Supply) (electric train supply for heating, cooling, lighting etc) The train can then be hauled by loco at the front, perhaps a freight engine not equipped to supply ETS.

Various other permutations exist. In many cases, both locos may be at the front, but due to a defect on one they have to be in the right order.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 25, 2016, 22:43:27 »

Fascinating, broadgage. You wouldn't fly a plane with a lot wrong, but a loco can be barely alive, yet A1 fit for service!

Actually, I have flown an aircraft with duff lights - acceptable except for the fin beacon if the flight is in daylight - and with a faulty nav radio - I found my way by looking out of the window. In both cases, it was straight into the hangar after landing. Is there no-one to mend locos?

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 25, 2016, 22:46:48 »

On the Tuesday morning down 57603/303 there was what looked like a (mechanic???). A man with overalls and a high vis GWR (Great Western Railway) jacket kept walking through the train.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 25, 2016, 22:58:47 »

Officially known as a "fitter"  Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 26, 2016, 05:32:10 »

.......carrying a ball of string, a roll of gaffer tape and Trigger's broom!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 26, 2016, 09:02:06 »

.......carrying a ball of string, a roll of gaffer tape and Trigger's broom!

Not forgetting the quick setting epoxy adhesive, the cable ties and some galvanised iron wire !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 26, 2016, 09:40:22 »

And, more commonly these days, a laptop computer for diagnostic checks.  Though that probably wouldn't be the case for a Class 57!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 26, 2016, 09:52:47 »

From what I have read on these pages over the years it would seem that the Jeremy Clarkson fix-all - a large hammer - would be most appropriate for 57s.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 26, 2016, 17:03:25 »

57303 was on the rear of the down this morning, 57605 leading.
57605s first outing since spewing most of its fluids over the line near Westbury
I guess on the balance of probability between the two of them they'd make it!

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 27, 2016, 05:23:28 »

Well the down sleeper has fallen over again......didn't leave Paddington until 0311 and is terminating at Plymouth.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 27, 2016, 05:36:43 »

Well the down sleeper has fallen over again......didn't leave Paddington until 0311 and is terminating at Plymouth.

It's now showing as running to Penzance only stopping at Truro after Plymouth. Currently 195 late. Expected into Penzance at 1118!
No good for me getting to work though.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: