Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:01:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 314948 times)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #420 on: February 06, 2017, 15:59:17 »

Loco & Stock ran as 5Z70 09+00 Laira to Old Oak Common this morning
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 19, 2017, 13:53:33 »

Anyone on the Up sleeper tonight?

21:15 Penzance to London Paddington due 05:03

Facilities on the 21:15 Penzance to London Paddington due 05:03.
Will be formed of 6 coaches instead of 7.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Additional Facilities Information
Due to a fault with coach H, this coach will be unavailable. Customer's with sleeper berth reservations for Coach H on the Night Riviera Sleeper are advised to contact GWR (Great Western Railway) customer services.
GWR customer services: 0345 7000 125.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 19, 2017, 18:32:38 »

Oh dear - especially at the end of half term week.
Missenden-Mike

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 20, 2017, 08:21:06 »

Just to show that it's not all doom and gloom on the Riviera Sleeper. We travelled down to Penzance on Thu/Fri, we made use of the complimentary drinks and snacks in the 1st class waiting room, then boarded to enjoy the onboard bar, and travelled out of London (on time to the second) in the bar seating area. We then retired to our 'snug' cabin, that we'd been welcomed to by the friendly steward a little earlier.

I couldn't tell you if we arrived at the interim stations on time as I was sound asleep. But our breakfast was delivered on time at 6:45 and we arrived in Penzance on time.  So all in all a great way of travelling to Cornwall in what would normally be 'wasted' time.

We travelled back on the 09:47 which arrived into Paddington a couple of minutes early, but it's not quite as relaxing as the sleeper  Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #424 on: February 20, 2017, 09:00:53 »

Just to show that it's not all doom and gloom on the Riviera Sleeper. We travelled down to Penzance on Thu/Fri, we made use of the complimentary drinks and snacks in the 1st class waiting room, then boarded to enjoy the onboard bar, and travelled out of London (on time to the second) in the bar seating area. We then retired to our 'snug' cabin, that we'd been welcomed to by the friendly steward a little earlier.

I couldn't tell you if we arrived at the interim stations on time as I was sound asleep. But our breakfast was delivered on time at 6:45 and we arrived in Penzance on time.  So all in all a great way of travelling to Cornwall in what would normally be 'wasted' time.

We travelled back on the 09:47 which arrived into Paddington a couple of minutes early, but it's not quite as relaxing as the sleeper  Wink

Welcome to the forum, Mike!    Glad the sleeper worked well for you.

Where something goes wrong, it makes news.   Where it goes right (especially if it routinely goes right), that's no news and doesn't make the headlines.    Nature of the beast?

Wonderful to see real life and good news comments posted.  Satisfied customer - I expect you'll be using the sleeper again??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 20, 2017, 09:09:06 »

I agree the sleeper is a great way to travel.  I have used it four times since Christmas.

I have not had a problem on any of those trips - apart from on one occasion someone trying to claim my berth, but it turned out they were a day early!

The challenge with the sleeper is it relies on limited resources which need to be at the extreme ends of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s operating area six nights a week.  Therefore it doesn't take much cause a problem.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:57:17 by bobm » Logged
Missenden-Mike

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 20, 2017, 09:13:00 »

Thank you Grahame, as you say it makes news when it goes wrong, hence my attempt to provide a little balance.

We probably won't use it again though, it was an itch that we wanted to scratch and it well and truly ticked the box for us.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 20, 2017, 21:34:49 »

I hope the 0947 was on a different day. I'd want at least a day to explore the area before I returned.

I have not had a problem on any of those trips - apart from on one occasion someone trying to claim my berth, but it turned out they were a day early!

Earlier this month at Schipol two young ladies were turned away from my flight at the gate because they were a month early. The ticket barriers into airside let them through apparently.
Missenden-Mike

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 21, 2017, 14:02:21 »

I hope the 0947 was on a different day. I'd want at least a day to explore the area before I returned.

Ha! Yes, we came back on Sunday morn  Smiley
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 05, 2017, 20:31:40 »

Rough weather? 

21:45 Penzance to London Paddington due 05:08

21:45 Penzance to London Paddington due 05:08 will be starting late from Penzance.
This is due to train crew being delayed.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 05, 2017, 22:35:09 »

The 15:06 from London Paddington which the TM(resolve) for the sleeper, at least, catches from Exeter to work the train was terminated at Plymouth after being delayed at Newton Abbot for over half an hour and then skipping Totnes due to mechanical problems.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 05, 2017, 22:51:34 »

Eventually left 58 minutes late.  Inconvenient for those waiting at stations in Cornwall, but should make up the time by London.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 14, 2017, 18:14:44 »

Travelled back from Truro to Exeter on the sleeper last night after a sunny day in Falmouth. Had a seat booked in coach A, which was the original 2 + 1 layout, and although the interior was somewhat jaded, it was a most comfortable 2.5 hours in a wide, reclining seat with some wine and nibbles.

However, I  also checked out the second seating coach, which had been refurbished and can best be described as "high density". Whilst very smart in the green livery, it felt claustrophobic and a retrograde step backwards in terms of comfort and privacy, with barely any tables and rows of airline seats squashed together.

The investment in the sleeper is hugely welcome, but not this new seat layout.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 19, 2017, 18:02:45 »

(Not a problem but wasn't worth starting a new thread..)

Any reason why the sleeper will be spending some days at Reading depot from October?

5A40
5C99
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #434 on: August 19, 2017, 18:21:14 »

(Not a problem but wasn't worth starting a new thread..)

Any reason why the sleeper will be spending some days at Reading depot from October?

5A40
5C99

Getting used to its new home when OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) closes

New refurbed carriages have systems not supported at OOC and at present can only be emptied at Longrock

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: