Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:27:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 314939 times)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #660 on: April 04, 2019, 09:47:05 »

Alternative locomotives, what has happened to all those class 67's that were redundant following the cessation of the Royal Mail rail operation and closure of the RailNet centres, they might just be more reliable than the 57's.

This suggestion has been done to death over the years and, in a nutshell, it is not practicable to use 67s for various reasons.    The performance of the 57s has improved immensely over the last 2 years.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 04, 2019, 10:04:42 »

The 57s are performing OK, but will need replacing sooner rather than later.  Rather than modify and use other stock approaching the end of its life, such as HST (High Speed Train) power cars, I’d favour Class 68s, or two Class 88s (if they would provide enough oomph up the Cornish banks), or even a Class 68 and 88 combination if possible.  The 88 could draw power from the OHLE when available and also act as emergency rescue for the 68 if in difficulty.  Leasing costs might be the deciding factor though.

When the direct award ends and a proper franchise is let I would expect a longer term strategy to be clearer, including replacement of the carriages during the life of that franchise.  I don’t expect the sleeper to finish anytime soon.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 04, 2019, 11:18:28 »

The 57s are performing OK, but will need replacing sooner rather than later.  Rather than modify and use other stock approaching the end of its life, such as HST (High Speed Train) power cars, I’d favour Class 68s, or two Class 88s (if they would provide enough oomph up the Cornish banks), or even a Class 68 and 88 combination if possible.  The 88 could draw power from the OHLE when available and also act as emergency rescue for the 68 if in difficulty.  Leasing costs might be the deciding factor though.

When the direct award ends and a proper franchise is let I would expect a longer term strategy to be clearer, including replacement of the carriages during the life of that franchise.  I don’t expect the sleeper to finish anytime soon.

Other than Sundays (up) and Thurs/Fridays (down), how busy is the sleeper generally?

Is it profitable?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 04, 2019, 11:55:13 »

I don’t know.  I last used it in the early 90s!  I believe from what I’ve heard that overall it just about breaks even, but if it’s getting busier as others suggest then hopefully it’ll turn a profit, albeit a modest one.

Many people use it for ‘the experience’, so whilst a flight to/from Newquay will offer some competition, certainly if you live in or near Newquay, and it’s good that there’s another option, I doubt it’ll affect passenger numbers too much.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 04, 2019, 13:54:57 »

The 57s are fairly reliable, we just hear about them every time they fail because of the service they’re hauling!

Where’s the discussion and calling for the replacement of the 150 that failed at Bodmin on Sunday, or the one that failed last week on the Looe branch. That’s more 150 failures in Cornwall alone in the last week than 57 failures across the network!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 04, 2019, 14:23:09 »

The failure of the loco on the sleeper is arguably of greater importance than a failure of most other services.
In many cases daytime passengers can take the next service, being turfed of the sleeper in order to await a non sleeper service is likely to be a much greater inconvenience.

This is an argument for re-purposed HST (High Speed Train) power cars since a sleeper thus powered should be able to complete its journey on one engine if need be.
Proceeding at reduced performance and loosing time would be preferred by most passengers to changing to a non sleeper train.
The disruption to other trains would also be reduced.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 04, 2019, 14:30:17 »

The 57s are fairly reliable, we just hear about them every time they fail because of the service they’re hauling!

..and given the scarcity of 57s in GWR (Great Western Railway) land they are often harder to rescue when they do fail.   The errant loco was left in the sidings at Par after the rest of the train had been taken to Plymouth yesterday.  I don't know if it is still there.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #667 on: April 04, 2019, 14:47:49 »

..and given the scarcity of 57s in GWR (Great Western Railway) land they are often harder to rescue when they do fail. 

Perhaps there's a case for standardisation - using 802/4s - which would differ from 802/0s purely in their internal configurations.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 04, 2019, 15:04:52 »

I’ll side with Broadgage there in that underfloor engines are not suitable for a sleeper carriage.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 04, 2019, 15:13:50 »

I’ll side with Broadgage there in that underfloor engines are not suitable for a sleeper carriage.

Not only that, but IET (Intercity Express Train) style beds if as hard as the seats might find little favour. Though a plywood base covered with 4mm of foam has the merit of being cheaper than a proper bed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 04, 2019, 21:51:41 »

I think you'll find that that they only drag that extra locomotive between Paddington and Reading, so as to make the reversal at the platform slicker. It is added and removed at Reading, where it quite likely does spend its time doing not a lot. If the sleeper did drag a second locomotive all the way, then of course that would be a spare, available on the spot.

Thanks Stuving - I never realised that they only "topped and tailed" between Reading and Paddington. I had occasionally wondered how they manged a train in each direction with two locos when the pool looked so small. Looks like my suggestion at least smoked out who likes 57s and who does not!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 05, 2019, 09:53:49 »

I think you'll find that that they only drag that extra locomotive between Paddington and Reading, so as to make the reversal at the platform slicker. It is added and removed at Reading, where it quite likely does spend its time doing not a lot. If the sleeper did drag a second locomotive all the way, then of course that would be a spare, available on the spot.

Thanks Stuving - I never realised that they only "topped and tailed" between Reading and Paddington. I had occasionally wondered how they manged a train in each direction with two locos when the pool looked so small. Looks like my suggestion at least smoked out who likes 57s and who does not!
Hasn’t the topping and tailing from Reading only been fairly recent, since they lost the use of Old Oak Common?

Paul
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:55:11 by paul7755 » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 05, 2019, 09:57:17 »

Yes - the loco used to come off Old Oak and follow the train into Paddington and couple up on platform 1.

There was a time in the recent past when the 57s were being particularly troublesome that the trains ran topped and tailed throughout and had a travelling fitter on board.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 13, 2019, 21:47:02 »

May 13 from Journey Check
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington due 05:12
Facilities on the 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington due 05:12.
This is due to a shortage of trains because of extra safety inspections.
Additional Facilities Information
The sleeper service will be formed of a 9-car Intercity Express Train due to a fault on the original sleeper stock.
Additional Information
Due to a resourcing issue we are unable to operate this evenings Sleeper service between London Paddington and Penzance / Penzance and London Paddington.

We have arranged for this service to be supplemented by our regular High Speed train which will offer a Standard and First Class seating service only. There will be no accommodation facilities.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 13, 2019, 21:52:48 »

Think that might be the first time the sleeper has been replaced by an IET (Intercity Express Train) rather than an HST (High Speed Train). Not that will much comfort for those involved. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: