Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 21:21:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[263] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[32] Cornish delays
[30] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[17] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 318363 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: January 11, 2023, 19:39:42 »

Brake problems on the rear loco and wheels locked.  Another driver saw sparks as they passed. 
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 11, 2023, 22:02:46 »

Ah that may have woken someone up, thanks for the explanation.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #872 on: March 08, 2023, 03:33:22 »

Oops.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G39092/2023-03-07/detailed#allox_id=0

As I post at 03h30, the up sleeper is just passing Liskeard. 248 minutes down.
Whilst there is a lot of make up time in their schedule, it's going to be a long night for passengers.

21:45 Penzance to London Paddington due 05:08
07/03/23 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington due 05:08 is being delayed between Par and Bodmin Parkway and is now expected to be 242 minutes late.
This is due to a fault on this train.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 08, 2023, 10:48:02 »

Arrived at 8am.  Perfect time for a good nights sleep!  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 08, 2023, 10:50:08 »

Especially if you were waiting to join at Plymouth where it didn't arrive until 4am rather than just before midnight!
hoover50

Class 50 at Swindon

View Profile Email
« Reply #875 on: March 08, 2023, 13:22:35 »

Perfect time for a good nights sleep!)

I very much doubt it - At some point in the proceedings this morning, the usual sleeper set was swapped out for an IET (Intercity Express Train)Cheesy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 08, 2023, 13:28:55 »

I was wondering that as the usual movement to take the second loco out of the depot at Reading was cancelled. Then the ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) move to Reading Traincare Depot only went as far as Ladbroke Grove.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 08, 2023, 21:42:51 »

Looks to be confirmed.  Empty sleeper stock left Plymouth for Reading via Bristol Temple Meads at 11:15.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #878 on: March 09, 2023, 07:39:24 »

Perfect time for a good nights sleep!)

I very much doubt it - At some point in the proceedings this morning, the usual sleeper set was swapped out for an IET (Intercity Express Train)Cheesy

Swapped at Plymouth.
I noticed the sleeper went into platform 8.
15 minutes later a 1A50 appeared on platform 4 whilst the sleeper was still on 8.
Noticed then the original sleeper turned into 5R50 (? from memory) and the new 1A50 set off towards London.
I'm guessing the 04h54 for Paddington was hijacked at short notice.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 09, 2023, 08:15:53 »

A detailed report from Craig Munday on the CRS website http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/ go to March 2023 page:

“A particularly soggy night saw the Night Riviera in trouble at Treesmill, near Par. The loco 57605 suffered a loss of power and declared a failure. Single Line Working (SLW) was implemented Par to Lostwithiel over the down main line for the Voyager 2C80 caught behind. I was Pilot, and colleagues including Gareth Dood kindly assisted clipping up the points at Lostwithiel with no facing point locks (FPLs (Facing Point Lock)). Two facing crossovers to the movement made this procedure relatively straightforward.

It was eerie passing the sleeper train at a stand enroute, fully lit and warm with the 57 purposefully humming away on the front.

SLW was cancelled and arrangements made to propel the train back to Par to allow the coupling of a Castle set scrambled from Long Rock. The short bar coupling expertly coupled on by GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Steve Cocks. The delicate manoeuvering of the Castle set to stop inch perfect  to allow the coupling pin to be attached in appalling weather by Driver Keith was skillful to say the least.

The ensemble got away around 3am and was replaced by a Hitachi set at Plymouth for the journey onward.”
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 09, 2023, 08:19:05 »

Lower photo by Craig Munday on Twitter shows the rescue by the HST (High Speed Train)

https://twitter.com/craigmunday1/status/1633594884664745984?s=61&t=VlafMC5gF9tidw36b1Y8JQ
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 10, 2023, 08:09:20 »

What will they do when HSTs (High Speed Train) are no longer available to rescue the sleeper.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #882 on: March 10, 2023, 08:41:13 »

What will they do when HSTs (High Speed Train) are no longer available to rescue the sleeper.

I wondered that ...

Perhaps it is time for a next generation sleeper that does not need rescuing in any special way, and does not have the same high problem rating of the current trains which seem to be showing their age in a less than brilliant reliability.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 10, 2023, 09:49:16 »

I wondered that ...

Perhaps it is time for a next generation sleeper that does not need rescuing in any special way, and does not have the same high problem rating of the current trains which seem to be showing their age in a less than brilliant reliability.

Given that this thread is not far coming up for 10 years I think it's definitely time!
Would a class 67 or 68 be suitable for such duties, or are there issues with ETH/power incompatibilities?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 10, 2023, 14:15:48 »

The best solution IMHO (in my humble opinion) would be an order for some new electro-diesel locos (Class 88 or similar) and some of the excellent CAF Mark 5 Sleeper carriages.

That'll cost money though. Something the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are loathe to spend at the moment. Only when the South West's MPs (Member of Parliament) start piping up will the likelihood of such spending be considered.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: