10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:22:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onwards  (Read 313977 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: March 10, 2023, 14:27:44 »

What will they do when HSTs (High Speed Train) are no longer available to rescue the sleeper.

Either a GWR (Great Western Railway) 57 or a freight loco would be used…as would have been the case in this example had it happened away from where the HSTs still operate.

Naturally the freight company would charge GWR the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) handsomely for their troubles and it would likely have resulted in a bigger delay.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 10, 2023, 16:43:58 »

There was a time when reliability was a regular issue that both sleepers ran top and tailed with a 57 at each end rather than just between Reading and London.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 10, 2023, 20:52:39 »

I've not used either since the new Calsleeper stock came into service or the refreshed GWR (Great Western Railway), ditto: online reviews and photos suggest that the GWR offering is streets ahead from the point of view of design. CAF do not seem to have discovered how to illuminate an environment designed for rest, and that saw-tooth table in the Calsleeper lounge car looks inflexible and somewhat aggressive. Their previous stock at the end of its days was somewhat fault-filled and that tradition seems to have been carried over into the new.

Mark
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 10, 2023, 22:22:56 »

The real thing which lets the GWR (Great Western Railway) sleeper down is catering.  To me a bed is a bed. 

On the Scottish sleepers you can get a proper meal while down south you might get a sandwich if you are lucky.

Agreed the journey on the Cally is longer but not exceptionally so.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 11, 2023, 15:01:28 »

The real thing which lets the GWR (Great Western Railway) sleeper down is catering.  To me a bed is a bed. 

On the Scottish sleepers you can get a proper meal while down south you might get a sandwich if you are lucky.

Agreed the journey on the Cally is longer but not exceptionally so.

I couldn't fault the 'Full Scottish breakfast' consumed whilst crossing Rannoch Moor  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #890 on: March 29, 2023, 13:50:08 »

for the record ... engineering this week:

Planned engineering work will take place between London Paddington/Reading/Plymouth and Penzance via St Austell on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, from 23:30, Monday 27 March 2023 to 08:00, Friday 31 March 2023.

Some lines will be blocked.

Additional Information

On Monday 27 to Thursday 30 March, the 2345 London Paddington to Penzance 'Night Riviera' Sleeper service will terminate at Plymouth at 0511. Passengers will need to vacate the train on or shortly after arrival.

* For passengers travelling to St Austell and beyond, a replacement bus will depart Plymouth at 0525, non-stop to St Austell 0645. A connecting rail service will depart St Austell at 0653, calling at Truro 0708, Redruth 0720, Camborne 0727, Hayle 0735, St Erth 0739 and Penzance 0749.

* For passengers travelling to Liskeard, a connecting train will depart Plymouth at 0530, arriving Liskeard at 0557.

* For passengers travelling to Bodmin Parkway, Lostwithiel or Par, travel on 0530 train to Liskeard, then by replacement bus service from Liskeard at 0610 to Bodmin Parkway 0635, Lostwithiel 0655 and Par 0715.

Not sure that I would find getting up at 5 a.m. attractive after a quarter to midnight departure from London.  Thank goodness I am retired!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #891 on: March 29, 2023, 23:00:32 »

I agree. I really dont see why the sleeper cant stay on the platform until 7.30. It always used to when there was a separate Plymouth portion.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 29, 2023, 23:27:00 »

Ironically if the strikes hadn’t been called off it wouldn’t have been running anyway for much of this week.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #893 on: March 30, 2023, 00:32:36 »

I agree. I really dont see why the sleeper cant stay on the platform until 7.30. It always used to when there was a separate Plymouth portion.

I wondered if it went to Reading for servicing ... but Real Time Trains suggests it just goes to Laira at 05:50. And it reports it as being just 3 carriages.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 30, 2023, 06:50:07 »

The absurdly early arrival time at Plymouth is one of the reasons why the sleeper is not a practical option for most - major missed opportunity for GWR (Great Western Railway) to provide this service to the largest and most strategically important city in the South West - especially since it lost its airport.

An arrival at (for example) 0730 would make it a viable option for business travellers - in a rapidly contracting business rail travel market it could have been a real asset.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #895 on: March 30, 2023, 08:48:32 »

And miss the ferry connection to Scilly? Might be some complaints, no?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 30, 2023, 09:35:55 »

The absurdly early arrival time at Plymouth is one of the reasons why the sleeper is not a practical option for most - major missed opportunity for GWR (Great Western Railway) to provide this service to the largest and most strategically important city in the South West - especially since it lost its airport.

An arrival at (for example) 0730 would make it a viable option for business travellers - in a rapidly contracting business rail travel market it could have been a real asset.

We’ve had similar conversations before. 

Revenue would have to exceed the additional operating costs to have any chance of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) (and in the future, GBR (Great British Railways)) ever wanting to pay for GWR to operate a Plymouth portion as part of the sleeper service again.

Do you think it would?  Do you know if the three MP (Member of Parliament)’s (two Tory, one Labour) that represent Plymouth are actively lobbying for it?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 30, 2023, 09:50:08 »

We’ve had similar conversations before. 

Revenue would have to exceed the additional operating costs to have any chance of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) (and in the future, GBR (Great British Railways)) ever wanting to pay for GWR to operate a Plymouth portion as part of the sleeper service again.

Do you think it would?  Do you know if the three MP (Member of Parliament)’s (two Tory, one Labour) that represent Plymouth are actively lobbying for it?

Forget the portion, just run it later so it arrives at Plymouth at a reasonable time and market it as an option for business travel to the Southwest.

I take the point about the Scillonian but it only runs for 8 months a year and I'd be interested in the details of numbers of customers who use the sleeper specifically for that purpose.

At the moment the sleeper is run largely on whimsy and subsidy at a time when the railway needs to save money and/or look to increase revenue. This would seem an opportunity worth investigating.

I have no idea whether Plymouth MPs are lobbying for it. I suspect that it's been so hopelessly impractical for so long that people/business just gave up and drove/travelled elsewhere and it's not talked about much.

This may be a way to get more people on the trains which I thought the majority of those on this forum were keen on?
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #898 on: March 30, 2023, 17:38:41 »

There is a way to use the sleeper to go to Plymouth AND have a reasonable getting up time. Stay on the sleeper until Redruth ( arr 0720) and then  get a single ticket back to Plymouth (arr 0908) !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #899 on: March 30, 2023, 17:56:32 »

There is a way to use the sleeper to go to Plymouth AND have a reasonable getting up time. Stay on the sleeper until Redruth ( arr 0720) and then  get a single ticket back to Plymouth (arr 0908) !

Or easement 020003 - or rather a new one for the South West

020003 Routeing Point
Passengers for Aviemore and Carrbridge are permitted to alight from the sleeper at Inverness and double back to their destination in the morning.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 63
  Print  

Jump to: