05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 08:21:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken-down First Great Western rail replacement bus hit by lorry  (Read 15184 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 14:55:51 »

ooh, I'm not sure I'd be tempting fate.... :-(
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 18:54:10 »

Expect more of the same with the coming "smart" motorways planned by DfT» (Department for Transport - about), where the hard shoulder is used for traffic.

It's only a matter of time. Up until now managed motorways have only had the hard shoulder open when the speed limit is reduced, and during periods of congestion. And the hard shoulder is still marked as such.  The new ones, which started to come on stream at the same time as the rebrand to smart motorways, have done away with the hard shoulder altogether, and all lane running is 24 x 7, with no need for a speed restriction. The police have been vehemently opposed to them on safety grounds.

It will also be much more difficult to get emergency vehicles to the scene of an accident as all lanes will be full. Under the original scheme, most of the day the hard shoulder would still be clear, and the frequency of overhead gantry signs meant that the hard shoulder could be closed quickly in the event of an accident to permit emergency vehicles unimpeded access.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 07:09:46 »

My biggest concern from the article is this - and I was going to raise this as a question until I saw the eyewitness quote.

^Most of us were not wearing a seatbelt and everyone got thrown around. Some people were on the phone and they went flying.

Am I right in saying that this is a legal requirement to wear a seatbelt whilst travelling on a coach?

I always wear my seatbelt on a coach or bus if they are available and I have done since as long as I can remember.

In secondary school I used to get bullied for it as I was the only student on the coach that would wear one. Eventually things got so bad over the seatbelt "issue" that senior trouts complained to the coach operator who's owner (who was also a driver) said the following:

"I know your son, he's the only one who puts his seatbelt on"

So is it fair of me to comment that could some of these issues COULD been alleviated by wearing a seatbelt? Of course that is heading for speculation so I will stop there.

But anyone who complains to me about getting  injured on a coach when they were NOT wear a seatbelt and there WAS one available will have limited sympathy from me.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 09:00:48 »

Wearing a seat belt on a minibus, bus or coach
If you are travelling in a minibus you must wear a seat belt if one is fitted (or a child restraint if available).

On a bus or coach you should always wear a seat belt if one is fitted. If you are aged 14 or over, the law states that you must wear a seat belt if fitted.

The responsibility for making sure that the regulations which require children aged three to 13 years to use seat belts (or child restraints if available) are applied on buses and coaches is currently being considered.

So those admitting not wearing a seat belt are effectively publically announcing they were breaking the law, not the wisest move.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 09:20:16 »

As the coach was stationary, there was no legal requirement to wear a seatbelt at that time, sensible precaution though that might have been. Also possibly some people were in the process of getting off.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 11:50:11 »

indeed, if the coach had been rear-ended while still moving, very little compensation would be claimable by those not wearing, but as soon as the coach had stopped, especially known breakdown, all bets & belts were off for comp claims, as pax would remove them for comfort/in order to get possessions from overhead/get air off the bus etc etc
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: