09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 09:22:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It's impossible to commute soutbound to Frome in the morning - why?  (Read 7268 times)
Graz

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2008, 10:31:26 »

Yes, another Frome topic I'm afraid, but I feel this is a very valid point.

As I've said I work close to Frome, and currently have to travel from Bath to Warminster and catch the bus, or catch a bus from Bath to Frome and then get another. The first option is best as I get in to Warminster for 8:10-ish and it's a 15 min wait for the bus to get to the office for 8:45. Annoyingly though, it's more expensive on the train AND bus to get to Warminster than Frome.

Getting the bus from Bath in to Frome is OK- but I end up getting in the office at 9:20ish which is a bit too late, plus there's a complication that the earliest bus is a Faresaver, but the last Faresaver bus leaves Frome at 5:25. That's really too early though and the bus from my office doesn't connect with that one well at all. The earliest First morning bus would get me in past 10am- far too late.

The trains to Frome in the morning are polarised, to say the least. Passengers between Bristol, Swindon and Westbury can get from Westbury to Frome the 6:25, 6:39...or 9:28. Why's there a gap of nearly 3 hours at peak? 6:39 is far too early from Westbury let alone Bath, 9:28 is far too late. There needs to be a train arriving Frome around 8:30, preferably one also arriving about 7:30 to connect with the 7:40 bus.

The evening is better, but rather annoying as the evening commuter service doesn't leave till 18:27 which is a tad late and again, doesn't connect well with the bus. A train at 17:45 to Westbury would be very welcome.

So my question is...why isn't there trains into Frome from Westbury that serve commuters better? There are none in the morning that are any use whatsoever, and the evening timings leave a lot to be desired. This could be a potentially untapped market as there are people who live north of Frome but want to work there. They currently have no option but to take the car- a massive drawback for many like me.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 12:43:40 »

Graham, this in danger of turning into a Grahams (plural) topic  Grin

First HAVE indeed noted a relative sparsity of services at times into Frome and indeed had plans last May to correct the situation from last December.  The idea was that when the Westbury - Southampton shuttle was withdrawn in favour of SWT (South West Trains)'s Romsey - Salisbury service, the remaining FGW (First Great Western) workings that run beyond Salisbury but not beyond Southampton, within a few minutes of the SWT service in each case, would provide an additional 3 Salisbury - Swindon (and back) services each day.  Note that would have created extra trains calling at Warminster and , crucially, Dilton Marsh, where they would have provided part of the minimum service required by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

That plan was still-born (anyone who knows the real reason, please let me know; I don't) and as a result some of the Malvern / Worcester area to Westbury services that First were hoping to extend to Frome in excess of the franchise spec, but as a huge piece of common sense, are actually continuing of from Westbury to Warminster and providing the minimum service needed at Dilton Marsh.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 16:01:06 »

Anyone else is welcome to join in to break up the Graham-centricity! Wink

The service from Swindon to Salisbury would have been a win-win situation! Who knows why the idea never made it as it would have a very positive knock-on effect by solving more than one serious problem:

Inadequate services to/from Frome,
Most southbound services from Dilton Marsh only going as far as Warminster (limited journey oppertunities - too inconvenient to go any further south)
Inadequate services to/from Swindon and Westbury

My only suggestion would be that the services (from Frome and Salisbury) could connect well with each other, arriving Westbury roughly the same time or 30 mins apart, so Frome passengers are able to get to Swindon and Salisbury and Warminster passengers to Avoncliff/Freshford/Oldfield/Keynsham and beyond. I'm not sure how easy that would be, but then again that's not really my 'department', so to speak! Smiley

One thing to note is that currently, the only viable way to get to Warminster in the morning is using a Portsmouth service so should the timetable change, a new morning peak-time service or two from Westbury to Frome would still be needed.

In relation to the direct Swindon trains, on my journeys back from work I've often heard passengers asking for singles to Chippenham or Swindon from Westbury and Trowbridge, their only option changing at Bath.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 16:08:27 »

The problem is, the peak flow is to Bath, and the people who campaign the most are going to Bath, thus people like yourself loose out. A bit like comuting from Soton-Weymouth really, all the trains that get in early in to Weymouth are all stoppers.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:27:50 »

It is worth noting that there is a plan on the table aimed at addressing these issues (link below.)
http://www.raildocuments.org.uk/jan08/salyeoswin2.xls

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 13:28:28 »

That certainly would Smiley

A crazy idea I just had would be...would it be possible to run PPM(resolve) services to and from Westbury and Frome as a shuttle? 1 would be enough to provide a 1/2 hour service. It seems like a good idea to me because all the connections you would need are to/from Westbury and it could plug big gaps in Frome's timetable relatively easily. The only problem I've thought of would be platform availability at Westbury...
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 13:54:32 »

That certainly would Smiley

A crazy idea I just had would be...would it be possible to run PPM(resolve) services to and from Westbury and Frome as a shuttle? 1 would be enough to provide a 1/2 hour service. It seems like a good idea to me because all the connections you would need are to/from Westbury and it could plug big gaps in Frome's timetable relatively easily. The only problem I've thought of would be platform availability at Westbury...

Interesting idea in principle, but I just wonder whether a half hourly Westbury-Frome PPM service would conflict with main line and mendip stone trains.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 14:19:32 »

I was under the impression there were a number of "issues" preventing PPM(resolve)'s operating on lines at the same time as conventional trains...

So i can't see that happening!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 14:30:11 »

I was under the impression there were a number of "issues" preventing PPM(resolve)'s operating on lines at the same time as conventional trains...

So i can't see that happening!

There are issues, and swlines provided some useful info regarding this recently :

As I understand it, there are signalling issues with PPM vehicles sharing lines with conventional trains, as they would have to running into Plymouth.

Not so much signalling issues, but PPMs require a possession to operate in normal service AFAIK (as far as I know) due to their very light weight and the consequences that could occur with whamming into say, a HST (High Speed Train)...

Tom

I was also told that there could be a problem with PPM's and track circuits.

Not really an issue - it can be sorted with the use of track circuit actuators, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) most of the Sprinter fleet have these...

So it could be possible to resolve such issues, but 2 PPM services each way per hour running on the main line between Westbury-Frome and then past the Whatley Quarry line junction off the Frome line itself could cause pathing conflicts.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 14:32:16 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 15:02:15 »

That's good news PPMs(resolve) should be able to use the same line. Also bearing in mind the journey time from Westbury to Frome is 14 minutes, 1 train an hour may be adequate to begin with which should only require 1 unit. It would still be triple the amount of trains which call at Frome now Smiley

Any idea how often the Whatley Quarry trains pass along the Frome line? I think Paddington-Taunton trains are hourly in each direction, so that shouldn't be too much trouble...

If only it were possible to build another line just for the PPM trains!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 15:19:56 »

Any idea how often the Whatley Quarry trains pass along the Frome line? I think Paddington-Taunton trains are hourly in each direction, so that shouldn't be too much trouble...

There are around 20 Whatley Quarry trains per day. Also, dont forget the freight trains that operate on the main line for part of their journey to/from Merehead and points further west.

While I think that a half hourly PPM(resolve) service would be unrealistic, I believe that with good train planning, an hourly conventional Frome service (ideally running beyond Westbury, and from Frome southwards) should be possible, and that would be my preference over PPM.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 15:36:48 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: