Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:58:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is your favourite form of public transport  (Voting closed: October 12, 2023, 22:32:46)
train - 26 (76.5%)
bus - 1 (2.9%)
tram - 3 (8.8%)
ferry - 0 (0%)
plane - 0 (0%)
other (please post) - 0 (0%)
no particular favour - 4 (11.8%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which public transport do you like to travel on most?  (Read 4150 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 05, 2023, 22:32:46 »

Mark Harper was on TV telling us that the bus is the nation's favourite public transport.  I'm not sure that I believe him - there's a difference between favourite and most used.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 09:47:29 »

Horses for courses so far as I'm concerned. Depends on the purpose of the journey, the practicality of it, time available etc. Also a simple category such as bus or train can cover a wide variety of actual experiences that Mark Harper probably rarely or never experiences.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 10:38:37 »

Horses for courses so far as I'm concerned. Depends on the purpose of the journey, the practicality of it, time available etc. Also a simple category such as bus or train can cover a wide variety of actual experiences that Mark Harper probably rarely or never experiences.

He did arrive for the opening of Portway Park and Ride on a train ... but then left in private road transport.   Cheesy

Very much horses for courses, indeed, when making the decision.   The question / poll is "like" based on the statement which I challenge of the bus being the nation's "favourite". 

Personally I like train travel more than I like bus travel, but  like both, though I probably make more journeys by bus than by train. But then I travel a greater distance by train than bus.   With train as district to bus, I like the faster journey, the smoother ride, the assurance that my destination is clearly labelled, the ability to move around while travelling and perhaps use the loo, the assurance of information and usually a shelter as I wait, and data that updates me as I wait for the service.  I could add the wider variety of places I want to go to, and comment on meeting friends and train managers who often exchange a friendly word.   I like the presence of friendly / professional staff at destination and interchanges too; we are at present the most used station in Wessex that does not have a staffed presence so I can't add that as an outbound like.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 12:30:30 »

[Mark Harper] did arrive for the opening of Portway Park and Ride on a train ... but then left in private road transport.   Cheesy

I strongly suspect that the large black motor car that swept him away from Portway Park & Ride had earlier delivered him to Temple Meads...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 12:37:08 »

I chose tram over train, because there is something about weaving in and out of streets and buildings that is, to me, intrinsically interesting. And perhaps the fact that opportunities to travel by tram are still, sadly, far and few.

I've just spent a month travelling extensively by bus (thanks to the Birthday Bus scheme) and I can say unhesitatingly that I prefer train travel. Which is not to say that buses don't have their place, but after an hour the novelty starts to fade...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 01:49:40 »

I voted for rail.
Rail transport has declined significantly in both comfort/facilities and in reliability, but is still a bit better than most buses.
An electric train is better than a diesel bus from the climate change point of view, and a diesel bus probably comparable to a diesel train.

Electric buses are possible, both battery powered and trolley buses, but very little used as yet.
Electric trains are a mature technology.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 13:03:13 »

Question:   What is your favourite form of public transport  (Voting closed: October 12, 2023, 10:32:46 pm)
train   - 26 (76.5%)
bus   - 1 (2.9%)
tram   - 3 (8.8%)
ferry   - 0 (0%)
plane   - 0 (0%)
other (please post)   - 0 (0%)
no particular favourite   - 4 (11.8%)

Blindingly obvious result on a rail forum, I suppose.  We are out of step with Mark Harper, who considers the bus to be the nation's favourite public transport.    I wonder if he's a member and cast that one vote for bus?

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 21:50:01 »

Perhaps he was confusing popularity with the volume of use. There will be a lot of people who need to use public transport but who do not have a railway (of any description) nor a tram, so have to use the bus. This is evident, for example, in the towns and villages around Didcot. Notwithstanding Didcot having a relatively good rail service to London, Reading and Didcot, if you live in Wantage, Abingdon, Grove, Harwell and the villages around, you have to get a bus. If you live in Reading, another place with good rail connections, and work in the town centre and don't live close to Tilehurst, Reading West, Theale or Early stations (including all the suburbs north of the Thames - Caversham, Emmer Green), you will have to use the bus. And I expect all forum members can give examples from all the towns and cities in the GW (Great Western) catchment.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 22:40:50 »

Sadly the Parish in which I live has not had a station since the 1840's when the temporary terminus at Hay Lane closed.  Still Swindon Junction station is a similar distance from the village centre and later Swindon Old Town station was nearer still.  There is at least a bus to the station in Swindon - though not one to Hay Lane. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 08:23:49 »

Perhaps he was confusing popularity with the volume of use. ...

That's a pretty fair bet!   And are we governed on such confusion?

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 08:53:06 »

I have only just seen this thread, so have missed the poll. Although rail is definitely my favoured land-based transport, I would have ticked ferry, particularly the few small ferries that still exist and allow you to enjoy the beauty of a river or estuary crossing while relaxing, or take you to a nearby island.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 09:01:40 »

Perhaps he was confusing popularity with the volume of use. ...

That's a pretty fair bet!   And are we governed on such confusion?

I’m not sure ‘confusion’ is the right word. He’s just speaking in tabloidese, as do politicians of every stripe these days.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: