Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:07:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alleged deliberate late running - Wessex Bristol  (Read 2568 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2014, 19:37:16 »

I have a semi-regular journey on Sunday evenings from deepest darkest Somerset to my home in North-West Bristol. It's one of those rare beasts where I can almost do an integrated bus/train/train/bus journey from origin to destination. And on a Sunday afternoon/evening to boot.

Sadly, it's nearly always let down by the last leg. Wessex Bristol 502 bus from Shirehampton Green to Lawrence Weston. Not let down because of delays or cancellations (although there have been a couple of those), but by the service not departing from it's origin on time despite being ready to do so. Instead, let down because the drivers always depart around 8-10 minutes later than scheduled from the first stop, Shirehampton Green.

I asked tonight's driver why this is done. I was told that because Sunday evenings are quiet they wait time at the start in one big chunk rather than stop to wait time several times en route. By journeys end the service arrives on time. I said that for me, at least I know there is a service because I'm at the first stop, but what about the poor sods at later stops, which may not have live running or a shelter. They may think the bus isn't coming and they'll certainly not be happy it's running 10 minutes late. Why, I asked, don't you wait time when needed en route?

The driver's answer? He said that he's told by his bosses to wait beyond the departure time of the first stop because then he needn't start up the engine and this will save fuel!!! If he waits time en route he has to keep the engine running.

So, rather than address the slack timetable or wait time en route to keep to scheduled departure times at all stops, Wessex Bristol's priority is their fuel bill and not the passengers. I was just a little miffed to learn this and find it somewhat of a poor show.

Yes, I appreciate in the great scheme of things that a 10 minute delay is small beer compared to some of the horrendous delays we hear about (Thames Valley commuters, my sympathy remains with you), but when it is being done deliberately for the operators benefit ahead of the passenger, that sucks.

I'd like to canvas opinion as to whether this deliberate late running is, if the driver's reasons are company policy, worthy of bringing to the attention of the Traffic Commissioners.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 21:40:35 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 19:43:02 »

If I remember rightly the measure for incorrect timekeeper as far as the Traffic Commissioners are concerned is 1 minute early or 5 minutes late.  I assume that applies to intermediate timing points as well as start and finish.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 21:33:52 »

A friend of mine drove for the old Bristol Omnibus on city routes back in the early 70s.  He said that the Sunday timetable (TT) was the same as the weekday one and he reckoned they could do a 35 minute route in about 15 minutes - which apparently they did after an extended break at the terminus.

That was nothing to do with economy and probably a lot to do with why the city buses had a bad rep with us punters. (I've mentioned before that I moved from the bus paradise of Sheffield to Bristol so it was a shock.)

To find that this is institutionalised in 2014 is more than disappointing.  They should sort the TT out.

Missing word added
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 21:45:35 by trainer » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:35:49 »

I guess 10  mins sitting with the engine off is 10 mins less belching diesel fumes into the environment too?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: