Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 21:51:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[233] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[28] Cornish delays
[27] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[15] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: First Class Upgrade for Expectant Mothers  (Read 17954 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2008, 18:12:58 »

A great idea from FGW (First Great Western):

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=2146

With this and the annoucement in a further discount for season ticket holders FGW are having a good day
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 08:19:59 »

With this and the annoucement in a further discount for season ticket holders FGW are having a good day

Not a good idea - they are pregnant not sick and it was their choice to get pregnant

Just like they dont need parent and child spaces or any other benefits

You choose to have brats, deal with it (and keep them out my way until they dont scream and wail constantly)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:16:38 »

This scheme has existed for quite some time on SWT (South West Trains) - so certainly nothing new.

As for Mookiemoo, I get the impression you're against anything that may help people in any way. In a roundabout way in this compensation culture that exists nowadays, if a train was cramped with standing room only, it could cause high levels of stress, which could cause a miscarriage or injury... and knowing people these days they'd likely sue as a result.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:21:39 »

This scheme has existed for quite some time on SWT (South West Trains) - so certainly nothing new.

As for Mookiemoo, I get the impression you're against anything that may help people in any way. In a roundabout way in this compensation culture that exists nowadays, if a train was cramped with standing room only, it could cause high levels of stress, which could cause a miscarriage or injury... and knowing people these days they'd likely sue as a result.

no, I'm against anything that helps people when IMHO (in my humble opinion) they got themselves into that mess in the first place (especially when it inconveniences me)

Being pregnant is a choice you make (up to 22 weeks no one forces you) so you live with it and you certainly do not deserve any perks just because you managed to spread your legs and get knocked up and then you end up expecting the rest of the workforce to make allowances for you and your little brat - if little Johnny is sick, dont expect me to cover your work and dont expect me to cover your maternity leave

PS I run my own business am female and 31 but I certainly would never employ a woman of child bearing age

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:26:50 »

makes perfect sense to me.  Especially when you consider that the alternative might be that the journey isn't made or  that the woman chooses to drive.

Mookiemoo, of course pregnany is a matter of choice (although if you want to be looked after in your old age you should be greatful that some people are raisingteh tax-payers of tomorrow) for the parents, but it is not a matter of choice for the child.  Having a seat on a train is not only good for the mother it is good for teh child as well.
zebedee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:53:34 »

Not a good idea - they are pregnant not sick and it was their choice to get pregnant

You choose to have brats, deal with it (and keep them out my way until they dont scream and wail constantly)

Oh dear oh dear, you seem to have a few issues there, and your only 31, your going to be a fun elderly person aren't you!!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:12:30 »

Oh dear oh dear, you seem to have a few issues there, and your only 31, your going to be a fun elderly person aren't you!!

My only issue is with parents getting preferential treatment for doing something that is merely a biological function and nothing to be proud of - made worse by the amount of money the government gives them in tax breaks and other crud.

IMHO (in my humble opinion) if you want a child, its your choice, you pay for it and dont expect others to support it.  (and if you cant afford it, it should be taken away and given to someone who can).

Expectant mothers can sit in first class - if they pay the same price as I do for the seat.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:23:29 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion) if you want a child, its your choice, you pay for it and dont expect others to support it.  (and if you cant afford it, it should be taken away and given to someone who can).

Children who occupy seats on a train cost the TOC (Train Operating Company) just as much to carry ... so are you suggesting that child fares should be done away with too?  There is a huge logic in the idea but it is so much against the way society is set up that even to suggest it would, I think, get me thoroughly flamed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:44:46 »

Children who occupy seats on a train cost the TOC (Train Operating Company) just as much to carry ... so are you suggesting that child fares should be done away with too?  There is a huge logic in the idea but it is so much against the way society is set up that even to suggest it would, I think, get me thoroughly flamed.

Actually yes I do - especially on aircraft

swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:04 »

Actually yes I do - especially on aircraft
That's highly contraversial... so a child who gets nowhere near the possible wage of a working adult should be forced to pay the same fare?

For what it's worth, I have a medical illness which prevents me working for longer than about 10 hours a week and I am under 16 (shock horror! Wink)... all of my potential working hours a week are taken working towards my GCSE grades...
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:22:50 »

On a vaguely related subject, let's assume that the happy event has happened, and mother now wishes to travel with her bundle(s) of joy, and enighten them to the pleasures of rail travel. I believe that under 5's travel for free, but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that they should not occupy a seat if required by paying passengers (child therefore sits on the parent's lap). Is the case, and if so, would any guard attempt to enforce it on a busy train?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 11:28:45 »

In past events, the likely situation that I have seen is that the parent is offered the option of paying the child fare for the under 5, or they can sit on the parents lap...
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 11:42:07 »

point is - u don't go to tesco and get milk for half price or pepsi for 5p just because u are a kid or poor

swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 11:53:47 »

I think there is a fine line between the difference of paying for a product, rather than a service. A precedent was set many years ago where those under 16 receive a reduced fare, and as such it could cause uproar to remove that facility. There could be an alternative where a railcard is offered to get the child discount for those under 16, though...
zebedee
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 12:02:37 »

My only issue is with parents getting preferential treatment for doing something that is merely a biological function and nothing to be proud of - made worse by the amount of money the government gives them in tax breaks and other crud.

Expectant mothers can sit in first class - if they pay the same price as I do for the seat.

I am actually extremely proud of my three children and what I think you don't realise is that many parents are not the benefit stealing low life you seem to think they all are.  I go to work, my wife stays at home, yes it's our choice, I accept that but I pay my taxes and we receive about ^44 a month of that tax back - hardly a fortune but we spend it wisely, generally on things that will make our children grow up into well adjusted adults that will be supporting you when you are a grumpy OAP.

To give you a specific example, I spend ^1052 a year on a season ticket to get to work, this entitled me to take my three children on the train to Dawlish for the day for a mere ^2.  They had a great time, I had a great time, do you really have a problem with that?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:04:16 by zebedee » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: