Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:05:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: City Link parcel delivery company goes into administration  (Read 26734 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: December 25, 2014, 20:04:03 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

City Link parcel delivery company goes into administration

Parcel delivery company City Link, which employs 2,727 people, has gone into administration.

The company, owned by investment firm Better Capital, called in administrators on Christmas Eve after years of "substantial losses".

It stopped accepting parcels from customers at its head office and transport hub in Coventry, its three other transport hubs and 53 UK (United Kingdom) depots.

Administrators warned of "substantial redundancies" over the coming days. This is because no buyer has been found to save the company.

A number of staff will be retained to help return parcels to customers and help with winding down the company, said joint administrators Ernst & Young.

Operations will be suspended at all the company's depots until Monday when customers and recipients will be able to collect their parcels, which they have been urged to do as soon as possible. The firm's online parcel tracking system remains live and a help phone will be open on Saturday and then from December 29.

The other joint administrator, Hunter Kelly, said: "City Link Limited has incurred substantial losses over several years. These losses reflect a combination of intense competition in the sector, changing customer and parcel recipient preferences, and difficulties for the company in reducing its cost base.

"The strain of these losses became too great and all but used up Better Capital's ^40m investment, which was made in 2013 and intended to help to turn around the company. Despite the best efforts to save City Link Limited, including marketing the company for sale, it could not continue to operate as a going concern and administrators were appointed.

"We will provide support to employees relating to potential redundancies. We are now beginning the process of realising the company's assets."

Mick Cash replaced the late Bob Crow as general secretary of the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) in September

Mick Cash, general secretary of the RMT union, said: "This is the bitterest blow any group of workers could receive on Christmas Day and it is absolutely shocking that the company have sprung this announcement once all the Christmas deliveries have been completed. RMT will do everything within its power to mobilise a political and industrial fight to save the thousands of jobs that have been put at risk as a result of this shock announcement."

The RMT told its members on Christmas Eve that it understood that wages owed up to 31 December would be paid, but any further payments are not guaranteed.

It described the news in a circular as a "massive body blow to all our members at City Link who have made great efforts and sacrifices to their pay and terms and conditions in order to make the company a success since its current owners took control in 2013".

Founded in 1969, City Link said on its website it had annual revenues of approximately ^300m, a fleet of 1,700 vehicles and delivered 60 million items across the UK and worldwide each year.

I post this with a heavy heart, as a fellow delivery driver.  My heartfelt sympathy to all of those affected.  CfN.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 20:35:58 »

It semi there are now too many distribution companies chasing a finite market. If there are too many the system becomes inefficient because vans are just following each other round.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 20:42:22 »

Simply to clarify: I am a delivery driver for a retail grocery chain - not in competition with any parcel delivery company.  CfN.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 20:49:37 »

I must admit as a customer of City Link both as a sender and receiver I am surprised at the news. I can think of several delivery firms who are a lot worse than them.

I do however sympathise with the staff who have, no doubt, been pulling all the stops out over the last few weeks only to hear this news today.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 21:15:48 »

I must admit as a customer of City Link both as a sender and receiver I am surprised at the news. I can think of several delivery firms who are a lot worse than them.

I do however sympathise with the staff who have, no doubt, been pulling all the stops out over the last few weeks only to hear this news today.

I'm not surprised, far from it in fact. Rentokil sold it for ^1 18 months ago, along with all its debt.
Their business model was out of date and pricing uncompetitive against the market. It's a market where customers aren't particulary worried about quality and price matters.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 08:55:33 »

Most of the drivers have zero protection as they were sub-contrctors using their own vans, according to a report I saw last night

So, December income not gusranteed as their invoices not yet raised. Left with vans in CityLink livery that they themselves need to have removed before being able to look for other work.

Much sympathy I think. What happens when Venture Capitalists don't know how to run the types of company that they buy up. Frankly on the cards as soon as sold by Rentokill, but absolutely didn't need to do it at Christmas!

I hope many drivers appear outside the venture capitalist's office on the 5th January....and create a stink
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 09:11:02 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) have confirmed all will be paid up to 31st December.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 09:39:59 »

That's staff, not the sub-contractors
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 09:48:04 »

It semi there are now too many distribution companies chasing a finite market. If there are too many the system becomes inefficient because vans are just following each other round.

Yes the market.may be finite but if the shopping model shifts from a presence on the high street /retail park to online shopping doesn't this also mean increased demand for delivery services ?

Just a question Smiley
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 10:06:45 »

Yes the market.may be finite but if the shopping model shifts from a presence on the high street /retail park to online shopping doesn't this also mean increased demand for delivery services ?

Just a question Smiley

A good question. 

There was someone on the radio today saying that customers (us) are not prepared to pay what it costs for the delivery. So prices are rock bottom. City link started in the days when they could offer a premium service.

If there is just one company (Royal Mail) going round delivering parcels then they can optimise the use of the equipment (vans and depots). These costs are fixed to provide national coverage. When there were two, those fixed costs doubled.  I don't know how many there are now, but perhaps 10 or more.  If a distribution company cannot get a big enough market share at a high enough price to cover its largely fixed costs it is in deep trouble.

The free market economy is, I am afraid, very brutal.  This is the unacceptable face of the free market economy.  It also gives an edge to Royal Mail's concerns about the effect of cherry picking on the universal postal service. 
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 10:19:58 »

My only problem with Citylink was a geographical one (I haven't used them for a few years so this may have changed). If I missed delivery of a parcel I would have to drive from Thatcham to the far side of Reading to collect it from their office which I believe used to be on Suttons business park. But apart from that I had no issues with the service which I was prepared to pay for.

Sadly though I agree that in most cases where we are talking about low margin sales there is little opportunity to "hide" the delivery costs and that is where (in my opinion) the delivery companies are at risk when they to deliver at less than cost just to win the business.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 10:20:44 »

Just a question Smiley

When I saw the City Link news, I was reminded of a TV piece I saw the other day (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), ? local) about the huge difference online shopping has made to the rural community, and saw their filming as they drove up the road from Tintern towards Monmouth, counting vehicles and comment on what a very high percentage of them were local delivery vehicles of some sort.

Certainly while we (on this forum) support public passenger transport, the ability to get a very wide range of products to the remotest of spots is no bad thing.  In reality, that ability has been there for many years, but until we had the internet the choosing and ordering end of the cycle was rather more difficult, and people tended to go into their local town for a far more limited (and expensive) range of products, and at an inefficient use of their time.   The rural and domestic urban online ordering and delivery has, though, hit bus use as fewer journeys are needed.

Are all delivery vehicles busy and running full all of the time?   I suspect there's rather a lot of duplication going on (as a small business it's not unusual for us to receive several deliveries in a day) and there is, I'm sure scope for efficiency.  Let's hope that the market is growing strongly enough for all of those who have no ongoing work through CityLink to find suitable alternatives;  I have (personally) been through redundancy twice and whilst it was a shock at the time, it meant that within a certain period I had moved on from a struggling business to an exciting one with prospects, and I didn't look back.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 10:35:43 »

Good points well made Graham.

I have to be honest and say that whilst I'm not really surprised there has been a distribution company that has gone under they weren't the first and they won't be the last.

I do feel sorry for the staff who may have seen this coming but had to find out for sure on Christmas Day. My other concern is that I believe some distribution firms like Citylink effectively sub contract out the end point collection and delivery aspects. So the green and yellow vans we know are owned by the drivers and have to be "liveried" at the drivers cost.

So whilst the drivers still have their vans they still have to pay out to have them "unbranded" out of their own pockets
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 12:17:59 »

Roland Hill recognised that the postal service is a natural monopoly if it is to provided a universal service. He was a Victorian!

Hence the "Penny Black"

Competiton doesn't work what's the points of different postal services running half empty lorries up the M1 with mail for Birmingham when a train from Willesden can carry the lot. 

Also natural monopolies  are railways, buses. Competition within and between different forms of public transport is pointless.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 13:32:15 »

Wh? Citylink aren't public transport, neither do they deliver post?

They're a courier company
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: