Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 22:06:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[233] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[28] Cornish delays
[27] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[15] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 coaches in Merthyr Tydfil depot catch fire in huge blaze - 28 December 2014  (Read 7441 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: December 28, 2014, 12:48:57 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

26 coaches in Merthyr depot catch fire in huge blaze

The burnt out shells of the coaches at Pant Industrial Estate in Merthyr Tydfil

A huge blaze has swept through a depot in Merthyr Tydfil, causing 26 coaches to catch fire.

More than 40 firefighters tackled it at First Call Coaches at Pant Industrial Estate on Sunday.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it arrived at the scene shortly after 01:00 GMT to find the fire had also spread into the main workshop.

"Prompt action prevented a fire from spreading to surrounding businesses," a spokesman said.

South Wales Police and the fire service are both investigating.

Firefighters assess the damage after the huge blaze at First Call Coaches in Merthyr Tydfil

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 17:02:37 »

An update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

30 coaches in Merthyr depot destroyed in huge blaze

A huge blaze has swept through a depot in Merthyr Tydfil, destroying 30 coaches, five minibuses and a car.

The inferno triggered a series of explosions at First Call Coaches at Pant Industrial Estate on Sunday.

More than 40 firefighters tackled the blaze which started shortly after 01:00 GMT.

South Wales Police and South Wales Fire and Rescue are investigating, with a spokesman calling it "a scene of devastation".

By the time fire crews arrived, the blaze had spread to the main workshop.

"It was a scene of devastation. Various vehicles had minor explosions," a fire service spokesman said.

"Prompt action prevented a fire from spreading to surrounding businesses."

A police spokesman said: "The neighbouring A465 was closed to traffic due to smoke and debris on the road and diversions were put in place."

The burnt out shells of the coaches at Pant Industrial Estate in Merthyr Tydfil

Firefighters at the scene of the huge blaze

Firefighters assess the damage after the huge blaze at First Call Coaches in Merthyr Tydfil

The fire also spread into the main workshop

Some of the burnt-out coaches

Firefighters at the scene of the burnt-out coaches

Fire damage to the main workshop with some of the destroyed coaches

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 18:16:03 »

This story is doing the rounds on the local bus forums in wales as well as on facebook. Never a nice thing to happen especially when the owners have put a lot of hard work building up the business.

One good thing is that the local operators are  offering  a helping hand to 1st Call.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 18:52:25 »

Indeed, it's good to see other bus operators pulling together to help one of their own: the same happened when Western Greyhound suffered depot fires in Cornwall, discussed previously on this forum.

However, the aspect which I find slightly alarming is to see again just how combustible (if you'll pardon the pun) buses and coaches can be. For example, see also the topic on a bus fire at Caernarfon and a school coach fire in SomersetShocked

anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 19:04:24 »

Since I work for First as a bus driver now in South Wales after my spell at Worcester I have seen a video showing one of our buses showing it go up in flames to the point that it was a burnt out wreck and it was frightening to see how fast the fire spread.

One problem with a lot of depots is that the fires can spread very quickly particulary with vehicles parked so close together a good example being the fire at First's Westbourne park depot in London as well as the recent example with Western Greyhound.

At least one good thing which comes out of this is the close working relationships between the various operators in the industry who all pull together to help one of their own with vehicles sometimes coming from operators many miles from the operator concerned.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 19:09:52 »

The report keeps mentioning 30 buses, yet the operator only has a licence for 15 at this site.
It has been suggested on another forum that another unnamed operator had some vehicles on this site as well

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 19:42:47 »

I believe there is another operator who has been using some of the spare space available to park some vehicles as their site is not large enough to park all their vehicles on. Also 1st Call did have a couple of withdrawn vehicles parked at the back of their yard which were being stripped for spare parts before being scrapped.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 18:12:13 »

Merthyr Tydfil bus depot blaze being treated as arson

A huge fire at a bus depot which destroyed 30 coaches, five minibuses and a car is being treated as arson.

The blaze needed 57 firefighters to bring it under control after it broke out in the early hours of 28 December at First Call Coaches in Pant Industrial Estate, Merthyr Tydfil.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed it was treating the blaze as a "deliberate fire".

Investigators studied CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage to help decide the cause.

The enormous blaze triggered a series of explosions.

The coaches were parked very close together, partly as a security measure to prevent anyone trying to steal fuel or batteries and parts.

However, firefighters said that had helped the fire spread quickly.

Describing the scene, Dewi Jones from South Wales Fire Service told BBC Wales: "There's total devastation.

"Prompt action prevented a fire from spreading to surrounding businesses."

TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 20:22:31 »

Merthyr Tydfil bus depot blaze being treated as arson

Having had dealing with this company, I can't say I'm surprised.

TLM
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: