Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:57:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Trolley on track incident, Heathrow Express line, December 2014  (Read 15475 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:36:35 »

Now problems for Heathrow Express according to their Twitter feed

Heathrow Express  @HeathrowExpress 

Service still suspended after a train hit kit left on tracks by Network Rail. Working to get trains moving again ASAP #hexupdates

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:16:13 »

Service still suspended after a train hit kit left on tracks by Network Rail. Working to get trains moving again ASAP #hexupdates

Poor little kit...

Now, please!
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 12:17:21 »

http://i.imgur.com/GpcXzXE.gif ...That's all I can come up with.

BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 13:24:26 »

I wonder if it was this one, left Heathrow T1 & 3 on time, arrived PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) 144 late: Shocked

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P10321/2014/12/28/advanced
brizzlechris

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 14:25:32 »

This image apparently showing being the item left behind...  Roll Eyes

https://twitter.com/HeathrowExpress/status/549174321982480384

Edit note: Many thanks for posting, brizzlechris. Purely to help those using mobile devices which sometimes make it difficult to view such linked items, I've taken the liberty of adding a link here to the image shown in that Heathrow Express twitter item:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 16:21:46 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 15:10:49 »

Ouch! Could have been nasty.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 15:43:27 »

Hmm. I'd have thought the idea of painting it bright yellow was to avoid it being overlooked when clearing the worksite on completion ...  Tongue Shocked Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 16:09:19 »

This image apparently showing being the item left behind...  Roll Eyes

https://twitter.com/HeathrowExpress/status/549174321982480384
Hmm. I'd have thought the idea of painting it bright yellow was to avoid it being overlooked when clearing the worksite on completion ...  Tongue Shocked Roll Eyes

Even yellow paint doesn't show up to well in the dark!

This is one half of PWay track trolley these are hand pushed.

This will be a reportable incident to the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) which will obviously sit separate and take precedence over the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) enquiry into the engineering over run.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 16:19:41 »

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) will investigate the trolley while the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) will look into the over-run(s).

Different organisations. Likely to run side-by-side!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 16:22:53 »

I've actually managed to find a picture of the workforce that left the kit behind, captured at the exact moment they got the call about it!

Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 21:17:46 »

I've actually managed to find a picture of the workforce that left the kit behind, captured at the exact moment they got the call about it!

For anyone else that wants to understand the severity of the situation - Crossrail staff placed the trolley on the line as the HEX came towards it - all concerned were lucky no-one was killed.

A snip from the log:

"The driver is shaken and he said he does not know how he did not kill anyone..."

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 21:20:41 »

Apparently the driver was just coming out of the tunnel when he saw the workers on the line in front of him. Not surprised he was shaken.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 21:22:15 »

For anyone else that wants to understand the severity of the situation - Crossrail staff placed the trolley on the line as the HEX came towards it - all concerned were lucky no-one was killed.

Are you serious?!! Wow.....RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) will be investigating. Someone won't be working on the rails ever again

I can understand the "sheer incompetence" post now
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 21:24:54 »

It's not my place to reproduce the whole log post I read, but yes I expect the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) will be investigating what is an incredibly serious incident.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 21:53:06 »

As this story is now gaining in stature, so to speak: I've split off the previous posts to form this new topic, devoted to the particular incident.  CfN.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: