21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 03:30:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking back  (Read 8384 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 01, 2015, 20:45:23 »

I wonder what figures would replace those here if this was being written for 2015?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 00:55:42 »

The total number of carriages and their total seating capacity, relative to the population at the time, are quite remarkable.  Shocked

Don't let member 'broadgage' see this.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:09:12 »

The total number of carriages and their total seating capacity, relative to the population at the time, are quite remarkable.  Shocked

Turn around times at each end were not as efficient then, maintenance need to be done more often and there was a great number of line / route mileage than now.

The 1930's was post grouping (semi Nationalisation), the railways needed state compensation for the war effort which did a lot of damage; also there was a realisation at the time of the great industrial might, the National Grid was being constructed etc.

There is huge investment in the railways now, however if I were hazard a guess and compare the cost with today we are doing it cheaper

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 16:20:31 »

The railways were in other businesses that they've exited from too

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 16:24:44 »

Turn around times at each end were not as efficient then, maintenance need to be done more often and there was a great number of line / route mileage than now.

The efficiency difference is quite remarkable ... I can recall hearing comment with my lifetime of rakes of carriages that were used only on Fridays and summer Saturdays.   And a single journey per day was not uncommon for long distance trains.  Apart from the sleepers, are there any single-journey trains left?  I suspect that even the Aberdeen / Dundee / Inverness to London / Plymouth services double back, at least for a shorter journey such as back up to Leeds?

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 17:02:18 »

The railways were in other businesses that they've exited from too

Well, sort of. From Wikipedia's entry on Pickfords:

In 1920, the company was sold again, to Hays Wharf Limited, on the back of a burgeoning post-World War I home removals business. Pickfords still continued to operate under that name. In turn Hays Wharf was taken over by the four main British railway companies in 1934 and was subsequently nationalised in 1947 as part of British Road Services[3] and what would become the National Freight Corporation (NFC) in the 1969.[1]

So I wonder whether that count includes road removals as well.

By 1934, most of the "last mile" railway distribution system was already obsolete, and largely replaced by the railways' own road vehicles operating from fewer, bigger, railheads. I can remember the cheeky little Scammell Scarab tractors in the 50s, though not their precursors that were around in the 30s. Removals using a single vehicle point-point without even two transhipments are going to rapidly take the bulk of the trade from now on.

Small vans and lorries can into general use very quickly after the war (indeed, starting before it). I've been looking at some of my father's diaries, written in the 30s, as a teenager on a family farm in Aberdeenshire. His mother's family ran two village shops nearby, and had a regular van service covering the area. They also had phones in the shops, at a time when few ordinary houses or isolated farms did. He comments at one point that the farm was losing its regular weekly visit from the fish van, though I can remember in the 1950s when his mother was living in Inverurie that a fish van came once a week to visit her house and the four next to it at the end of a steep narrow lane (it reversed up).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 22:17:54 by stuving » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 17:09:47 »

The efficiency difference is quite remarkable ... I can recall hearing comment with my lifetime of rakes of carriages that were used only on Fridays and summer Saturdays.   And a single journey per day was not uncommon for long distance trains.  Apart from the sleepers, are there any single-journey trains left?  I suspect that even the Aberdeen / Dundee / Inverness to London / Plymouth services double back, at least for a shorter journey such as back up to Leeds?

The Aberdeen-Penzance CrossCountry service starts from Edinburgh's Craigentinny depot and runs ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to Dundee. It then forms the 0640 Dundee-Aberdeen, arriving 0757.

0820 Aberdeen-Penzance 2143

Then it forms the 2208 Penzance-Plymouth arriving 0001. Then off to bed at Laira depot.

The King's Cross-Inverness service starts from Leeds' Neville Hill depot and runs ECS to Harrogate. It then forms the 0734 Harrogate-King's Cross, arriving 1035.

1200 King's Cross-Inverness 2006

It then runs ECS to Inverness depot.

The Inverness-King's Cross service starts from Inverness' depot and runs ECS to Inverness.

0755 Inverness-King's Cross 1551

Then it forms the 1719 King's Cross-Hull, arriving 2004. From there it's ECS to Leeds' Neville Hill depot.

From that you can see these sets operate at least one other passenger service per day in addition to their main journey.

Then there is the the Arriva Trains Wales Business Service. This makes just one return trip per day.

0533 Holyhead-Cardiff Central 0958
ECS to Cardiff Canton depot
ECS from Cardiff Canton depot to Cardiff Central
1716 Cardiff Central-Holyhead 2145
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 17:17:22 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 17:42:05 »

Even more staggering than the amount of surplus stock is the number of signal boxes.  10900 then, down to 800 or so now, and down to a planned 14 in the not too distant future!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 18:21:42 »

Don't let member 'broadgage' see this.  Grin

Some while back I copied the figures from the Network RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) Passenger Rolling Stock of 2011 into Excel. Using those (now a little out of date) gives a total vehicle count of about 11,000 - a fourfold reduction from 1934.

Now how was the 1934 figure generated? And what dictated the number of coaches "in use"?

I imagine that on rationalisation each component organisation provided a set of figures, and as relative importance depended on big numbers they would likely list everything with nearly all its wheels left. Given the low priority for scrapping stock (if you don't lift the siding and dispose of the land it saves almost nothing) and the history of mergers and takeovers of smaller units, I think you'd expect a high figure even allowing for different operating methods. 

I understand that then (and until the end of steam, if not later) trains would usually be taken out of a terminus once empty, cleaned and prepared in carriage sidings, and then brought back to form a later train. That is efficient in its use of mainline locos, which can escape immediately, and terminus space as you need no third track and "headshunt" distance at the closed end. It's less efficient in siding space and carriage numbers, and (as a guess) maybe developed because there were plenty of coaches in the 30s.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 20:41:14 »

Some while back I copied the figures from the Network RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) Passenger Rolling Stock of 2011 into Excel. Using those (now a little out of date) gives a total vehicle count of about 11,000 - a fourfold reduction from 1934.

Now how was the 1934 figure generated? And what dictated the number of coaches "in use"?

The 1962 Beeching Report, page 15, may give some enlightenment in the classifications and gives the following figures for coaching stock...
Total number of gangway coaches allocated to fast and semi-fast services 18,500

(of which)

Number in year-round service  5,500
Additional vehicles for regular summer service  2,000
Available for high peak service  8,900
Under repair  2,100

A large number of vehicles available for high peak traffic were only required on a limited number of occasions as the following table, relating to the last 6,000 vehicles in the fleet, shows:-

Number of coaches                     Required on not more than:

2,000                                            10 occasions
2,000                                            14 occasions
2,000                                            18 occasions

Mind-boggling, huh?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 21:55:50 »

My mind is indeed suitably boggled.  Shocked

Perhaps that perception - that there are apparently thousands of railway carriages just standing about in sidings somewhere - is why there are still so many recent calls from the travelling public to 'please just put on an extra carriage to my overcrowded train(s)!'

Yes, there were thousands of 'spare' railway carriages in 1934 - but there weren't in 2014!  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 15:59:18 »

The "heritage" sector has 371 Mark 2's, 1059 Mark 1's, 437 grouping and 668 pre-grouping carriages, at 159 sites, according to VCT. A few come complete with hens.

OTC
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 16:10:06 »

Who or what are VCT?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 16:16:17 »

I'd take a wild crazy guess he means these lovely people. Either that or a Venture Capital Trust. But I'd go for the carriage people, given the context  Cheesy

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 17:49:57 »

I'd take a wild crazy guess he means these lovely people. Either that or a Venture Capital Trust. But I'd go for the carriage people, given the context  Cheesy

Spot on.

OTC
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: