17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
10:45 Falmouth Docks to Truro
Short Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
08:50 Penzance to Plymouth
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 11:20:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Database issues - occurring occasionally - merged topic for 2015 and 2016  (Read 54692 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 16:41:27 »

Subscriptions or donations is not a road I'd like to go down either.

I'm more amenable to advertising if its done properly and the forum doesn't offer dubious blue pills or devices to enlarge ones member.

A poll/vote to canvass opinion on advertising before such a step is taken. Any excess income donated to a good cause, but better managed than RailUK's recent attempt to dispose of excess income!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 19:56:38 »

Is there a case for a subscription forum? Discuss. 
Actually, the pro's and con's are obvious, and would take up a whole subsection with very heated debate no doubt.

What is obvious to some, may not be obvious to others.  I would be very surprised to find a heated debate - if there was to be such a debate it would probably be between me and my wife (on one side) as we host it on the server that the company of which we're principals hires, at no charge and (on the other side) all of the members and guests who make use of the forum, and (unless we offered something spectacular) would probably prefer a free service.

It's a very interesting metric to look at our members and consider whether their contribution in terms of time here is net "give" or net "take" - are they getting more out than they're putting in, or vice versa?  And while we remain subscription, donation and advertising free (apart from my "hosted by" link, which you might just consider an advert), I think most people who come here will say they get more than they give ... some give a huge amount (and THANK YOU) to them, but then they get a lot of pleasure back out.

Where a subscription [or other funding] could be considered would if "we" went off in a different direction or someone else did - and we're not necessarily looking at a forum there, or even purely web based stuff. Some very interesting community rail discussions can come up from that, and the thought that elements of what community rail has done to "put new life into local lines" (the ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) strap line) could usefully extend to smaller stations and services on mainer lines, to commuter flows including London, and indeed to long distance and regional services. It's all a network, and even the "local" line feeds the network.  See my blog at http://www.wellho.net/mouth/4371_Why-are-people-using-the-TransWilts-.html for a scatter map of where TransWilts traffic ends were on our 11 to 13 October survey, and if you're a TransWilts CRP (Community Rail Partnership) supporting member on this forum, you can see that data plotted dy by day and against all UK (United Kingdom) stations - at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15130.0 .   Actually, with my Community Rail hat on (at least until the end of this month), looking after some of the press and publicity aspects, there is some funding to cover advertising and very occasional ancilliary payments. Further, we're putting up departure screens in one of our towns for trains and buses, and they are funded partly by an area board grant and partly by the Melksham Railway Development group - which made a profit of ^40 on the Santa train last month.

It's run by volunteers on a shoestring.
Would funding help with an improved server and software and programming.

It's run by volunteers for free.  Not sure where the shoestring came from ;-)

Funding - "would it improve xxxx".

Server - for what we're doing, server is more than adequate.  We would be unwise to replace the 150 we're currently travelling on, with seats for all and a comradely feeling, with a 180.  Maintenenace requirements would go up, it would feel very empty at times, and the extra speed really wouldn't be used because limits are line speed and the time people take to read a page, not the speed of delivery.

Software - probably not. We run with open source software which is free at the point of distribution and for which we are not required to pay a license fee.  Sounds curious - even more curious is that I earn my living from open source software - by training people on how to use it, for example.  This week I'm giving a Ruby Course (and adding some Cucumber), next week it's Java and I've then got public and private Python courses prior to the end of the month.  I could envisage the need / desirability for something niche, and a consideration to pay in the future, but would be wary of doing so.

Programming - probably not.  These days, unless you're starting something pretty radical there's not much need to write programs - rather you use some else's open source (which they will update in time for free for you, perhaps!) and limit your own coding to interesting extra bells and whistles.

Ironically, there are things you didn's mention that funding can / could buy.

Backups. Admin. Placement. Logos. Graphics. - Although even here on many areas we have members and supporters who enjoy doing the work for the pleasure rather than the money.  For example, the graphics artwork for the Community Rail Partnership leaflet ( http://atrebatia.info/TWR_A4L-Winter.pdf ) was all done for us free of charge (my wife is rather good at this sort of thing), and the printing was sponsored for us by Wiltshire Council - but the distribution to 24,000 homes on this occasion via the local newspaper was paid at a rate advantageous to us (we have marvellous volunteers who deliver, but different methodologies help reach people in different ways, and we don't want to induce volunteering fatigue).  Backup spending - we protect against some things on our server, but could gain from extra protections against other circumstances, and there's an admin overhead on this too potentially. And by "placement" I mean marketing to reach people we don't currently reach.   When you look at it, 1600 members isn't relly very many when compared to the number of travellers on FGW (First Great Western) trains each day, though it's so much more than our local rail user group with 100, (and more active too - they meet 4 times a year rather than all day, every day) - so perhaps some work on search engine placement (we can do that) and paid advertising would reach more people who would want to join.  Again taking the CRP as an example - we've spent money on Facebook promotion - well less than 0.1p per passenger journey BUT we know this has informed people and brought custom.

As an occasional user, I find the debates fascinating and very informative.
Funding would then need a subscription secretary (voluntary or paid?)
I would be happy to contribute (funding-wise) just for the pleasure and information herein.
The purpose of a forum is to provide a debating platform which should be free for all.

I'm glad you find it such - and indeed if members didn't, they wouldn't be here.

This whole "free" business is an interesting one / on one hand you say it should be free and on the other you would be prepared to pay a subscription (and you rightly point out the can of worms this would bring).  It would also bring an expectation of level of service (noting BobM's post following, but I dn't think that would be an issue - I believe we would be able to meet an uptime percentage that would make the rail industry jealous, and wellin excess of offered targets.

Free as in Freedom [to post] is another matter. No, you can't post pictures that are other's copyright without their permission, personal attacks on other members, adverts for products to enhance your manhood, pyramid schemes, details of how to defraud the railways or which chemicals are best to use to make vandalsim permanent.  Yes, we have removed all of those in the past, but such posts are a tiny, tiny minority.  We do want to encourage new users and having to pay to post your - one - question about why the train from Westbury stops so far our at the end of the platform at Swindon is going to be a real turn off.

Recently retired, I know nothing about programming (et al), sorry; not sure how I could be of any assistance.
Thank you to grahame, the mods and posters.

Oh I know how you can help.   The way you are doing by asking questions, posting, keeping the forum alive. And perhaps extend that a little by adding in som enew posts to update us on what's happening around the railway in your area, and in connection with it.  I think you're in Cornwall - that' s laong way from Wiltshire but we can listen and learn from each other - indeed we have huge time to look at, admire, and learn from the CRP activities and how they're organised and run in Devon and Cornwall.

However before we go down the subs/non subs route I think I would be good to have feedback from Graham and the mods for their view on how they think the forum environment could be improved.

Let's be honest, it's a lot more reliable that the subject matter it is set up to discuss Smiley

There's a degree of "it ain't bust, don't fix it".  However - note from earlier in this long reply - comments about increasing membership and that would bring more active individual line boards and the chance of a few more special topic ones too.  I would personally like to see a very much more active fares advise / ask questions section and indeed talking about extending and ne areas, ticket sales are interesting - based on the profit on commissions going to community support for rail.  We bought the Santa train tickets from our local agent in Trowbridge - they had been selling Santa tickets too and that helps them / the local community.  However, commissions on such sales have been slashed and I don't think this is a flyer any more.   But watch this space.

A long answer there (and going off topic from the original post) ... hope it's a useful fill in.  Many of the issues raised (probably "most" or even "all") have come up with the moderators / admins in the past , and on that basis I feel quite comfortable to comment here and know that I'll be pretty close to the general view.

A really good discussion to have ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 20:00:17 »

I'm happy to lob in my two penn'orth as a PHP/MySQL/Wordpress developer...

Noted - THANK YOU.   I am keeping tabs / a note for once I get past the too-busy-to-even-ask point which should come in a few weeks, based on workload on my day job and other changes at the month end

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 21:59:44 »

Another hand up here.

Most days do Perl and MySQL development, occasionally dabble in some next-gen search technology stuff.  Previously used PHP quite extensively.  On top of web design, the other main part of my job is shifting  large (~100 whole animal genomes) amounts of data from one format to another, and/or from one database to another, to create data with "added value".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 06:31:05 »

Another hand up here.

Most days do Perl and MySQL development, occasionally dabble in some next-gen search technology stuff.  Previously used PHP quite extensively.  On top of web design, the other main part of my job is shifting  large (~100 whole animal genomes) amounts of data from one format to another, and/or from one database to another, to create data with "added value".

And noted, thank you.  That's gathering a good team - please (others) put your hands up too.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 07:44:37 »

Going back a few posts to Graham's (volumus) reply I'm a big fan of (1) if it's not broke don't fix it and (2) I'm not a fan of change for changes sake.

Whilst I know the forum is run for free (using borrowed capacity on a server and the time of the mods who have real day jobs after all) let's face it it is pretty reliable. I reckon if it is out of service for a few hours twice a year then that's as bad as it gets.

@graham on the rare occasions it does fail is there a common cause ? Is that something any members can help with? Sometimes there is a risk that having too many helpers - with the best of intentions- can make things worse Smiley

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 08:14:48 »

@graham on the rare occasions it does fail is there a common cause ? Is that something any members can help with? Sometimes there is a risk that having too many helpers - with the best of intentions- can make things worse Smiley

Too few failures for there to be a pattern in which I can see any common cause  Cheesy

There's the hugest of help from admins and moderators - without whom this site couldn't run.   Adding direct technical support to it as it stands - I suspect 2 steps forward would mean 3 steps back as we all got used to the new ways and I communicated things through and perhaps there was an accident or two because of something I hadn't passed on.  However, new stuff in some areas / working in zones could benefit our user community, and 10 steps forward would only mean 6 steps back, giving us a net gain - problem is time and cost of making 10 steps!

Much more later and we may set up a "techie" area - and how are 22, 28, 29 March in your diary, technical folks?   Too busy until next Monday though to discuss things in any depth.

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 10:38:12 »

I am implacably against compulsory subscriptions. They don't work, and in my experience have a negative effect on membership. HOWEVER. On a busy and long-standing forum that I manage (underground rock music) we offer the opportunity to make voluntary PayPal donations, which can be either one-off or regular small payments. PayPal merch store gives you all the code to do this so it's the work of a moment. We have several people who regularly pay ^3 or ^5 a month, and one gentleman who every year sends us $100 from his income tax refund. Going down that route would get a thumbs up from me. But I'd rather it stayed completely anonymous.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 05:55:31 »

Back to original topic ... improved and extra backups (to the main site on the host) results in our space being completely full in the early hours and the server offline until around 05:00 ... a bit bouncy as we came back up, should now be running.

Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 06:37:30 »

Another hand up here.

Though my expertise is a lot more niche I'm afraid - back-office software mostly written using Visual FoxPro to handle the erratic analysis of big databases.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 07:07:15 »

Another hand up here.

Though my expertise is a lot more niche I'm afraid - back-office software mostly written using Visual FoxPro to handle the erratic analysis of big databases.

Goodness - there's quite a few of you / us out there.

I'm drowning in other work at present - away from forum during the day.   I have posted (frequent posters) a note on a big thing that's causing me issues and looking for help at the end of next week / early weekend to kick through a lot of refactoring of an old Perl application into an MVC structure - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15194.0 and (please) let me know if you fancy (and practically can) help.  Thanks

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 15:50:47 »

It looks like a similar issue to 6th January - however, in the last 3 weeks I have significantly improved the backup facilities we have and I suspect very little or no data loss.   I can quickly and easily get back to where we were an hour before the failure, and I should e notified of failures every hour - so that means a maximum of 2 hours backtracking if I'm around for alerts.  I'm able - and over the past 45 minutes have been - cutting off the posts  since the last backup and adding them on to the end of the restored messages.    All of which should NOT be necessary because data should not get damaged, which is worrying.

I HAVE also added a backup to a remote system so that we have a copy away from the main server - that's not done quite so often, but much more than it was.  And I suspect that "my" problems relate to loading.

Anyway - cutting a long story short,  I may upgrade the database next weekend, and - please - for this week keep local copies of long posts you make - "just in case" you understand, as I'm getting to be much more experience than I like at database knitting!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 09:50:16 »

I started getting new post email notifications of old posts.....it was weird until I realised what had probably happened again....it's settled down again now.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 10:44:14 »

Is it just me, or is there a new character encoding issue since this database recovery? There always have been some posts with obviously garbled characters, but now there are a lot more. While it's not something I'm really familiar with, it looks like UTF-8 being interpreted as ISO-8859-1 (which is what I see as charset= in the page source). I can't see any examples in "Recent Posts", so it may only affect recovered material.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 12:02:54 »

Yes I had noticed it too, ironically in a quote in one of your posts among others, (http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14408.msg169335#msg169335, but as you say recent posts appear to be ok.
[like]
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: