Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:57:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WALES TO WEYMOUTH  (Read 6018 times)
BRADNOCK

View Profile Email
« on: January 23, 2008, 16:53:59 »

Hi I have been looking at your web site for some time and have just had the courage to join and enter an observation that perhaps your members might comment on
My wife and I are occasional rail travelers on the route from west Wales to Weymouth to visit our family like most people I like to get a bargain and to book in advance and to get the cheaper tickets sometimes we travel together and others my wife travels alone. We used to get the Cardiff to Weymouth service although it was an adventure delays cancellation,  It was the most direct route. It suited when she traveled alone as she has concerns about changing train and delays. Now when we booked our tickets we have found that FGW (First Great Western) in there infonaut wisdom do not run direct from Cardiff to Weymouth but now start in Gloucester and we have to change at Bristol Parkway. Any ideas why?
 We sometimes travel via, Southampton  with the Cardiff to  Portsmouth service another pain then to Weymouth with SWT (South West Trains) (When we get to Southampton we rarely have any problems with the forward journey).   Would it not be nice if FGW would give up these routes and let SWT run them. They might get their act together and gives us a service that is run properly and not an afterthought. We have been traveling to Weymouth for many years and the service  have been slowly getting worse with overcrowded dirty slow delayed and canceled Undecided trains.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 18:05:12 »

Hi Bradnock and a warm welcome to the forum.

You make a number of good points in your post that many who post to this forum would agree with, one of them being the loss of direct Cardiff-Weymouth services. I'm not even sure whether FGW (First Great Western) will even run services direct from Cardiff during the summer months either; lets hope I'm wrong.

Overcrowding was a huge problem for this route last summer but that has been slowly getting worse over the past few years. IMHO (in my humble opinion) the only solution would be for FGW to bring back a regular loco-hauled service during summer weekends and the school summer holidays. This will free up stock to bolster other south coast services that get equally busy.

As far as the state of rolling stock goes, all the fleet that runs on the Weymouth line, 150s and 158s are being 'refreshed' so you should start to see an improvement in the state of rolling stock over the next few months.

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 18:06:56 »

FGW (First Great Western) should be using top'n tailed 67's on a couple of weymouth services this summer.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 05:49:30 »

Now when we booked our tickets we have found that FGW (First Great Western) in there infonaut wisdom do not run direct from Cardiff to Weymouth but now start in Gloucester and we have to change at Bristol Parkway. Any ideas why?

[snip]

We sometimes travel via, Southampton  with the Cardiff to  Portsmouth service another pain then to Weymouth with SWT (South West Trains) (When we get to Southampton we rarely have any problems with the forward journey).   Would it not be nice if FGW would give up these routes and let SWT run them. They might get their act together and gives us a service that is run properly and not an afterthought.

Hi, Bradnock, and welcome to the forum. I understand that the timetable was changed in early December, sending trains from Weymouth and Brighton, and the Westbury "stoppers", North rather than West from Bristol to even out the timetable between Bristol and Westbury, where there were 2 trains an hour but they were like London buses - running in a pair, then none for a long time.  Also to give a wider selection of Jourmey options from Bath, Bradford-on-Avon (which had a huge service increas), Trowbridge and Westbury. The change (which has not changed the trains-per-hour) has also meant the return of a through service from Weston-super-mare (and that line) to South Wales.  Any timetable change of this sort will bring winners and losers ... and it's particularly tough on the losers if the new service is less than 99.5% reliable (see how FGW are doing on that score here in whether or not it runs, let alone on time and making connections.

Which leads me on to your second point. 

South West Trains run a modern fleet of Electric trains along the South Coast to Weymouth, and I believe the trackwork is in excellent order.  There's a lower proportion of freight and other services on that line, and this service is one of the important backbone services of the operation. The line is double track (but is there one simgle line stretch now?) allowing a train that's delayed in one direction to pass a train that's on time in the other direction without delaying it too. 

First Great Western run the Weymouth line using trains that have got to the point where they require a lot more tender loving care, and in order to give them this love they have moved maintainance from Cardiff to a new section of the depot which is / has been behind in completion in Bristol.  Their fleet has far less room for manoever if there are failures at a typical rate, as part of the First bid for the franchise underspecified the trains needed and now they can't get enough of the type which they would, after all, like to be running.  The Weymouth to Great Malvern service runs over a lot of busy lines where there are "crossing" operations with other services considered to be more important, and it includes some big chunks of single line working. Some stretches (Worcester to Malvern in particular) are shared with a singled main line that's been having more that its fair share of problems, other stetches (Bristol to nearly Worcester) are shared with expresses and the Weymouth service sometimes has to be delayed to let a late running express go through first.

Help me, everyone - is that a reasonable summary?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:34:02 »

South West Trains run a modern fleet of Electric trains along the South Coast to Weymouth, and I believe the trackwork is in excellent order.  There's a lower proportion of freight and other services on that line, and this service is one of the important backbone services of the operation. The line is double track (but is there one simgle line stretch now?) allowing a train that's delayed in one direction to pass a train that's on time in the other direction without delaying it too. 
You are correct Graham, there is a short stretch of single track on the Weymouth-Waterloo line between Dorchester South and Moreton, why I don't know and don't understand why it wasn't doubled during electrifications in the mid eighties.

Going back to what is often referred to as the Bristol-Weymouth line, even though services start from further afield nowadays, there has been very little change to the amount of trains operated over the line since the days of BR (British Rail(ways)) with around 7 to 8 services operated on a daily basis though during the summer months BR used to run extra 'fast' services on Saturdays for holidaymakers.

Outside the summer months the line can be quite lightly used west of Frome and has been under threat in the past but has probably been saved by the large amount of passengers carried during summer Saturdays and school holidays. At these times frequent overcrowding has taken place with FGW (First Great Western) often having to lay on coaches to get everyone home after a day on the beach. The hope is that FGW will be able to operate a loco-hauled service this summer which will increase capacity on the line as well as releasing a unit to operate elsewhere on the network.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 10:14:04 »

The section of line in question was actually singled at the time of electrification. I'm afraid in those days a lot of "improvements" were double edged swords.   
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 12:47:48 »

The section of line in question was actually singled at the time of electrification. I'm afraid in those days a lot of "improvements" were double edged swords.   
Anyone know the reason why they did this?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 12:55:23 »

Money saving!
BRADNOCK

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 20:56:02 »

Many thanks  for the explanation on the change of the route from Cardiff To Gloucester / Malvern then to Weymouth, Very interesting though As you explained it seems to be inviting disaster in the busy summer season (Perhaps they could get an old 31 and a few coaches back for the school holidays) I have found in other peoples post that I am a little belated in mentioning a change of franchise to SWT (South West Trains)  For the Cardiff Portsmouth route and Weymouth line because as already stated SWT already share a good part of the Cardiff Portsmouth track.
 As I mentioned before SWT trains had better stock from Southampton to Weymouth That was before I met my first 444. Why get rid of the 442 they where in my and a lot of other peoples minds where far better, Send them back to Portsmouth and lets have the old Stock back. It ain't just FGW (First Great Western) that know how to cock it up.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: