Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:42:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[87] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[72] Return of the BRUTE?
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Survey Says Commuters Would Rather Pay To Park Than Use Public Transport  (Read 5456 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2008, 17:49:58 »

A survey of car commuters has revealed four-out-of-five would rather pay to use their companies' car parks than travel to work on public transport (link below.)
http://thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133464&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133158&contentPK=19634391&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174

Quotes from David Shelton, Motorpoint's managing director :

Many of our customers buy their cars with travel to work in mind as a major use. One reason for that is they believe buses, trains and trams are not providing an acceptable alternative for a number of reasons.

"This survey demonstrates that, unless this poor perception of public transport changes, our customers are going to be left without a real choice and may be forced into paying an unwanted tax where these workplace parking levy schemes are introduced.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 17:56:28 »

Doesn't surprise me one bit.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 21:47:24 »

A survey of car commuters has revealed four-out-of-five would rather pay to use their companies' car parks than travel to work on public transport (link below.)
http://thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133464&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133158&contentPK=19634391&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174

Quotes from David Shelton, Motorpoint's managing director :

Many of our customers buy their cars with travel to work in mind as a major use. One reason for that is they believe buses, trains and trams are not providing an acceptable alternative for a number of reasons.

"This survey demonstrates that, unless this poor perception of public transport changes, our customers are going to be left without a real choice and may be forced into paying an unwanted tax where these workplace parking levy schemes are introduced.

For me, it depends on the public transport

Bus = no way jose

Train = it depends
Long journeys = over 30 minutes = If I can get a seat with a table and enough space to work with some form of trolley (minimum) or buffet, yes but if any of the conditions dont apply, forget it
Short journeys = as above but without the trolley or buffet requirements

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:30:06 »

On a related note, Totnes MP (Member of Parliament) Anthony Steen last night claimed that MPs were "treated like dirt" over their pay and insisted they should be allowed to claim special taxi allowances to get around London - to avoid using the Underground (link below.)
http://thisisdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=143632&command=displayContent&sourceNode=142719&contentPK=19650001&folderPk=91672&pNodeId=201778

With MPs due to vote on their own pay rises today, Mr Steen said it was wrong to expect parliamentarians to use the Tube if it was raining or if they had a lot of paperwork with them.

He claimed it was "neither reasonable nor practical" to expect MPs to travel on public transport when heading back to constituencies at the end of the week.

Conservative party sources were quick to insist: "This is not party policy."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 20:07:59 »

Well you will never get most motorists to use a bus, a car is door to door, use a bus you have to get to the bus stop, that might be quite a walk, stand around in the cold and wet waiting for said bus, get on board and part with money, (paying for Fuel with a credit card doesn't feel like paying at the time) travel half as fast as driving, get stuck in the same Traffic jams, then when you get of bus another walk, and if a second bus is required FORGET IT.

Motorist's might use Trains, but buses NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 20:19:25 »

For some reason buses have a stigma attached to them that trams and trains don't have. That's why every city in the UK (United Kingdom) that has bought trams back it has been a huge success...so much so that they are now adding lines to their networks.

They have been trying to re-introduce a tram network for Bristol and Bath for years but the then labour dominated city council in Bristol and one Bristol MP (Member of Parliament) constantly blocked the proposals that in the end the firm who wanted to bring trams back upped sticks and left.

Thats transport progress for you and now First rule the roost on both the buses and trains in the Bath and Bristol area. Though to be fair to First things have improved a bit on the buses in Bath but Bristolians might not agree with regards to their bus services at the moment.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 00:37:48 »

On a related note, Totnes MP (Member of Parliament) Anthony Steen last night claimed that MPs were "treated like dirt" over their pay and insisted they should be allowed to claim special taxi allowances to get around London - to avoid using the Underground (link below.)
http://thisisdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=143632&command=displayContent&sourceNode=142719&contentPK=19650001&folderPk=91672&pNodeId=201778

With MPs due to vote on their own pay rises today, Mr Steen said it was wrong to expect parliamentarians to use the Tube if it was raining or if they had a lot of paperwork with them.

He claimed it was "neither reasonable nor practical" to expect MPs to travel on public transport when heading back to constituencies at the end of the week.

Conservative party sources were quick to insist: "This is not party policy."

There has been quite a reaction to Mr Steen's comments (link below.)
http://thisisdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=143632&command=displayContent&sourceNode=142719&contentPK=19662038&folderPk=91672&pNodeId=201778

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:11:25 »

A survey of car commuters has revealed ....

The first rule of doing a survey if you want it to be unbiased is to choose your sample randomly.  Doing a survey that asks people about their commuting habits and chooses to ask those who are already car commuters is, I suspect, going to end up with a report that's not worth the bandwidth given to it.

However - points made by other posters, I have to agree - there is a certain stigma attached to the bus. You have only to look at how our (business visitors) use of public transport underwent a sea change in December 2006 when the trains that our customers used were withdrawn.  Prior to that point, around 45% arrived by car, 40% by train, 10% by taxi / lift, usually from a more distant station or airport, and the number who used motor cycles, walked, and used the bus only added up to less than 5%

The bus stops RIGHT OUTSIDE our new place, about every hour (picture above and we are right behind the bus!).  We give publicity to the timetable, and we tell people how well it connects.  Result?  I would estimate 70% car, 20% taxi / lift, remaining 10% split pretty evenly between motor cycles, walking, bus, and the one remaining train that heads out at 19:50.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:21:28 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 00:54:34 »

A survey of car commuters has revealed ....

The first rule of doing a survey if you want it to be unbiased is to choose your sample randomly.  Doing a survey that asks people about their commuting habits and chooses to ask those who are already car commuters is, I suspect, going to end up with a report that's not worth the bandwidth given to it.

Me just the messenger, I thought the article would be of interest....

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 05:47:07 »

Me just the messenger, I thought the article would be of interest....

The article very interesting, and triggers a conversation - many thanks for posting it, Lee. As someone  who darned nearly ended up with a qualification in statistics (but I veered off to computing) I'm often fascinated by the way a biased sampling techninque - the one you reported on here for example, if the report has it right - can lead to results which need to be treated with a strong pinch of salt.

My reply may have been so terse in its quoting and opening remarks that people reading it in isoltaion could have believed that you were behind the report and not just the messenger.   My apologies, Lee.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: