Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 13:55:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol's Temple Gate layout change planned in £21m revamp  (Read 33247 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 13, 2015, 00:39:48 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Bristol's Temple Gate layout change planned in ^21m revamp

A public square will be created at the entrance of Temple Meads railway station if the proposals are accepted

A main route into Bristol is set to undergo a major revamp under proposals put forward by Bristol City Council.

The Temple Circus roundabout close to Temple Meads station will be built over and replaced with a public square and a more direct route into the city.

A city council spokesman said the new square would "give life to the area day and night".

The council has said the plans are part of a wider ^21m development across the Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone.

Plans for the revamp involve:
- Creating a single wide crossing point to replace three road crossings between the station and Brunel Mile
- Clearer public transport signs and a new Metrobus stop
- New cycle routes to connect with cycle paths being built on Clarence Road, Cattlemarket Road and to the rest of the Bristol cycle network

An exhibition of the plans will be held at the Engine Shed from Tuesday, 13 January until Friday, 30 January.

The deadline for the public consultation is 18 February, 2015.

Temple Circus roundabout, which is very close to Temple Meads station will be replaced under the plans

The new road layout will see a road straight into Bristol city centre and new pedestrian crossings

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 00:59:00 »

Much more information on the project, including details of public exhibitions and consultations, can be found at:

http://www.bristoltemplequarter.com/gate

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 10:14:03 »

Looks good!

I had fun filling in the survey - took the opportunity to highlight the similarities between the outgoing Temple Circus Gyratory (a failed, expensive, poorly-designed junction which was built despite a significant weight of informed opinion suggesting that a crossroads would have been better) with Metrobus (which the new plans seek to accommodate).

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 21:13:15 »

The artist's impression is typical of Bristol projects - just missing a few palm trees, a unicycling unicorn, somebody in a bikini...

...and end-to-end nose-to-tail traffic.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 20:15:28 »

Looks good!

I had fun filling in the survey - took the opportunity to highlight the similarities between the outgoing Temple Circus Gyratory (a failed, expensive, poorly-designed junction which was built despite a significant weight of informed opinion suggesting that a crossroads would have been better) with Metrobus (which the new plans seek to accommodate).

Went and filled in the survey too. Doubt if they will include an outdoor roller disco though!

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 20:40:34 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 22:45:37 »

took the opportunity to highlight the similarities between the outgoing Temple Circus Gyratory (a failed, expensive, poorly-designed junction which was built despite a significant weight of informed opinion suggesting that a crossroads would have been better) with Metrobus

Is Metrobus...

Note I deliberately chose a picture of a route that I used to be quite familiar with.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 00:18:50 by Surrey 455 » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:10:45 »

Is Metrobus...

The answer is:
  • Other

MetroBust n. A white elephant project designed to compensate for the failure of local authorities to agree on a tram route. Initially promising "A tram-like experience in high quality vehicles on segregated routes", it is now offering a bus-like experience in a bus-like bus on a road-like road, all for a ruinous ^200 million-plus.

Notes to describe context: Its most ardent supporter is Bristol's Cabinet member for Transport Cllr Mark Bradshaw. He has heaped praise on it, describing it as "...a lame duck project with virtually zero public support". Other prominent champions of MetroBust include Mayor George Ferguson, who paid gushing tribute to the scheme, describing it as "Flawed - a project chasing funds rather than a project worthy of funding", before saying he would ask to use the money for rail-based transport projects instead.
(Definition is from the Bristol Dictionary of Parallel Logic)

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 11:45:33 »

For them as finds this kind of thing entertaining, here is a drone's-eye view of the future road layout outside Temple Meads: https://youtu.be/RXsDo_mYRfc

Apparently it's all been delayed because they discovered the wrong kind of cellar when they got their diggers out... see, it's not just 'the railway' that cocks this kind of thing up. It's almost like it would be quite a good idea for someone to record where all the services were buried - if only we had access to the kind of technology that would make that cheap and easy.

Council apologises for extended Temple Circus roadworks

Major works to improve the Temple Circus junction have been extended due to unforeseen problems on the site.

The scheme is now due to be completed in autumn 2019 following a series of unexpected discoveries under the road – unrecorded electricity cables and water pipes as well as uncharted cellars under the roundabout and Victoria Street – all requiring major change to the planned programme. The installation of heat networks, vital to meeting the city’s carbon reduction targets, have also added an extra layer of complexity to the project, making progress slower than expected.

Source: Bristol Temple Quarter

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 14:13:53 »

Better safe than sorry with those cellars. A JCB suffering what physicists would describe as "a rapid decrease in potential energy" is something to be avoided.

Heat networks? I knew nothing of that.  Are we having combined heat and power on the site?

Now, please!
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 14:21:49 »

I wonder what the initial completion date was supposed to be for this? The fact it is going to take over a year from now to finish it seems a bit nuts considering how long the work seems to have been going on for.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 14:46:50 »

Heat networks? I knew nothing of that.  Are we having combined heat and power on the site?

What? have you never heard of the City Council's Energy Service Bristol? Or The Energy Service (which is probably the same thing, though it's hard to tell that or much else from their web pages)?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 15:53:05 »

I can't speak for FTN, obviously, but it's certainly the first I've heard of it. CHP is generally a good thing (I think) but it's not clear from this https://www.energyservicebristol.co.uk/business/heat-networks/ that the heat network they speak of is actually CHP – it sounds more like district heating.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 17:54:05 »

I can't speak for FTN, obviously, but it's certainly the first I've heard of it. CHP is generally a good thing (I think) but it's not clear from this https://www.energyservicebristol.co.uk/business/heat-networks/ that the heat network they speak of is actually CHP – it sounds more like district heating.

Maybe that's what Marv has up his sleeve - instead of the Arenal, we're getting a CHP power station fuelled by unicorn farts.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 18:14:30 »

Maybe that's what Marv has up his sleeve - instead of the Arenal, we're getting a CHP power station fuelled by unicorn farts.
Please don't make posts like that when I'm drinking my cup of tea...….
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 18:40:19 »

Hope this CHP (Combined Heat & Power) Network will be better maintained than New York's, when I was last there in a winter month walking along the sidewalks it was unpleasant keep having to walk through clouds of steam escaping from the network through sidewalk grills where the CHP was connected to a building.

Best to cut pollution in Bristol City Centre is introduce a congestion zone.

Years ago waiting for a bus home outside the Colston Tower, 3 DPD courier vans with each driver delivering just 1 parcel each was parked on either double yellow lines or in the "BUS STOP" area with two City Parking Wardens standing nearby, so close to me that I was able to shout to them, "Why don't you book them" as the bus arrived and couldn't get into the bus stop. Their reply. "They'd only appeal the ticket and have it cancelled".
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: