Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:57:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol's Temple Gate layout change planned in £21m revamp  (Read 33163 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 19:07:04 »

Here's a bit more explaining from another BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) offshoot, the Temple Quarter. Note that it dates from two years ago, so the Broughton House energy center has been running since before that. Part of this says:
How do energy centres work?
Energy centres work in much the same way a building’s plant room operates – but consolidate the heating (and occasionally power) needs of neighbouring buildings. This approach has several benefits, including:
  • Reducing the space required for HVAC (heating and cooling) plant within the buildings themselves, including boilers and associated infrastructure;
  • More efficient generation of heat and power, due to larger and more constant demands. Not only does this result in cheaper sources of energy for connected buildings, but it can improve local air quality (compared to individual heating systems).
  • Larger energy requirements allow a greater choice of technologies – whilst gas boilers are suitable in single homes, some larger and renewable sources of heat and power need larger steadier demands to run efficiently.
The energy centres themselves can be installed in existing buildings, such as the 1MW wood pellet boiler installed in Broughton House just outside the Enterprise Zone. They could also be installed in new bespoke buildings, as is often done in major new developments; or the final option is temporary energy centres, for instance having a portable boiler or combined heat and power (CHP) plant within a refurbished shipping container (similar to those close to Engine Shed by Bristol Temple Meads).

So what Broughton House has is an oversized boiler burning wood pellets - not CHP as all, and as for "low carbon"....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 19:24:49 by stuving » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 19:44:34 »

...another BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) offshoot, the Temple Quarter.

Not really a BCC offshoot; it's an Enterprize Zone - I think you could describe it as more-or-less a Quango.

And Broughton House, I think, you could more-or-less describe as a block of flats.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 00:47:43 »

I think you could describe it as more-or-less a Quango.

A fizzy orange drink?  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 08:53:19 »

Near enough. https://youtu.be/CroeBR_xMQY

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 12:50:15 »

And Now This .
http://news.bristol.gov.uk/work_to_transform_bristol_s_temple_meads_station_gets.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 13:19:16 »

When I first read it I thought they were suggesting demolishing the existing station.....then...phew... Roll Eyes Tongue
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 22:48:20 »

Apparently Marv's plan is to relocate Bristol's main railway station to a new location near Stoke Gifford...

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 10:22:37 »

Apparently Marv's plan is to relocate Bristol's main railway station to a new location near Stoke Gifford...

He could then use the space freed up for an arena.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 10:47:19 »

...before retiring to his dacha near Thornbury.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 11:14:36 »

Marv has closed all the cities public loos coz the council cant afford the million or so needed to keep them open, where is he going to get the billions to buy the vacated land from Network Rail / BR (British Rail(ways)) Residuary Board, a loan from the Chinese to which he seems to be very fond of cosying up to ? Perhaps he wants the Temple Meads location to be Bristol's main underground railway interchange point instead.

Since he has been mayor I have noticed a marked deterioration in the cleanliness of the cities streets with some streets and footpaths not yet relieved of last autumns leaf drop.

Just take a peep at the masses of vegetation growing up from the concrete constructions on the M32 into the city, hardly a good advertisement for the city or should it be the city for not pestering Highways England to get it removed.

Being born a Bristolian I am increasingly becoming ashamed of the city I have lived in or near for all my life with the elected politicians seemingly doing nowt to improve it yet all too willing to holding their hands out for their councillors allowances and all the other perks available to them. I have heard comments in City Hall. "Is there a lunchtime buffet for your meeting". "No". "I wont be staying on then".

One of the worst things Westminster did was when they allowed councillors to be paid an attendance allowance for attending meetings, when I was a councillor we didn't get anything as a right although we could apply for reasonable out of pocket expenses which had to go to a committee consisting of political party leaders, council chairperson, staff member of treasury department but in them days we stood at elections for the privilege of serving the people of the community in which you lived.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 11:42:57 »

It already receives around 10 million passengers a year and this is expected to rise to more than 22 million by 2030,
Blimey!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 15:37:57 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), the land to the north of the station is owned by the Homes & Communities Agency, the land next to Bristol & Exeter House is owned by Skanska (unless they have sold it to the Council), and most of the island in the middle of the gyratory system is owned by the Council, although the old hotel is not.

The old Royal Mail site is currently owned by the Council too - I think the deal is that the Council demolish the Royal Mail building and thus absolve the University of any liability.

The plans for the replacement of the gyratory system proposed that the current station approach would end up pedestrianised, with an Engine Shed II complex where the old hotel is now.

Apart from that it's probably safe to say that subject to someone agreeing to pay for it:

1) There will be a new station building/shopping centre/car park on the HCA land to the north of the station with as large an office block on top of it as they can get away with.
2) There will be an eastern entrance into Temple Meads (although I don't think there was anything in the University's master plan)
3) The old trainshed platforms will be reinstated (albeit after the signal box is removed and foot traffic re-routed)

The 11,000 new homes are presumably going on the land around Avon Street on the east side of the river, which presumably will be a nice little earner for the Council if it owns any of the land.   

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 10:35:30 »

It takes two to Quango.

Marv has closed all the cities public loos coz the council cant afford the million or so needed to keep them open, where is he going to get the billions to buy the vacated land from Network Rail / BR (British Rail(ways)) Residuary Board, a loan from the Chinese to which he seems to be very fond of cosying up to ?

How dare you make such an inflammatory comment!!! They're Malaysian. Smiley

The 11,000 new homes are presumably going on the land around Avon Street on the east side of the river, which presumably will be a nice little earner for the Council if it owns any of the land.   

It will still be a decent earner even if the council doesn't own it. The Community Infrastructure Levy for inner Bristol is £70 per square metre. That's around £5000 for a modest dwelling, or £55 million for 11,000 modest dwellings. Then there's all that lovely council tax.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:41:00 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 12:33:45 »

It will still be a decent earner even if the council doesn't own it. The Community Infrastructure Levy for inner Bristol is £70 per square metre. That's around £5000 for a modest dwelling, or £55 million for 11,000 modest dwellings. Then there's all that lovely council tax.

Interesting, isn't it - in the fifties and sixties, councils were keen to knock down houses to build light industrial units and roads; any prestigious city was proud of how their really big road systems connected the widget factories to low-density worker hutches in the suburbs. Now they've realised that by replacing those roads and now-derelict sheds with high-density houses, they can raise more revenue and make highly-desirable and liveable places; places that are, in many ways, similar to what was there before... If only someone could think of a way to allow people to move in and out of these areas without needing a car, the job would be a good 'un...

https://youtu.be/zyeMFSzPgGc

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 13:48:18 »

If the figure of 11,000 new dwellings is correct, that's the quota Marvin promised us and a bit extra in one go.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: