Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:32:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol's Temple Gate layout change planned in £21m revamp  (Read 33166 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2019, 11:29:10 »

I think the biggest obstacle to creating a more pleasant environment for St Mary Redcliffe – and the inhabitants of the flats, and people staying at the hotel opposite, and so on – is probably now Redcliffe Hill, chiefly due to its intrusive height. Being elevated, if only slightly, probably makes it harder to deal with though.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2019, 21:39:13 »

New bus stops to open at Temple Gate this weekend

First Bus September service changes will start operating from 00:01 on Sunday 15 [Sept 2019 - Ed] and will feature new bus stops at Temple Gate.

The new stops at Temple Gate will be on Redcliffe Way (T3) and Victoria Street (T7) shown on the map above. These stops add to the new northbound Metrobus stop (T2) on Temple Gate and the westbound stop on Recliffe Way (T4) that opened in July.

Details of the services at each stop are provided below:

Temple Meads Stn (T1)

1: Broomhill – Cribbs (towards Broomhill)
2: Stockwood – Cribbs (towards Stockwood)
22: Computershare Service (towards Computershare)
X39: Bath – Bristol (towards Bristol)
39: Bath – Bristol (towards Bristol)
91: Hengrove – City Centre (towards Centre)
92: Hengrove – City Centre (towards Centre)
177: Midsomer Norton – Bristol City Centre (towards Midsomer Norton)
178: Radstock – Bristol City Centre (towards Radstock)
376: Street – Bristol City Centre (towards Street)
668: Peasedown St John – Broadmead (towards Peasdown St John)
Bris: Brislington Park & Ride

There appear to be errors here, as martyjon points out below. It seems pretty unlikely that buses heading toward The Centre will stop at T1.

Temple Meads Stn (T2)

91: Hengrove – City Centre (towards Centre)
92: Hengrove – City Centre (towards Centre)
177: Midsomer Norton – Bristol City Centre (towards Centre)
178: Radstock – Bristol City Centre (towards Centre)
376: Street – Bristol City Centre (towards Centre)
668: Peasedown St John – Broadmead (towards Centre)

Temple Meads Stn (T3)

22: Computershare Service (towards Computershare)
X39: Bath – Bristol (towards Bath)
39: Bath – Bristol (towards Bath)
349: Keynsham – Bristol (towards Keynsham)
672: Blagdon – Bristol (towards Blagdon)

Temple Meads Stn (T4)

22: Computershare Service (towards Centre)
X39: Bath – Bristol (towards Bristol)
39: Bath – Bristol (towards Bristol)
349: Keynsham – Bristol (towards Bristol)
462: Bristol Science Park- Temple Meads (*both directions)

Temple Meads Station (T5)

8: Temple Meads Circular (Via Clifton)
9: Temple Meads Circular (Via Redland)
72: UWE- Temple Meads (towards UWE)
Hospital free bus: Temple Meads via BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)

Temple Meads Station (T6)

70: UWE – Temple Meads Station (towards Temple Meads)
A1: Bristol Airport – Bristol Bus Station (*both directions)
AG1: Ashton Gate Special Service (*operating on match days only)
73: Cribbs – Temple Meads Station (towards Temple Meads)

Temple Meads Stn (T7)

1: Broomhill – Cribbs Causeway (towards Cribbs)
2: Stockwood – Cribbs Causeway (towards Cribbs)
512: Totterdown/Bedminster – Broadmead (towards Broadmead)

Temple Gate (T8)

8: Temple Meads Circular (Via Clifton)
9: Temple Meads Circular (Via Redland)
72: UWE- Temple Meads (towards UWE)
177: Midsomer Norton – Bristol City Centre (towards Centre)
178: Radstock – Bristol City Centre (towards Centre)
376: Street – Bristol City Centre (towards Centre)
Port: Portway Park & Ride

Temple Gate (T9)

177: Midsomer Norton – Bristol City Centre (towards Midsomer Norton)
178: Radstock – Bristol City Centre (towards Radstock)
376: Street – Bristol City Centre (towards Street)

Redcliff Way (R5)

70: UWE – Temple Meads Station (towards Temple Meads)
73: Cribbs – Temple Meads Station (towards Temple Meads)

For details of the wider changes to services and timetables across the city please see the First Bus website.

Source: Bristol Temple Quarter

Edit - see note under T1
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:47:21 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2019, 22:58:10 »

And how this is going to confuse visitors. Before the change all the buses stopped opposite the station approach road. That stop has been removed and now pax have to take their pick of three, T2 or T4 or T7.

I hope visitors are successful in catching either the X39 or 39 from T1 towards Bristol someone didn't perform proof reading very well, another howler from Bristols leaders ?
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2019, 23:08:34 »

Getting to Temple Meade by bus has for years been a dog's dinner for non citizens. It's a matter of knowning which stop is the closest from wherever you come from on whichever route. Surely a Temple Meads bus service should have a less esoteric system? It does seem that Bristol transport planners have a disregard for a transport hub at a, errrm, transport hub.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2019, 23:44:26 »

And how this is going to confuse visitors. Before the change all the buses stopped opposite the station approach road. That stop has been removed and now pax have to take their pick of three, T2 or T4 or T7.

I hope visitors are successful in catching either the X39 or 39 from T1 towards Bristol someone didn't perform proof reading very well, another howler from Bristols lreaders ?
Wink

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2019, 08:08:49 »

Getting to Temple Meade by bus has for years been a dog's dinner for non citizens. It's a matter of knowning which stop is the closest from wherever you come from on whichever route. Surely a Temple Meads bus service should have a less esoteric system? It does seem that Bristol transport planners have a disregard for a transport hub at a, errrm, transport hub.

Quite. If you are at the Centre and want to get to Temple Meads, you have a choice of catching the numbers 8 and 9 in one direction or the X39 (and presumably others) going in the opposite direction. Although the former are signed for Temple Meads, I find it is usually quicker to catch the latter to the foot of the approach road.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2019, 10:11:06 »

Quite. If you are at the Centre and want to get to Temple Meads, you have a choice of catching the numbers 8 and 9 in one direction or the X39 (and presumably others) going in the opposite direction. Although the former are signed for Temple Meads, I find it is usually quicker to catch the latter to the foot of the approach road.

The majority of bus journeys are, I suspect, regular ones - which does not forgive the lack on information that we sometimes see.  Hear are a couple of examples of maps showing you where to catch your bus from London (population many millions) and Charlottetown (popuation 36,000). 

The Paddington map is online at http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/paddington-a4.pdf ; the Charlottetoewn one photograhed the other day.  I note I'm following up on a thread which asks about where to get your bus TO Temple Meads as well as your bus from there; there is a strong case for city-wide mapping to a consistent pattern.   I know Bath rather better; not sure if a map has gone up at the bus station after the changes of last week (the customer panel was pressing for one) - apparently a difficult request because of multiple operators, frequent changes and a shortage of staff / resources to produce it.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2019, 11:30:43 »

Bristol was actually a pioneer of clear, consistent on-street mapping. One of the simple but unusual features that make it effective is that the maps are always oriented in the direction the observer is looking; so if there is a map at the end of the Station Approach Road, an observer standing facing TM(resolve) would see the road stretching ahead of them with the station at the end in both reality and on the map (but the map would of course show more behind the buildings). The other side of the map would show the view of the buildings opposite. The cartographic convention of 'north up' has been abandoned as inappropriate for these uses. Another feature is concentric semicircles, centred on the position of the map, showing approximate walking times.

Which is great for people on foot and finding the bus stops, etc, but doesn't show where the buses go.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2019, 11:52:33 »

Bristol was actually a pioneer of clear, consistent on-street mapping....

The 'Bristol Legible City' initiative was indeed ground-breaking, and has been emulated elsewhere because it did what it sets out to do very well. Details are here: https://www.bristollegiblecity.info/

The 'Legible City' maps are very much aimed at pedestrians, so they show bus stop locations but don't show bus routes - too much information can be as bad as not enough. Producing clear maps is not easy, and no map can show everything.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2019, 13:37:41 »

Legible City, I knew it had a name but couldn't remember what, so thanks!

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2019, 14:05:43 »

I've found interpreting these street maps on occasion to conflict with my intuitive north at the top oriented mental map.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2019, 17:28:34 »

You can also get the 72 to Temple Meads that follows the same route as the 8 & 9 from Queens Road and the 70 from the Haymarket which follows the sane route as the X39/39 to Temple Meads but turns up the incline to terminate.

For months For Sale hoardings were in place on the former W.H.Smiths distribution centre and I continuously said the council should buy the site and build a Bus Station / Hub there with an entrance / exit to the station via the tunnel / passageway that leads to / from the station subway to the roadway in front of the Bristol and Exeter House. I would also advocate routing all country services via Temple Meads and the City Centre whilst continuing to terminate at the Bus Station
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2019, 19:22:38 »

For months For Sale hoardings were in place on the former W.H.Smiths distribution centre and I continuously said the council should buy the site and build a Bus Station / Hub there with an entrance / exit to the station via the tunnel / passageway that leads to / from the station subway to the roadway in front of the Bristol and Exeter House. I would also advocate routing all country services via Temple Meads and the City Centre whilst continuing to terminate at the Bus Station

Plot 6 - the site between Temple Meads and Friary - was long spoken of as a potential transport interchange, but it looks like this idea has died the death. Back in 2009 this site was the subject of a Freedom of Information request, from which it seemed clear that any hopes of a bus station there were becoming diluted into nothing more than 'having bus stops nearby':

I can advice that Policy CC1 of the Bristol Local Plan (1997) is the main planning policy against which any development proposals for sites around Temple Meads will need to be judged.

This can be viewed on the Council's website.

You can see that the thrust of this is to ensure the delivery of development that supports the establishment of transportation interchange facilities, which can include, bus, rapid transit, water borne movement and improved pedestrian movement along with car parking facilities.

The extent to which the land at Plot 6 will contribute to this policy requirement is unknown at this point in time.

More up-to-date, the Central Area Local Plan of 2015 states:

Bristol Temple Meads Station will be enhanced as a major transport interchange. The development of sites adjoining the station to the north will be expected to accommodate this interchange function.

At a stretch, Plot 6 could be considered to be 'north' of Temple Meads - it's hard to see where else they might mean.

I suppose the bottom line is that a transport hub can mean anything from a seamless interchange such as the one at Galashiels, to a rusty bus stop with a parking space nearby...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 20:32:52 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2019, 20:44:10 »

Quite. The terms interchange and hub are popular terms at the moment and could mean all manner of things.
Reading’s station northern interchange is simply a couple of poorly positioned bus stops that require a double back manoeuvre to use. This is probably what Temple Meads will get, the bus stops on the main road moved to a dead end road away from the traffic and badged as an interchange or hub.
Pavement

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2019, 20:47:32 »

The 'Bristol Legible City' initiative was indeed ground-breaking, and has been emulated elsewhere because it did what it sets out to do very well. Details are here: https://www.bristollegiblecity.info/

The 'Legible City' maps are very much aimed at pedestrians, so they show bus stop locations but don't show bus routes - too much information can be as bad as not enough. Producing clear maps is not easy, and no map can show everything.

There was a Legible City exhibition at the Architecture Centre early this year, and there was a board there showing bus route map displays for use at bus stops. They were similar to the London ones, showing the different routes from the stop snaking off to the various destinations on a schematic map. But very much part of the Legible City system, using the same colour schemes, fonts and iconography.

However, it wasn't clear whether this was part of the original system that has been abandoned, or a new proposal, or what.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: