Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:20:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol's Temple Gate layout change planned in £21m revamp  (Read 33159 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2019, 20:59:15 »

Central Area Local Plan.

What a work of fiction that is.

Talks of City Promenade, really only City Centre given a posh name.

Talks of Arena Quarter, scuppered by current Mayor.

Talks of regeneration of Cumberland Basin area and Plimsoll Bridge swings, current Mayor wants get rid of bridge and flatten area and start again.

Talks of Arts Quarter, news to me, where's that, Christmas Steps and Colston Street.

And how many quarters are there in a whole ? Me the village idiot says only ever 4, this reports contains so many that added to the current physically existing ones could amount to 13 so with any luck this report will as has occasioned to its predecessors be consigned to the same place, the waste paper basket.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2019, 21:08:02 »

Oh and I forgot, what's the difference between a Primary Shop Front and a Secondary Shop Front, to me a shop front is a shop front, FULL STOP.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2019, 21:11:42 »

What a work of fiction that is...

Well that was the 2015 version. The current draft reflects some of the changes you refer to, though it still states:

Station redevelopment plans will see Temple Meads become a modern integrated regional transport hub. This will include enhancing the connectivity of Bristol Temple Quarter. This improved connectivity means a new approach to development and renewal beyond the station area into a better connected St. Philip’s Marsh can be brought forward.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2019, 21:33:36 »

Oh,  there is a new draft of the work of fiction is there.  Have to browse another time. Had a long day.  07.45 m3x stuck in traffic on ring road this am due to the total b???s up by SG council over the Hambrook Lights saga, 1 hour 10 mins late arriving at City Centre, sorry City Promenade.         Roll Eyes  Angry  Roll Eyes
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2019, 23:12:05 »

I will state my opinion here. Plot 6 is the ideal point for a, hopefully, meaningful future bus/rail hub. No esoteric knowledge required, no complicated signage, just a very simple link to out and in going bus services. Will it happen? I'm more confident of my forthcoming telephone call from Barbara Brocoli to be the next James Bond. So I suppose the prospects are actually rather promising!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2019, 06:15:24 »

I presume plot 6 is the current station car park. When finally they demolish the Bristol Panel Signal Box I thought the plan was to bring the electric services into a modern railway station constructed in the shell of a 1800's structure. When I saw the artists impressions I commented that pax would be accessing the farthest of the reinstated platforms by a subway then as there was no indicative provision of a foot bridge shown. The answer was, "It hasn't been decided yet". I didn't let on to the consultant team who are the experts that there is a third option. Walk all the way past a 10 coach train to the buffer stop on platform 0, cross the pedestrian walkway past the buffer stop for platform -1 (minus one) to access the train which for holders of first class will be well pleased with their reserved seats being in the first coach at the London end of the rolling stock. Thus there would be 3 options to gain pedestrian access to plot 6, subway, footbridge or a walkway to a transport Hub ? on plot 6 but where would the car park currently located on plot 6 go, Oh go completely I see. I have heard mutterings that current thinking proposes to move the taxis and passenger drop off / pick up to plot 6 and give the whole of the station forecourt up to buses widening the pedestrian areas under the canopies on the forecourt to allow all bus services to be operated by double deck buses as the current 8, 9 and 72 route have to be single deckers as the road surface to canopies is insufficient headroom for a double decker. The irony of this is a few years ago the pedestrian area under the canopies was narrowed to provide a bus pull-in / lay-by so as to provide an addition lane for waiting taxis.

Must sign off now or I'll miss my 07.45 m3x MetroBus departure for its scheduled 40 minute journey to the City Promenade but I'm not hopeful of the schedule being achieved but I hope not a repeat of yesterdays 1 hour 50 minutes journey.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2019, 12:54:53 »

...  . The answer was, "It hasn't been decided yet". I didn't let on to the consultant team who are the experts that there is a third option. Walk all the way past a 10 coach train to the buffer stop on platform 0, cross the pedestrian walkway past the buffer stop for platform -1 (minus one) ...

I've trimmed that to help me understand it.   Sounds like a lesson learned from Cambridge.   You join a 12 car train at the buffers of the suburban platforms at King's Cross and when it gets to Cambridge it pulls in to the new platforms (are they 5 and 6?) where you have to walk all the way to the front to the footbridge, at the extreme country end.  Having crossed the footbridge, you walk back down the original platform opposite the middle of the train you have just got off - walk approx 18 carriage lengths in total or just under 400 metres.  But accessible, of course, because the new footbridge has lifts - never mind the distance.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2019, 13:24:23 »

Possibly martyjon is referring to the artist's impressions produced by AHR, which you can see here: https://www.ahr.co.uk/Temple-Meads-Regeneration

These appear to show mutually exclusive options - you can see that where there's a train in one view, there's an odd 'Space 1999'-style waiting module occupying the same space in another. I think the main point of these pictures is to give an idea of what a new roof might look like.

Access to Platform 0 will presumably be considered along with the question of how the rest of the station will be accessed from the Friary (Plot 6) side - I'm sure they won't want to block that access, and it seems most likely that a subway will be used given that the station stands on vaults.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2019, 16:30:51 »

If there will be more platforms accessed via the subway, presumably there will be more passengers using it. Are there any plans to install a second lift?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2019, 16:42:04 »

If there will be more platforms accessed via the subway, presumably there will be more passengers using it. Are there any plans to install a second lift?

Until plans are published, we can only guess...

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2019, 17:35:24 »

Yea, that was the docs. Would be interesting to see a map of TM(resolve)'s subterranean world.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2019, 19:03:17 »

Must sign off now or I'll miss my 07.45 m3x MetroBus departure for its scheduled 40 minute journey to the City Promenade but I'm not hopeful of the schedule being achieved but I hope not a repeat of yesterdays 1 hour 50 minutes journey.

Weeeell caught the said service which was on time and arrived at the City Promenade terminus stop 5 minutes early. Yesterdays debacle could only have been weather related as this morning when those fair weather cyclists / motor cyclists surfaced and drew back their bedroom curtains to see the bootifull sunshine decreed thay'd use the bike today whereas yesterday morning their same action was greeted with p*****g down rain and used the car.

On this afternoons return I was talking to the bus driver and she told me that yesterday morning she arrived at the City Promenade terminus to return to EG behind the previous service so she radioed contral requesting instructions and was told to run NIS to EG and return to the City as soon as she arrived there and was then just 5 minutes late when she arrived at Rupert Street for her relief.

Don't laf, new timetables posted at m3 MetroBus stops bear the wrong effective from date, printed timetables and websites all state 15th September, posted timetables state 16th September. Only 24 hours later but if that was a booked cruise ship the boat will have been missed.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2019, 17:41:27 »

Spotted an item on the very excellent roads.org.uk about the Army and Navy Flyover, in Chelmsford... an interesting read, I think. Like the erstwhile Redcliffe Flyover, it was designed as a temporary fix ahead of a planned major new junction, and like its Redcliffe sibling the new road happened somewhere else. Another similarity is that the local authority is having a hard time explaining why it has to go, and why it won't be replaced.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2019, 20:02:00 »

In terms of temporary flyovers outlasting their allotted span (sorry!), back in 2000 I was working in Warsaw, living on "Good Street" to give it a literal translation, on the left bank of the river very near a rickety old bridge which, I was told had been constructed right after WW2 by army engineers. All bridges in Warsaw (and most of the rest of the city) had been destroyed in 1944 so temporary bridges were the order of the day. This one was a wooden structure which you couldn't walk across (forbidden, no pavements), I certainly didn't dare cycle across (way too busy and narrow) and wasn't strong enough to carry buses. About a month after I left, they finished construction of its replacement, which is a rather splendid bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Świętokrzyski_Bridge

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2019, 20:07:10 »

Spotted an item on the very excellent roads.org.uk about the Army and Navy Flyover, in Chelmsford... an interesting read, I think. Like the erstwhile Redcliffe Flyover, it was designed as a temporary fix ahead of a planned major new junction, and like its Redcliffe sibling the new road happened somewhere else. Another similarity is that the local authority is having a hard time explaining why it has to go, and why it won't be replaced.

"This is an emergency situation," according to the council's deputy leader Cllr Kevin Bentley, "and I would ask for patience and understanding during this challenging time." He has also bravely pledged that he will "not place any Essex resident in danger". If you listen carefully you can hear his superhero cape rippling in the breeze.
At long last Essex Man joins the Marvel Universe.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: