I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:47:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol's Temple Gate layout change planned in £21m revamp  (Read 33174 times)
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2020, 13:09:44 »

A lot of the area behind the old Grosvenor Hotel building, between that and Redcliffe Way, was still fenced off. I haven't been back there since then so hopefully it's been cleared now. I can't remember if it looked finished, just that it was still fenced off.
Ahh yeah, apologies I thought you meant at the station

The area you mention still looks a long way off of completion, and seemingly odd that the bold statement was made about the works being complete yet there is this massive area in the middle of it all

Another odd thing some of these new tarmacked cycle paths have white lines and graphics painted on them others don't - so that can be added to a snag list too  Grin
initiation

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2020, 15:49:39 »

The timing of the pedestrian crossing going from the Grosvenor hotel to the Temple Meads side (comes out next to the car park) is woeful. It prioritises cars way to much.

Just before Christmas I was stood for a good 2-3 minutes waiting for the green man to apear. It meant my walk for a certain train went from reasonably leisurely to somewhat rushed. There isn't even a central reservation so it's more difficult to take your life into your own hands and cross halfway. Probably worth walking a bit further to cross opposite the station ramp instead.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2020, 15:54:21 »

I couldn't agree more with the previous poster. This definitely needs looking at again.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2020, 17:24:56 »

The timing of the pedestrian crossing going from the Grosvenor hotel to the Temple Meads side (comes out next to the car park) is woeful. It prioritises cars way to much.

This whole scheme is a curate's egg, if ever there was one. On the one hand we have road space being turned to public realm at Temple Square and, to some extent, Redcliffe Way; a Good Thing. On the other we have a road network which just makes you long for the day (soon, surely!) when the current generation of highways engineers retires.

As one who regularly fulminates about the glacial pace of rail improvement projects, I have to say that Bristol's efforts to squeeze out the private motor car are even more frustrating. Over 20 years since the Inner Circuit Road ceased to exist, we are still building huge roads that route massive amounts of traffic through the most sensitive parts of town. Meanwhile, while cyclists choose whether to stay on the main road and pass Temple Meads in 2 minutes or use expensive new cycle lanes that allow them to get through in over 6, pedestrians watch the cars (and minutes) pass by and hope they still have time to get to the other side of the road to catch their train of bus...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2020, 17:30:45 »

As one who regularly fulminates about the glacial pace of rail improvement projects, I have to say that Bristol's efforts to squeeze out the private motor car are even more frustrating. Over 20 years since the Inner Circuit Road ceased to exist, we are still building huge roads that route massive amounts of traffic through the most sensitive parts of town. Meanwhile, while cyclists choose whether to stay on the main road and pass Temple Meads in 2 minutes or use expensive new cycle lanes that allow them to get through in over 6, pedestrians watch the cars (and minutes) pass by and hope they still have time to get to the other side of the road to catch their train of bus...

I can't help wondering if we might look for a third dimension to solve this?   From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) earlier today, and what comes to Singapore in 2035 could come to Bristol in the following few years.

Volocopter is planning shorter journeys from bespoke Voloports and by 2035 aims to have dozens of these across Singapore, able to handle 10,000 passengers a day.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2020, 18:24:00 »

I can't help wondering if we might look for a third dimension to solve this?   From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) earlier today, and what comes to Singapore in 2035 could come to Bristol in the following few years.

Volocopter is planning shorter journeys from bespoke Voloports and by 2035 aims to have dozens of these across Singapore, able to handle 10,000 passengers a day.

If Bristol were to follow its usual processes for public transport, the Volocopter vehicles would be introduced just as they were becoming obsolete everywhere else, used to fly a couple of visiting cabinet ministers from Temple Meads to City Hall, then quietly forgotten about.  Grin

I visited Singapore in April last year, and it is somewhere I want to go back to. I called into the Marina Sands Hotel - the big one with three skyscrapers joined by the Sky Park on top - to get some tickets and to get into the impressive gardens opposite. I saw the fireworks and drones display on New Years Eve on TV (watch on catch-up if you missed it), and if the Volocopter idea can be done anywhere, it will happen in Singapore. I shan't be first to try it though - I watched the demonstration video, and the controls looked like normal helicopter controls. I tried flying a helicopter once, and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, even though I had thought it would be pretty difficult. I also would like to see what happens when one of the many engines stops running before my first flight as a passenger. Anyway, Singapore's normal taxis are very good, and not expensive.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2020, 18:55:48 »

In the words of Neils Bohr:
Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 23:08:24 by Red Squirrel » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2020, 19:40:32 »

Just before Christmas I was stood for a good 2-3 minutes waiting for the green man to apear. It meant my walk for a certain train went from reasonably leisurely to somewhat rushed. There isn't even a central reservation so it's more difficult to take your life into your own hands and cross halfway. Probably worth walking a bit further to cross opposite the station ramp instead.
The one with the countdown display? It's good in that it's much easier to see the green man than on the normal-for-Bristol display on the post by your elbow. Shame that green man is only lit for 7 seconds (I timed it) and, yes, an even bigger shame you have to wait so long for it.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2020, 20:27:26 »

The one with the countdown display? It's good in that it's much easier to see the green man than on the normal-for-Bristol display on the post by your elbow. Shame that green man is only lit for 7 seconds (I timed it) and, yes, an even bigger shame you have to wait so long for it.

Don't worry. It will be changed after the third serious accident.

Now, please!
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2020, 12:08:54 »

The difference with this junction though is that it only responds to someone pressing the button to cross where as all the others in that area just interact with the combination of red lights for the traffic.

I often use this crossing and hate to say I've never waited as long as you mention, but would assume that the crossing had just reset back to red man, so there is a minimum time before going back to the green man again

I assume that you still went up the incline when you had crossed the road though?
Otherwise you were lengthening your walk up to the station anyway going through the Temple Quay entrance
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2020, 13:58:12 »

I assume that you still went up the incline when you had crossed the road though?
Otherwise you were lengthening your walk up to the station anyway going through the Temple Quay entrance

According to my rough-and-ready calculation, the distance from the crossing by the Grosvenor Hotel to Platform 3 via Friary is about 385m, whereas via the Incline it is 388m. Not much in it either way, but apparently 60% of people enter through the Friary entrance these days.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2020, 17:11:42 »

I can't help wondering if we might look for a third dimension to solve this?   

If 'dystopia' was a word, then a sky full of drones and air-Ubers would define it perfectly.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2020, 14:15:50 »

If 'dystopia' was a word, then a sky full of drones and air-Ubers would define it perfectly.

I bet not many of the "visionaries" have thought about that, Red Squirrel, just thee and me. The city sky full of buzzing delivery drones and electric flying (and doubtless occasionally plunging) taxis seems a heavy price to pay for the rapid delivery of the Blu-ray box set of David Attenborough's latest series, or your novelty Greta Thunberg mug.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2020, 15:05:44 »

If you want examples of dystopiary, just come and look at my garden.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  

Jump to: