27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 23rd Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 10:58:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[130] "Mayflower"
[100] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] Where have I been?
[34] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[22] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridge to replace infamous underpass at Swindon  (Read 8403 times)
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2015, 17:03:47 »

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wiltshire

Plans have been unveiled to replace an underpass, known as a place for muggings, with a safer footbridge.

In recent years, several violent crimes have been committed in the underpass, which links Station Road and the Oasis Leisure Centre, in Swindon.

A Swindon Borough Council spokesman said a bid for government cash would be needed for the ^10m project.

Last June a man was stabbed to death in the area and earlier this week a woman was sexually assaulted.

An attempted robbery and an assault on a woman also took place in the pass, which runs under the railway line, last year.
'Wider benefits'

A council spokesman said: "We want to put a pedestrian bridge across the rail line to connect North Star with the town centre but getting it built is linked to the wider regeneration of that area.

"The cost of building a bridge will be in excess of ^10m, so we will need to put in a bid to central government for the money and show the wider benefits it will bring.

"We won't get funding for that amount simply because a bridge would be safer for users than an underpass - we have to show other reasons as well."

Conservative MP (Member of Parliament) for North Swindon, Justin Tomlinson, said: "This should be a thing of the past.

"As part of the town centre regeneration we would be better off having a pedestrian bridge with visibility and access," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-30792901
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 21:32:17 »

Thanks for posting, patch38.  Smiley

Selected from that particular BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news item:

Plans to replace Swindon 'muggings' underpass

A council spokesman said: "The cost of building a bridge will be in excess of ^10m ... We won't get funding for that amount simply because a bridge would be safer for users than an underpass - we have to show other reasons as well."

How much??  Roll Eyes Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 21:35:54 »

^10m for a footbridge?Huh  Shocked  Shocked   Shocked

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 21:43:39 »

Use to be the canal, my guess they want to put an over bridge in.

^10M don't get you much nowerdays

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 22:53:18 »

It would have to have quite a long approach ramp as the railway is on an embankment. Also it would need to be quite wide to ensure it was not just as hazardous as the underpass.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 00:00:04 »

This is the town centre end of the underpass

As has been said you would need quite a high footbridge to clear the railway - even more so with electrification in prospect.

It is part of National Cycleway 45 so I would hope cyclists would be accommodated and not faced with "Cyclists please dismount" signs.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:06:19 »

What to the Wilts and Berks Canal Trust think?    This is the former North Wilts Canal and although the Wilts and Berks when re-opened will avoid the town centre by quite a way, plans I have seen bring one leg into the town and then head off up the North Wilts, under that bridge again, up to Latton / the River Thames.

I'm not an architect, and my imagination of a great monstrosity rising from the ground on both sides and then crossing above the electric wires leaves me open-mouthed in awe.  Is that really needed?  I look at the solution at the next underpass along to the west, which is patrolled.  And the next public under crossing to the east which is shared with road traffic and becomes very much too busy (as I understand it) to have the same crime problems, even if it has the extra problem of bridge strikes.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: