Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:31:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DNS update - you may lose coffee shop while transfers happen and percolate  (Read 30736 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:01:48 »

You, dear users, know this site as "the Coffee Shop" at www.firstgreatwestern.info, but when you call up a page your computer transforms the www.firstgreatwestern.info into 83.170.95.163. It looks it up on via a "name server" which is logically close to you, and which talks to other name servers.  The 83.170.95.163 thing (the IP4 address) is to some extent geographic - think of it being computer number 163 in district 95 of city 170 and country 83, whereas the name is something that we choose logically based on who we are, not where we live.  So it's like a forename surname and the lookup system is like enquiring "where does Graham Ellis work" and being told "48, Spa Road, Melksham, Wilts".  With that latter piece of information, you can pop around and see me - with just my name, you're left guessing where I might be.

One of the elements we're using in this name lookup is very long in the tooth, and I'm re-arranging things so that we're more efficient for the future, and can retire one of the elements which is well past its "use by" date.  And this may mean a hiccough in the name lookup.  You might think that with "electronic speed" I could do this without you noticing, but the information about these name to IP mappings gets cached (stored) in order to keep the enquiry volume to a managable level, and even on central servers things are only updated every "so often".   So when I do the re-arrangement, it's possible that you'll find the coffee shop disappearing from your view for a while - with the worst case of "a while" being as much as a day or two.

Status update (via a name that won't be moved) - http://www.wellho.net/share/status.html

Change planned for overnight tonight (Saturday / Sunday) after you've had a chance to read this.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 20:12:27 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:16:08 »

So can you post a direct link to the new IP address in the status page to tide us over?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 09:27:15 »

So can you post a direct link to the new IP address in the status page to tide us over?

The IP address of the Coffee Shop server will remain unchanged - 83.170.95.163 - and I will post that on the status page.  However, we use virtual hosting, so visiting 83.170.95.163 directly won't do much for you; techies might like to set up local resolution of 83.170.95.163 to www.firstgreatwestern.info .

This will probably go seamlessly through for most people.  But as an IT person, words like "probably" and "most" are ones I don't want to use.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:55:12 »

As you will have gathered I've been doing a whole load of background work on the server and (investigating) a bit of a problem in the late evening - I've rolled the databases back by three hours and I'm re-checking things at the moment.  I have also moved the server DNS (Domain name service).

My apologies for the data loss - a couple of comments on these update threads, and (I think) a fining issue that Chris picked up, and a follow up "behind the counter".  I mention those here 'for the record'

As  write awaiting the next auto-backup .. and will see how it goes
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 20:47:46 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 18:57:11 »

I'll be moving the DNS (Domain name service) server again - a further consolidation - at some time in the next few weeks.  The changes just over 2 years ago (see up-thread) shifted the name service onto a package that includes a dedicated host of 2012 vintage, and I'll be moving everything associated with that host onto a new virtual host which will mean that my pocked doesn't need to be quite so deep in the future.

Should be seamless for just about everyone as I'll set the DNS name timeout down to an hour well prior to the changeover, and change in the early hours - but warning you just in case you wake up in need of a coffee and find that it's still not percolated through one morning!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 22:00:25 »

Thank you for that advance warning of those 'significant engineering works' here on the Coffee Shop forum, grahame.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 22:50:26 »

Let's hope that we lose nothing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 20:13:32 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 11:17:46 »

Transfer under way ...

patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 11:31:36 »

I have to say - that's the best explanation of IP addresses that I've ever read...  Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 13:03:35 »

Transfer under way ...

That explains the DNS (Domain name service) message I got earlier.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 13:58:17 »

Transfer under way ...

That explains the DNS (Domain name service) message I got earlier.

Yep ... that slight gap between unplugging from one place and plugging into another wasn't quite as slight as it should have been. Result, though, will allow me to cease paying for an old machine that has become uncompetitive.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: