02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:44 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 09:42:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[109] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[82] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[46] Where have I been?
[45] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[38] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Man killed by a train near Moreton station - 28 January 2015  (Read 7262 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 29, 2015, 20:13:37 »

From the Cotswold Journal:

Man killed by a train near Moreton station

An eighteen-year-old Moreton man has been killed by a train on the line between Moreton and Kingham.

British Transport Police confirmed they had been called to a foot crossing just south of Moreton station shortly before 3pm on Wednesday, January 28.

It followed a report someone had been struck by the 1.14pm Hereford to London Paddington First Great Western train on the North Cotswolds line.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

First Great Western confirmed the line was closed until 4pm and services have been returned to normal.

A spokesman for British Transport Police said Gloucestershire Constabulary and South Western Ambulance Service also attended. The incident is not being treated as suspicious and a file is being prepared for the coroner.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 08:35:42 »

Am I wrong, or am I reading about more of these incidents lately? Terrible waste of a young life, and such a shock for this young man's family; my heart goes out to them.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:53:51 »

Am I wrong, or am I reading about more of these incidents lately? Terrible waste of a young life, and such a shock for this young man's family; my heart goes out to them.

We had a discussion on this a couple of months back in our "Frequent Posters" area - [here] - and placed in that area out of sensitivity for the friends and family of the people involved, and also to avoid any accidental highlighting of the possibility to people who need help.

It's "always" happened, I fear.   Extra media coverage, more news at our fingertips, and we hear more. In the olden days, we got the news day by day, but now we get it minute by minute. In olden days, we knew what was going on on our line when we were using the trains, but these days we know about a lot of lines, and not only when we're travelling. 

So, yes, you are reading much more about them, Cynthia but - thank goodness - that's largely due to media accessibility than to a huge increase.  For sure, there are specific areas / location where the frequency is higher, and where it is lower

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:04:40 »

I posted the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) link in the Frequent Posters Club thread mentioned by Graham above.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:46:49 »

Maybe there could be an agreement to stop posting/discussing the details of each and every death/suicide on the Forum?

It does strike me as rather unnecessary sometimes, I'm not sure that it adds to the value of any of the threads/discussions that takes place?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:56:45 »

Maybe there could be an agreement to stop posting/discussing the details of each and every death/suicide on the Forum?

It does strike me as rather unnecessary sometimes, I'm not sure that it adds to the value of any of the threads/discussions that takes place?

It's a very difficult area - and probably a discussion best conducted (initially) by those of us who know the forum well enough to have posted a few times at least, rather than in public where those who are or could be personally involved will be able to read the genearillity of discussion and see it in the light of a specific case.   The subject has come up as to how to handle these situations, and been discussed in some detail, by the moderator team, but it may be worthy of expanding further in frequent posters.  Indeed, on this particular thread I wondered whether to divert the responses to there as I followed up earlier.

An important issue - but not a panically-urgent one; I (or another admin / mod) will pick this up later. Personally Im just on a "flyby" here this morning and have to get back to w**k  Wink

Added - 16:30, 31st Jan 2015 - I have written a follow up in "Frequent Posters" as promised -
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15300.0
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 16:37:52 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: