No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 17:44:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[76] Where have I been?
[75] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[71] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Death of another bus station?
[56] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Banbury resignalling starts  (Read 73884 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 12:07:57 »

That platform/siding is decommissioned. There is still (disconnected) track in the platform, waiting to be lifted.

More interesting is 7120 - its possible that the freight loop is not yet commissioned, and 9128- the bi-directional southbound signal off the down through iine - I'll see if that's been replaced tomorrow morning. I didn't look this morning..
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 12:17:44 »

That platform/siding is decommissioned. There is still (disconnected) track in the platform, waiting to be lifted.
Yet trains are using P4 - as I write 1H44 is sitting there due to depart at 1244?   Does that mean there is another signal that isn't shown on the diagram?

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2016, 12:31:21 »

The new platform 4 is now at the other end of the island - the north end, protected by signal 9135 northbound. Interestingly, there is currently 1H43 sitting in the south end loop behind '1244' in the platform! Something slightly amiss there!

7122 protects the exit from the through line that now holds the built-out new platform 4 onto the up main line.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 12:54:38 »

9128 signal has been replaced and commissioned as has 9135 and 7122.  Not sure about 7120.  Perhaps there is no data feed for the blank signals, or it just hasn't been added yet.  The '1244' you see would be a signaller reminder of the time of departure of the train in the platform.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 12:59:02 »

The new platform 4 is now at the other end of the island - the north end, protected by signal 9135 northbound. Interestingly, there is currently 1H43 sitting in the south end loop behind '1244' in the platform! Something slightly amiss there!

7122 protects the exit from the through line that now holds the built-out new platform 4 onto the up main line.

The black boxes are not geographically accurate as I understand it.  There is however a separate one for each direction for each platform, and having watched it for a few cycles of the timetable the southbound Chiltern stopping service always appears in the right hand box next to 7122, with its departure time in the other box to its left.  I'm fairly sure the train will however be physically alongside P4 during its period between arrival and departure?  Next one at 1300, 1U27, appeared in the LH box on arrival and then became 1H46 in the right hand box.   

(This happened while I was editing this post, I guess the sequence will show again in another hour.)

Likewise in the down direction, the box for 7129, is not drawn alongside the platform where a train would be standing.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 13:08:12 by paul7755 » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 14:06:46 »

ok, understood.

7122 protects the platform 4 through line out onto the UP mainline, not sure why it is white though. Ditto 7120 which protects the freight UP loop onto the UP mainline, again, why it's white?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 16:00:30 »

The black boxes are not geographically accurate as I understand it.  There is however a separate one for each direction for each platform, and having watched it for a few cycles of the timetable the southbound Chiltern stopping service always appears in the right hand box next to 7122, with its departure time in the other box to its left.  I'm fairly sure the train will however be physically alongside P4 during its period between arrival and departure?  Next one at 1300, 1U27, appeared in the LH box on arrival and then became 1H46 in the right hand box.   

Likewise in the down direction, the box for 7129, is not drawn alongside the platform where a train would be standing.

It's not always the case with those maps, but they are pretty accurate for the Banbury area.  The only mistake is showing a full length platform 4, as it is only half the length of platform 3 and located at the northern end.  The starting signal (OL7122) is actually located alongside OL7120 and OL3124 so is some way from the end of the platform - something drivers are not particularly happy about and are pressing for an 'OFF' indicator so they don't misread or read across their signal.  So, yes, they would be located alongside the platform.

In the down direction, OL7129 is actually located where it shows on the map.  There is a banner repeater for it at the northern end of platform 1, near the North Box.  This is to allow a freight train to be put recessed there if necessary and the Down Goods Loop towards OL7143 is fully occupied.

As for blank signals, perhaps 'poggs' can enlighten us, but I suspect that the data feed is missing, or incorrectly interpreted. There are other black signals in the area that was resignalled.

GCX is bidirectional through the station, but in the peak, it would delay incoming services, so doesn't tend to get used as compounding the delays results

Having thought about what you said, I think you'll find Gerrards Cross is only bi-directional in the up direction, so outgoing trains would be delayed when it's used and there's no way of one train passing another in the down direction - so that is only possible at South Ruislip, Princes Risborough (slow linespeeds) and Bicester North (blocks the up line).  For me, that's not enough.

High Wycombe in the up direction does indeed have the odd timetabled pass move, but only during quiet times of the day as there's nearly always a down train on the horizon that would get clobbered, especially when it comes to a delay recovery scenario.  That's not so much of a problem though as you have the passing point just down the line at Princes Risborough.

Also, there really could do with being a couple more signals between Haddenham and Bicester too as that can also hold things up a little.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 16:14:33 »

The black boxes are not geographically accurate as I understand it.  There is however a separate one for each direction for each platform, and having watched it for a few cycles of the timetable the southbound Chiltern stopping service always appears in the right hand box next to 7122, with its departure time in the other box to its left.  
It's not always the case with those maps, but they are pretty accurate for the Banbury area.  The only mistake is showing a full length platform 4, as it is only half the length of platform 3 and located at the northern end. 

Yes - perhaps 'not geographically accurate' was a poor choice of words.   Problem is presumably because the author is using a standardised set of building blocks for his drawings, and the minimum length he uses for a bidirectional platform is presumably that of the two 'black boxes'?   So it is hard to see how he could draw it more logically, except perhaps by increasing the the whole of P1, 2 and 3 as well, so that P4 can be shown at one end of P3;  IYSWIM...

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 16:17:13 »

It's not always the case with those maps, but they are pretty accurate for the Banbury area.  The only mistake is showing a full length platform 4, as it is only half the length of platform 3 and located at the northern end. 

Not even half-length - just 5 coaches long. Not sure how long platform 2 is (12 I think, but maybe 13)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 16:38:01 »

133 metres against 300 metres.  So, just under half, or 133/300ths if you want to be precise...

Press release here:  http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/gbp-76m-signal-and-track-upgrade-completed-on-time-as-network-rail-reopens-railway-between-banbury-bicester-and-leamington

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 17:33:02 »

Not sure where you got those figures from, but it certainly seems shorter than 44.333% of the adjoining platform. It only runs from the north end of the island as far as the enclosed waiting area glass wall on the island...looks just over a third of the full length
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 18:29:28 »

Not sure where you got those figures from, but it certainly seems shorter than 44.333% of the adjoining platform. It only runs from the north end of the island as far as the enclosed waiting area glass wall on the island...looks just over a third of the full length

44.333% is only 10% more than a third at 33.333%, so would 44.333% reasonably fall into the description of 'just over a third'?  Wink Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2016, 18:37:24 »

What may affect the rough estimate is that the platform building isn't midway along the island, it is offset towards the London end, and a quick check with Google Earth satellite view suggests the dimensions IndustryInsider posted are correct to within a few metres.  The old bay at the south end was only about 85 metres long.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 18:59:26 by paul7755 » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2016, 19:02:09 »

I got the lengths from the official Network Rail signalling alterations notice ('yellow peril') so I'd expect them to be pretty accurate.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2016, 18:37:09 »

All signals at Banbury are now reporting whether 'on' or 'off' on opentraintimes with the exception of Platform 4 in the up direction (OL7122).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: