Delayed
05:25 Swansea to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 06:00:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The difference between bus and train  (Read 9893 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 22:07:27 »

Well aren't some trains modelled on a bus? There was some in use around exeter but I can't rember the class number

The 2/3 car Pacers*. Classes 140 (prototype), 141 (UK (United Kingdom) use 1984-1997 then exported to Iran), 142, 143 (currently found in and around Exeter) and 144.

Preceding these were various single car prototypes.

All were/are based on bus bodies and components.

One of the single car prototypes, LEV1, was tested in and around Bristol in passenger service in 1981/82. A video of it in action can be seen here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bristol/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8302000/8302570.stm

*Or variously, Skippers, Nodding Donkeys, Bouncy Buses, Bouncy Castle, Pogo Stick, Bendy Bus...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 22:21:38 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 07:22:53 »

* I can work on my laptop on a train, and do so with ease.   If I try and work with my laptop on a bus (even the rail replacement one from Cardiff to Swansea yesterday on the M4) I feel nauseous.

* On line enquiries for trains normally give me scheduled times and prices, even when it involves a change from the service of one company to another.  Bus enquiries with connections are available, but you try finding the pricing information in a consistent way

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 07:42:31 »

As a senior traveller I can go virtually anywhere I want to for free on a bus,  Cheesy the train only offers me a small discount, having had to purchase a senior railcard.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 10:18:06 »

As a senior traveller I can go virtually anywhere I want to for free on a bus,  Cheesy the train only offers me a small discount, having had to purchase a senior railcard.
As a marginally less senior traveller I can get a massive discount on a train but I have to pay full fare on a bus!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 11:53:32 »

Buses can operate through difficult terrain in rural and semi-rural areas, trains can't. So, it would be great if somebody can find a solution to this:
A train shows a commitment to providing sustainable high-quality public transport where you live in the medium to long term.

A bus doesn't.

On a bus (well some of them) you can sit upstairs. You can't do that on any UK (United Kingdom) train.
On at least one bus I've been on, I found I could sit upstairs but not stand, which I discovered the hard way.

* I can work on my laptop on a train, and do so with ease.   If I try and work with my laptop on a bus (even the rail replacement one from Cardiff to Swansea yesterday on the M4) I feel nauseous.
On (some) buses between Frome and Bath you can use free WiFi, on Trains (between the same two points) you can't.
My local bus operator has five buses equiped with Wi-Fi. On two of them, I can effectively use a laptop at 16 seats. On another two, I can only use a laptop at arround 8 seats. On the other, and most other buses I've ever been on (which don't tend to have Wi-Fi) I don't think there are any seats where I can effectively use the laptop. The reason? Legroom, it is too hard to use a laptop while sitting sideways.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 12:34:20 »

Buses can operate through difficult terrain in rural and semi-rural areas, trains can't.

Eh??  I was at Swansea stations at late O'Clock last night, and just about the only train running was on the Shrewsbury line, which I would consider to be difficult terrain and distinctly rural.   Other lines through rural areas of difficult terrain include those to Whitby, Mallaig, Wick and Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 14:41:51 »

I can easily find out how much it would cost me to get from A to B on a train *

I haven't a clue how to find out how much a bus journey would cost

* it probably won't be the cheapest or even the correct price for the journey due to the complexities of the system, but at least I can establish a price
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 15:14:40 »

Buses don't grind to a halt when leaves fall off trees, nor are they subject to massive delays when a (traffic) signal fails, and they seem to be able to cope with normal seasonal variations in weather.

They tend to have a simple and transparent fare structure which is able to be understood by the majority of people, rather than rail which seems to have about 500 different prices/options for a single journey.

There are, however, few places worse to be stuck than on a bus with a screaming child.........at least on a train you can get up and go to a different carriage.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 15:47:37 »

Buses can operate through difficult terrain in rural and semi-rural areas, trains can't.

Eh??  I was at Swansea stations at late O'Clock last night, and just about the only train running was on the Shrewsbury line, which I would consider to be difficult terrain and distinctly rural.   Other lines through rural areas of difficult terrain include those to Whitby, Mallaig, Wick and Blaenau Ffestiniog.
Fair point. I was thinking of routes where there never has been a railway, like Fishguard - Cardigan - Aberaeron - Aberystwyth, when I wrote that. The rural nature means the cost of getting through the difficult terrain (lots of valleys to cross, rather than running along them as most of Carmarthen-Aberystwyth, for example, did) would never be justified.

Buses don't grind to a halt when leaves fall off trees
Nor do trains, I think. Isn't the problem with leaves that the train cannot stop moving (it slides) or cannot start moving (wheelspin)?? Neither are exactly decribed by the phrase 'grind to a halt'.

nor are they subject to massive delays when a (traffic) signal fails
What if the traffic signal is stuck on red? Doesn't happen very often, but how long does the driver wait before he/she knows the light is broken and ignores it. This seems mostly to be a problem with temporary lights at roadworks, which have caused my family delays (maybe not 'massive', I suppose) when travelling by car, so buses are probably subject to the same.

and they seem to be able to cope with normal seasonal variations in weather.
they cope to a degree, but so do trains surely? A few years back now I think, I was on one bus and missed a 'connection' into another in icy conditions. I think the missed 'connection' was down to the bus driver (justifiably, probably) taking it slow. That's one thing that seems the same with buses and trains, in both cases most (but not all) 'connections' will not be held.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: