Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
19:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
20:16 Frome to Westbury
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
17:28 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
18:57 London Paddington to Great Malvern
19:05 Great Malvern to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:30 Carmarthen to Bristol Parkway
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
Delayed
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 19:56:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[97] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] IETs at Melksham
[18] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[17] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[16] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Landslip near entrance to Harbury Tunnel  (Read 88589 times)
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 18:19:58 »

I've always assumed that the tight curve on the Oxford - Worcester line at Aston Magna was down to a similar issue - that the original alignment suffered from the local geology / soil mechanics. I've never found any reference that explains when the line was moved. Can anyone enlighten me?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 12:25:36 »

Closure for several weeks is on the cards.  That will be a big blow for Chiltern, Cross Country and the intermodal operators!

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Harbury-Tunnel-landslip-to-close-railway-for-several-weeks-226b.aspx

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 12:45:01 »

This is when a fully doubled Cotswold Line could have come into use. Are there any possibilities for Cross Country to divert services from Oxford to Birmingham via Worcester?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 14:32:00 »

This is when a fully doubled Cotswold Line could have come into use. Are there any possibilities for Cross Country to divert services from Oxford to Birmingham via Worcester?

With Swindon -> Kemble redoubled, Didcot to Birmingham via Swindon and Cheltenham Spa might be feasible.  And the line via Kemble was shown as a strategic line for freight diversions from Southampton to the Midlands and North in a recent government paper

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15061.0

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 15:25:45 »

I doubt that Voyagers are passed for the Cotswold Line, though they can and do run between Birmingham and Norton Junction at Worcester. HSTs (High Speed Train) are, of course cleared for the whole Oxford - Worcester - Birmingham route, though they are not permitted south of Basingstoke, and anyway don't run on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s South Coast route ( only on route to the South West).

And then, there is the minor problem of route knowledge and paths! Ah for the days of BR (British Rail(ways)).
ironstone11

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 17:27:15 »

An update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):
Landslip stops Chiltern Line trains at Harbury Tunnel

So there you have it: it's all Isambard Kingdom Brunel's fault. 

Perhaps Brunel did consider a tunnel, but realising the difficult ground conditions for tunnelling, considered a cutting to be the least worse option.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 17:59:59 »

Perhaps Brunel did consider a tunnel, but realising the difficult ground conditions for tunnelling, considered a cutting to be the least worse option.

I found this picture on flickr, and in its caption:
The sides of the cutting became unstable, resulting in some minor landslips. Work took place at various stages in the 1990's to rectify the problem.

And more recently ... presumably last winter's thorough soaking has freed up some more slip planes, hence it needed to be re-rectified. Is there any quick fix to hold a bank in place while you fix it properly? I suspect not, and any intervention risks provoking a slip.

Harbury tunnel is very short indeed. So short you wonder why anyone (Brunel or not) bothered with it. Or was a longer tunnel being dug when it fell in, leaving a very deep and steep cutting?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 19:46:35 »

And more recently ... presumably last winter's thorough soaking has freed up some more slip planes, hence it needed to be re-rectified. Is there any quick fix to hold a bank in place while you fix it properly? I suspect not, and any intervention risks provoking a slip.

You are correct there are no quick fixes with landslips.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 22:41:20 »

Harbury tunnel is very short indeed. So short you wonder why anyone (Brunel or not) bothered with it. Or was a longer tunnel being dug when it fell in, leaving a very deep and steep cutting?

Well, fancy that:
Date: 1869

Description: Work in progress in excavation of railway cutting, Harbury. c.1869

[It is thought that this picture shows the quarry siding and limekiln construction. The cutting and railway was opened in 1852 after the origonal tunnel collapsed in 1849. Brunel was brought to the site to see if the project could be rescued after the disaster]
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 23:20:02 »

... and not a single hi-viz orange outfit in sight, in that image: however did they manage?  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 23:40:03 »

Lots of freights through Slough tonight!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 00:47:48 »

Date: 1869

Description: Work in progress in excavation of railway cutting, Harbury. c.1869

[It is thought that this picture shows the quarry siding and limekiln construction. The cutting and railway was opened in 1852 after the origonal tunnel collapsed in 1849. Brunel was brought to the site to see if the project could be rescued after the disaster]

The same picture, with a different story, plus others, appear on the Warwickshire Railways site.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 00:56:44 »

Many thanks for researching and posting that historic item, stuving.  Smiley

I note that, sadly, another story on that particular page relates to the death of a schoolmaster who threw himself in front of a train - in 1895.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 21:46:26 »

I doubt that Voyagers are passed for the Cotswold Line, though they can and do run between Birmingham and Norton Junction at Worcester. HSTs (High Speed Train) are, of course cleared for the whole Oxford - Worcester - Birmingham route, though they are not permitted south of Basingstoke, and anyway don't run on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s South Coast route ( only on route to the South West).

And then, there is the minor problem of route knowledge and paths! Ah for the days of BR (British Rail(ways)).

Voyagers not passed for the Costwold line, just checked the traction route clearance certificate, unfortunately I can't find any public links to it so you'll have to take my word for it. To my knowledge only Bristol drivers sign the route from Didcot to Bristol / Gloucester via Swindon and a few Birmingham drivers Gloucester > Swindon > Bristol. Nowhere near enough to provide a robust service at short notice. Journey times along the route are generally only an hour longer utilising the buses between LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) and BAN, not too bad even in time of pre-planned engineering work.

One odd side effect is that Solihull is back (albeit temporarily) on the XC map as services running from Newcastle to Leamington every two hours are being given stop orders for SOL and Warwick Parkway - presumably vice Chiltern services to free up space at LMS.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 21:56:48 »

... unfortunately I can't find any public links to it so you'll have to take my word for it.

No problem with that, readytostart - thanks for your useful and informed comments.  Wink

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: