Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 00:05:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to complain effectively to FGW  (Read 24009 times)
thornebt

View Profile Email
« on: February 07, 2015, 18:53:38 »

I hope that my experience of complaining to FGW (First Great Western) may benefit some other users and save them some time.  I have found the following to be the case:-

*  Emails sent to FGW frequently receive no response but you can try them on fgwfeedback@firstgroup.com

*  It is probably better to phone Customer Services on 0345 7000125 - at least they then have to talk to you

*  They will give you a case reference number.  If you don't have any success in getting your issue resolved then...

*  Email Jason Ness, Customer Relations Manager  -  Jason.Ness@firstgroup.com quoting the case reference number, he probably won't reply so also copy it to the MD  MarkHopwood.FGW-MD@firstgroup.com so when you send a chaser email at least his MD will see that he hasn't responded

*  If you don't get anywhere with Jason Ness then complain to Customer Focus advice@passengerfocus.org.uk.  They are more helpful.

*  Be aware that the Customer Services people you speak to on the phone are based in India.  In my case they sent a number of emails to Jason Ness who is based in Plymouth but didn't receive a response to any of them.

Good luck.

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 19:11:55 »

blimey thornebt, it sounds like you had a pretty dismal experience there. Sorry to hear that. I must admit, the one relatively minor issue I took up with FGW (First Great Western) was resolved very quickly and with a minimum of fuss, but that was quite a while ago now.

Mind you, I notice from your email address that you're with virgin.net, so I'd imagine you have some considerable experience of being persistent when things go wrong, judging by the consistently bad press their customer service seems to receive! Really hope this gets sorted out for you sooner rather than later, anyway.
thornebt

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 19:36:53 »

Hi Phil.  I've always had perfectly good service from Virgin.net, completely reliable service, but they have now decided to pass their non fibre optic customers to TalkTalk so I'm being migrated there.  TalkTalk seem to have a lot of negative press about customer service but I guess it's always the case that if you don't have any problems with the service then you never need to contact the Customer Services team and you're a happy contented customer.

The customer service from FGW (First Great Western) is probably the worst I have ever received.  It's a shame as I have travelled by train for about half a century, even belonging to a railway club at secondary school which involved travelling all over the UK (United Kingdom) - to Crewe, York, Scotland, so many places, but I am now loathe to give any more money to FGW so will not travel by train again.  This might sound like an over-reaction but I just can't tolerate bad service.  I'm looking forward to some travelling on the SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) in France this summer though.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 22:39:27 »

I'm looking forward to some travelling on the SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) in France this summer though.

I'm afraid that SNCF's reputation for customer service when things go wrong is woeful.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:08:21 »

I must admit that when I want to communicate with FGW (First Great Western) to either complain or compliment about their service my first method is to email fgwfeedback so I get a reference number at the beginning of the process. Although I question the quality of some of responses at least the communication is logged on the system.

And yes there have been several compliments when I feel staff have gone above and beyond their duties. A notable example of this is our local station master * at Thatcham who is always helpful especially when things aren't going as well as they should be

* I don't think that the official jon title for this person is station master - but to me that's what he is doing. Providing a good customer service and taking pride in his station
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 11:53:51 »

I've only complained once but it went to the top after a dissatisfactory and contradicting response, that took them about 8 weeks to issue a mail merge that didn't really address my issues.
My email to Mark Hopwood was responded to by his deputy Andrew Mellors, but only after I contacted passenger focus.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 12:14:26 »

My experience with FGW (First Great Western) customer service has been pretty poor by phone but actually pretty good (if a little slow) in writing.....couple of times I've been held up by colossal delays and jumped in a taxi I have had the cost refunded on writing in with receipts (despite the usual "no payments in respect of consequential delays" line being trotted out at the time).

So in terms of actions after the event I'd give them 8/10.

What I feel they really struggle with is dealing with customers during times of major disruption.......blaming Network Rail when signals fall over is all well and good however it's up to FGW to manage the situation for their customers and the perception is always that staff tend to become invisible whenever there are problems leaving customers to fend for themselves............for example yesterday during the chaos caused by the power failure at Exeter I have heard (anecdotally) that people were being put on the wrong buses (there was already bustitution in place which probably caused confusion), there were no staff available to help at Taunton, and a general failure to provide adequate information.

If they can improve help on the ground when things go wrong (and lets face it, these things are happening more often) they would get better ratings than those received in the recent survey, tricky though that may be.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 14:01:35 by TaplowGreen » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 18:29:02 »

If they can improve help on the ground when things go wrong (and lets face it, these things are happening more often) they would get better ratings than those received in the recent survey, tricky though that may be.

Interesting complaints statistics from the latest ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) official figures:

Number of complaints per 100000 journeys: 

FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway): 28.7
Chiltern Railways:  102.2
Cross Country:  40.1
London Overground (the best): 3.3

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 19:41:10 »

What's going wrong at Chiltern? I thought they were one of the better performing TOCs (Train Operating Company) or is it they've been too successful with overcrowding now a big issue?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 19:46:22 »

Maybe we should ask our regular Chiltern advocate btline for a comment...   Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 19:51:26 »

It surprised me that Chiltern were the third most complained to TOC (Train Operating Company).

Virgin's answer for bagging the top two spots was that they make it easy to complain!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 21:19:49 »

How do they measure the complaints?

Does it include one line "sound offs" on Twitter as well as written/email complaints?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 10:36:12 »

Data is compiled from complaints recorded in the following ways:

• Letter
  • Webform/email
  • Telephone call
  • Meet the Manager
  • Online forums (run by the TOC (Train Operating Company))
  • Comments card

Excluded from the data are:

• Social Media
  • Invitations to claim - including Delay Repay, Passenger Charter, Declassification, Legal Claims, Customer Surveys, Here to Help
  • Complaints direct to Transport Focus/London Travelwatch

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/3874/complaints-reference-guide-2015-16.pdf

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 09:39:43 »

It surprised me that Chiltern were the third most complained to TOC (Train Operating Company).

Virgin's answer for bagging the top two spots was that they make it easy to complain!

Virgin as a whole proactively seek feedback, good or bad, and are acknowledged as leaders in Customer Service good practice, they want to "make it easy to complain" so that they can use the insight to improve their service......quite refreshing really....although whether it has any affect is another matter!!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 11:05:49 »

Ahh, but if they weren't giving people things to complain about...

They seem perversely proud to be at the top of the table. What they should be saying is, we will do everything in our power to be bottom of this table.

Customer Service focus should be on reducing complaints, not making it easier to complain.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: