Short Run
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 15:54:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[318] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[207] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[102] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[35] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[31] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[15] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Train Refunds app  (Read 24463 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2015, 15:11:50 »

Thought people might like to have a look at this;

http://trainrefunds.co.uk/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 20:57:05 »

Roll on delayrepay! Is there an app for lack of seating in 1st class yet?  Cheesy
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:41:45 »

Hmmn, does seem to me that it could be used by unscrupulous ticket / season holders to find the biggest delay for the journey shown on the ticket and claim for it, rather than the train on which they actually travelled.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 12:46:38 »

I agree - add rovers to that list as well.  That is why if ever I am delayed while using a non train specific ticket I always try to get the ticket endorsed by a train manager or some other form of evidence from him/her.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 13:24:58 »

Absolutely, although that is a criminal offence of fraud, so passengers can take that path at their own risk.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 13:31:05 »

Hmmn, does seem to me that it could be used by unscrupulous ticket / season holders to find the biggest delay for the journey shown on the ticket and claim for it, rather than the train on which they actually travelled.

That's a possibility of course, there will always be a minority of dishonest people who try to buck the system, but balanced against the hoops through which customers have to jump to get information, never mind an outcome on this subject, to say nothing of the unscrupulous way in which FGW (First Great Western) fails to sell the most economical ticket for its journeys via its TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) (for which it has been publicly censured), I'd trust human decency/honesty over Corporate greed any day of the week!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 13:33:01 »

I have never found refunds that hard to get.  I simply writer a letter spelling out which train it was, enclose the ticket(s) and send it to the freepost address in Plymouth.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 14:59:44 »

I have never found refunds that hard to get.  I simply writer a letter spelling out which train it was, enclose the ticket(s) and send it to the freepost address in Plymouth.

That's a possibility of course, there will always be a minority of dishonest people who try to buck the system, but balanced against the hoops through which customers have to jump to get information, never mind an outcome on this subject, to say nothing of ...

Any company worth its salt will be keeping a note of who its good customers are, and who's caused it problems with things like refunds in the past.   Added to this, I'm sure there are characteristics of claims which will indicate which ones are almost certainly AOK, and which ones are especially dubious.  So not everyone can expect the same treatment.  The regular traveller, with a long history of ticket purchase and a consistent occasional claim record is likely to be approved "on the nod", the person who's been penalty fared a couple of times and presents a claim which at face value could be questionable is likely to find it hard, and the "no prior record" majority will be somewhere in between.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 16:07:37 »

Nor have I - but I tend to take a photo of the ticket on my iPad, crop it and email it to customer services along with the required detail. Never had a problem so far
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 18:22:04 »

I've heard rumours (and I must repeay that they are rumours) that a number of TOCs (Train Operating Company) are developing a system to share information on delay repay claims.  The idea being to work out where passengers claim to be travelling on different trains at the same time or where they claim to have made an impossible combination of journeys on the same day.  I was also told that the system could potentially flag up constant claimers.

Although getting the ticket endorsed is a good idea, it isn't particularly practical when on a busy train (e.g. a 12-car 450, 8-car HST (High Speed Train) or a train without a guard).  It does, however, provide you with proof that you were on the specified service.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 18:37:37 »

I've heard rumours (and I must repeay that they are rumours) that a number of TOCs (Train Operating Company) are developing a system to share information on delay repay claims.  The idea being to work out where passengers claim to be travelling on different trains at the same time or where they claim to have made an impossible combination of journeys on the same day.  I was also told that the system could potentially flag up constant claimers.

Although getting the ticket endorsed is a good idea, it isn't particularly practical when on a busy train (e.g. a 12-car 450, 8-car HST (High Speed Train) or a train without a guard).  It does, however, provide you with proof that you were on the specified service.

Interesting set of priorities.I'd rather they spent time and resources developing systems to make trains reliable and punctual, TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) that don't rip off customers, information systems that keep customers informed during disruption etc that would save everyone concerned a great deal of time and money?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 18:46:14 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 20:54:57 »

Interesting set of priorities.I'd rather they spent time and resources developing systems to make trains reliable and punctual, TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) that don't rip off customers, information systems that keep customers informed during disruption etc that would save everyone concerned a great deal of time and money?

Seriously?  Last time I checked, revenue protection departments were not responsible for providing the train service or customer service/disruption information.  The clue is in the name!  Roll Eyes

The fact that TOCs think it is worth the investment speaks more about the attitudes and behaviours of society as a whole that such fraud will go on and need monitoring.

Having said that, if you would like RP to run the train service I am sure they would cancel all trains and then they can sleep easy knowing no-one had a free ride  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 09:41:05 »

"I've heard rumours (and I must repeat that they are rumours) that a number of TOCs (Train Operating Company) are developing a system to share information on delay repay claims."

I have some experience of this type of action regarding insurance claims and claims against supermarkets. Very difficult to administer within the existing Data Protection laws. A minefield, really.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 11:45:15 »

Seriously?  Last time I checked, revenue protection departments were not responsible for providing the train service or customer service/disruption information.  The clue is in the name!  Roll Eyes

The fact that TOCs think it is worth the investment speaks more about the attitudes and behaviours of society as a whole that such fraud will go on and need monitoring.

Having said that, if you would like RP to run the train service I am sure they would cancel all trains and then they can sleep easy knowing no-one had a free ride  Grin

My point is (and it clearly referred to the TOCs as a whole, not just individual departments) that if you treat the cause of a problem, the symptoms generally go away....provide/invest in a better all round service, and there won't be mountains of claims/complaints.

I'm sorry that you have such a cynical view of society's "attitudes and behaviours" - is this based on rigorous peer reviewed sociological research, or the front page of the Daily Mail?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 12:17:49 »

I've noticed a few posters getting all quote crazy again.  Hope the mods don't mind me raising it, but there's no need to provide four levels of quotes for a reply - especially if they're long quotes.  It makes for untidy reading, and looks awful on devices like mobiles with their small screens.  I guess it's tempting as it saves time, and I may have been guilty on one or two occasions in the past, but can I put a polite request out there to limit the use of the quote button, especially when replying to the last message on a given topic.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: