08:35 Banbury to Didcot Parkway
Delayed
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 07:32:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Airline compensation after Huzar vs Jet2.com  (Read 2065 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2015, 20:32:40 »

Here is a dispatch from the parallel world of air travel compensation.

Last year, in June, I flew back to London from Edinburgh and the flight was over three hours late. The plane fell ill in La Palma, and after several ETAs it was finally mended and got to EDI at 17:20 for a 15:10 departure. We set off at 18:05, but didn't touch down until 19:44, and docked at 19:48 (this was London City!) against the scheduled 16:30.

This was the week after the "Huzar v Jet2.com" appeal decision, so we reckoned we were due our ^250. I made my claim using their online form, and in reply BA» (British Airways - about) said:
The issue of what constitutes a technical fault amounting to an ^extraordinary circumstance^ was recently considered by the Court of Appeal in the case of Huzar v Jet2.com.  However, this is being appealed to the Supreme Court.  In the circumstances, we are postponing consideration of your claim for compensation until the Supreme Court has issued its decision.

In October, the Supreme Court told Jet2 (and other airlines) to go away and stop being silly, as they didn't have a proverbial leg, and refused to hear the case. So I reactivated my claim as BA suggested and they accepted within two days, and paid ^187 (fair exchange for ^250) within two weeks.

A few points occur to me:
1. I paid with air miles (OK, officially "Executive Club Avios"), plus ^35 in money. This makes no difference to the compensation at all.
2. That possibly did put me at the back of the queue to be put on one of two earlier London flights, though. They went to other airports, which might not suit everyone, but would not have bothered me.
3. There were only six of us left on this flight, so most had been transferred, which obviously limits the cash cost of compensating us.
4. The two others that I found out about were not flying near-freebies, and the woman who missed the wedding she was travelling to was probably probably inconsolable by cash (or diversion to Heathrow?) anyway.
5. In BA's case at least they seem to have accepted this is just how it is now. However, I wonder how many cases of airlines trying it on there will still be in the future.
6. Actually paying was a bit less slick. They wanted to use BACS, and didn't describe any alternatives. For sending bank details they offered e-mail and fax, and suggested splitting the info between messages. I sent one of each but they lost the fax (my sender reported success, which in a G3 fax must have been sent by the receiver). After being told payment had been "arranged" it took a week to be sent - really they should tell me after it has been sent, to avoid this indeterminate wait before I conclude it's gone missing (or not).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 22:15:11 »

Not so bad in railway land is it?  Tongue

Although a consistent policy across all TOCs (Train Operating Company) (and not the bare minimum laid out in the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage)) and delay compensation paid back in money instead of Rail Travel Vouchers would be an improvement.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: