Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 11:50:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[137] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[56] Signage - not making it easy ...
[11] IETs at Melksham
[10] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[9] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frome Station  (Read 30140 times)
Oberon

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2015, 08:34:22 »

The prospective candidate for the Somerton & Frome seat David Warburton has been talking about the local railway.

http://www.fromestandard.co.uk/Candidate-raises-possibility-second-rail-line/story-26081873-detail/story.html?
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 20:52:04 »

What also doesn't help is Frome being one of the Oldest Railway Stations in the Country has made it a listed building.

I have personally met with Mr Warburton in Routes Youth Cafe and he does seem a rather switched on chap. However I feel he may have severely underestimated the requirements needed to double track Frome Station.

What would probably build the case for double track any renewal works taking place in the Westbury area which means the InterCity services would use Frome for bustitution to Westbury and continue forward to Pewsey/Newbury etc. This has been done before on several occasions - particularly Sundays and when points have failed in the Westbury Area.

So it can be done on 1 Track already however it takes 15 minutes for a HST (High Speed Train) to take the Frome Branch line and to call there. So the risks to punctuality must be considered. Not to mention we all know what Westbury Signallers are like... That also doesn't take into account the Stone Trains to Whatley via Frome North Junction. Finally the few trains that terminate and reverse there - or sit in the Platform for 10 minutes!

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see more services through Frome. But the current layout of the station offers little prospect; particularly for anything of InterCity standard.

There is also consideration for South West Trains to run services via Frome. Also very welcome and I hope FGW (First Great Western) allow them to fill in the huge 3 hour service gaps in the timetable we have. Heck it might even open more journey oppertunities for FGW by passengers using SWT (South West Trains) to Westbury / Castle Cary to connect to FGW from there... Albeit probably embarrassing FGW Roll Eyes Oh and we then might have some genuine competition for rail travel.

I should also mention that the 2 current London Paddington trains from Frome per day take longer than the other options to change trains at Bath Spa, Swindon and/or Westbury.

But we still have the generation of Fromies who insist that changing trains from Diesel to Electric traction at Westbury or Newbury is too much trouble... Yet for 90% of journeys to London... We kinda have to do that anyway Roll Eyes Lips sealed Shocked

All in all if SWT get permissions to run trains through Frome in addition to anything further that FGW apply to their existing offering... I would probably call this out as a bad thing due to the congestion that it would probably cause. However this very hypothetical disruption could build a solid case... But ultimately we need people to use the trains...

Finally... It's farcical that Avoncliff gets a better service than Frome does however Roll Eyes Angry Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 21:18:15 »

Been a long time writing this - writ before the reply from thetrout, hence some duplication?

Quoting for critical review ...

Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Frome and Somerton, David Warburton, met with Rail Minister Claire Perry last week.

He said due to Frome's rapid expansion, the town needs better links to the capital, and hopes it will become a reality.

He said: "Fast and efficient rail links to Frome must form a vital part of the infrastructure for the future, and a fast train service to London would represent a massive benefit for local people, businesses, tourism and the economy in general.

and

Former chairman of the Frome Public Transport Users Association, John Leach, said he believed it would not be feasible in this time of austerity.

Mr Leach said: "Frome has been a single line station since 1968 and in order for it to become a double line, a new bridge would have to be built by the former First and Last pub, which would cost millions of pounds.

"The station is well used by residents and commuters, that is not in doubt, but the answer is more rolling stock from suppliers for larger trains. Mr Warburton's plans just aren't feasible in this current economic climate. I fear it is more of an electioneering stunt to get people to support their ideas."

And that review:

I wouldn't care to say whether this is an early feasibility suggestion, something that's well researched, or indeed electioneering.  In my view, the current service at Frome is sparse; any town of over 20,000 in the BaNES / West Wilts / North Wilts / Mendip economic area with a station could really do with an hourly service, and a gap from 09:35 to 15:01 on winter Sundays is dire, with 2-hour gaps during the day on weekdays being something that could do with infilling up to an hourly service.   But I'm not convinced that an hourly service would need a second track.  An examination of upcoming timetables sees scheduled trains at 13:44, 14:03, 14:41, 14:50, 14:59, 15:31, 15:47 and 15:55 on Mondays to Fridays, and it would seem to my (perhaps simple) mind that it's trains not tracks through the station that are needed.

Here are some things which might allow dramatic improvements at Frome:
* Re-arranging other local Westbury terminators and local trains passing through Westbury to and from the south to provide a more even service and better stock use for everyone
* 2 extra trains each way per day with re-diagramming of South West trains, London to Yeovil
* Provision of additional carriages / trains
* Updating of signalling and layout between Frome and Clink Road Junction to avoid freight blockage pinch points
* Relay existing track at Westbury Station platform 0 to allow robustness of operation there
* Resignalling of onward routes beyond Westbury to allow better than 35 minute headway.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 10:40:06 »

What also doesn't help is Frome being one of the Oldest Railway Stations in the Country has made it a listed building...

Does this cause much of a problem? I mean, OK, if English Heritage get involved they may ask NR» (Network Rail - home page) to reinstate the broad guage tracks...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 17:40:35 »

Does this cause much of a problem? I mean, OK, if English Heritage get involved they may ask NR» (Network Rail - home page) to reinstate the broad guage tracks...

Truth be told, I have absolutely no idea. But I vaguely recall some time ago that there were issues regarding the colour of the station building when it came to painting it...

I also agree with grahame that no Westbury bound trains between 09:35 and 15:01 on a winter Sunday is pathetic!

With regards to the 2 hour gaps in the timetable. I am very conscious of the bus services to Bath and Trowbridge of which there are 2 and 3 per hour retrospectively.

Faresaver run their X34 service to Trowbridge, Melksham and Chippenham upwards of every 30 minutes. It's a reliable and punctual service. However to Chippenham takes forever. Their 267 service is also hourly and takes around 40 minutes to complete the journey depending on traffic.

First Bus offer a 234 and 267 service both running hourly and taking slightly longer routes via Rode. Also a reliable and punctual service.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 18:15:31 »

So it can be done on 1 Track already however it takes 15 minutes for a HST (High Speed Train) to take the Frome Branch line and to call there. So the risks to punctuality must be considered.

Really? 1J99 is an HST that is timetabled to do Blatchbridge Jn to Clink Road Jn in 6^ minutes. It is, after all, less than two miles plus a stop. So the gain from doubling would be small.

If you were concerned about even that time, it might be because a train running late could cause another to wait on the main line. In that case surely you would be better advised to reinstate the other platform.

But that is where the historic status might rear up and bite you - you'd need a footbridge plus plus lifts for access (on both equality and safety grounds). I can only suggest making both platforms as long as the space available, which looks to be a 10-car IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) or thereabouts. Then you can put even an unsightly footbridge so far away it can't easily be seen at the same time as the station building.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 18:24:15 by stuving » Logged
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 16:02:21 »

It seems that I cannot count. You are quite right stuving - my apologies.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 20:25:12 »

From the Frome Standard:

^15k windfall to create better transport links to rail services

Frome Town Council has secured ^15,000 in funding from First Great Western's Community Improvement Fund.

The project aims to increase access to rail services for low income residents through discounted tickets, promotion, affordable car and bike hire and new bus links.

The council has said it will be working closely with First Great Western to explore opportunities to increase services at the station as part of the project.

The town council's resilience officer Anna Francis secured the funding. Ms Francis said: "This is a great opportunity to look at ways we can increase access to public transport in Frome. We will be working with Fair Frome, Frome's job centre and others to offer discounted tickets and easier routes. We will also be talking to local bus companies about linking up services with the railway station. And as part of the wider programme, we will be improving signage and pedestrian access."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 16:51:13 »

Points to note are that some progress is already apparent in Frome. We have had an additional (all year) Sunday service for a while - in from WSB» (Westbury - next trains) and out to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) at around 11.40. The Summer Sunday service has started at Easter this year, ca 7 weeks earlier. Every little helps.

Frome Town Council have plans to improve access to the station mainly from Housing Developer-provided funds. This will mainly be improved pedestrian links/signs/crossings. Doubtful whether bus connections will be improved as most bus services are in decline in Frome and elsewhere. First did try extending the 234 service at the station for a while but that obviously did not work very well.

Improved timetabling, rolling stock availability and perhaps track layout improvements towards Clink Road Junction are the only likely ways forward. SW Trains may also provide more but they will wish to review after 1-2 seasons.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: