Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:17:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW named Rail Business of the Year in 2015 and subsequent ongoing discussion  (Read 23514 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2015, 09:57:11 »

No - no one is going to pay for something they're not going to get....or get something different from what they're expecting to purchae
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2015, 11:41:34 »

That is what I was aiming to intimate through the medium of irony. As it happens I agree with you, I will try to keep such outbursts to "the lighter side" in future.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2015, 08:43:41 »

In which case, neither should they have to take the flack at all for NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s infrastructure failures or DfTs» (Department for Transport - about) incompetence....but they do. So I'm adding my name to others giving them so leeway in taking this credit....

Interesting change of tack from FGW (First Great Western) on this subject on their Twitter feed - whereas whenever there were questions along the lines of "when are the improvements coming?" there were soothing noises about massive investment and new trains running in 2017, questions are now re-tweeted to NR with a comment along the lines of "NR can tell you about progress on electrification"...............putting a bit of distance between themselves in view of what appears to be an inevitable lengthy delay/overspend?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2017, 10:40:32 »

I noted this old topic being viewed in my logs - and this post struck me as worth "bumping" and asking "where are we now?"

If I thought the company was useless, I would happily say so.  I've worked for two other TOCs (Train Operating Company) in my time on the railway and I know people aren't going to believe it when I say so, but FGW (First Great Western) have honestly got there heads screwed on, it's just a shame they haven't got a reliable infrastructure to run and the full support of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).
The other TOCs I worked for were happy to sit back and just run the franchise meeting the bare minimum requirements set down by the DfT, the only effort they made was to continually cut costs.  We watched as the good parts of the service were slowly axed, the state of the trains declined and morale plummeted. 
I've had former colleagues travel down to visit and they'll tell you my former TOC and FGW are worlds apart. 
Once again, if I thought the company was rubbish I'd happily tell you exactly the reasons why.  The only criticsim I have of FGW is that they could sometimes do with listening to suggestions from staff on the frontline a bit more when it comes to service disruption.

I'll start - actually, I don't think they're useless / rubbish - but they have allowed themselves to slip back recently, and at a time when external issues such as delayed electrification and so delayed cascades, coupled with new contracts meaning that trains have to be cascaded out, this slippage is noticed two times over.

Living and using a station that's been the fastest growing in England (percentage wise over the last 4 years) but has suffered (I believe) the highest cancellation rate of any GWR (Great Western Railway) station over recent months, the slippage is noticed here 3 times over.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2017, 11:24:32 »

I do not think that GWR (Great Western Railway) are "rubbish" but I feel that they could do a lot better.

As I have said previously, I have considerable misgivings about the design of the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) about to enter service. FGW (First Great Western) as they were known at the time, claimed that they had input into the design, so responsibility for mainly short units, for no buffet, and for largely airline seating, must rest largely with FGW, now GWR.

And I find it hard to forgive Mark Hopwood for stating in public that DMUs with underfloor engines were not suited or wanted on inter city routes. So what are we getting ? DMUs with underfloor engines ! great !

GWR have not IMHO (in my humble opinion) responded as well as they should have done to the various network rail failures. Co-operation with bus operators is very lacking, unforgiveable when they are both First group companies.

The Pullman restaurants are the main redeeming feature of GWR in my view, though it remains to be seen how well that will work with the downgrade to DMU operation.

And for the far West routes where it was originally proposed to retain proper inter city trains, another batch of DMUs are on order, "custom designed for longer distances" but still without a buffet.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2017, 12:39:37 »

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will have told Mark H what he could have. He had zero choice, without paying astronomically just to keep you & a few others happy

And boy, you do need to get over that buffet fixation.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2017, 17:50:08 »

Useless/Rubbish are of course highly subjective terms.

If however FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) were to be considered for Rail Business of the Year in the current climate, it would be against the background of (to name but a few);

-20% of LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) services late
-What must be record numbers of short formed services due to "more trains than usual needing repairs" (the word "usual" implying that this doesn't happen/won't happen for long)
-Weekend travel becoming a lottery across the region depending on whether or not enough drivers/Guards are available, with the same problem increasingly creeping into weekday services
-Genuinely appalling levels of customer service, ongoing for a year now, where customers wait months for replies to basic correspondence, complaints, and compensation.
- Increasing levels of ticket office closure and malfunctioning TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine)
- Self evident lack of management/leadership throughout the whole organisation

.................so if FGW/GWR win it again this year, God knows how bad the competition must be.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2017, 21:50:25 »

.................so if FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) win it again this year, God knows how bad the competition must be.

Well, they're up against Southern, for example.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2017, 07:50:11 »

.................so if FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) win it again this year, God knows how bad the competition must be.

Well, they're up against Southern, for example.  Tongue

Southern are up against ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about).

Maybe Least Worst Rail Business of the Year would be a more realistic aspiration? And let customers have a say in who "wins".
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: