Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:29 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 15:11:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[80] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[59] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[44] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[34] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[32] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Packed in like cattle': More overcrowding on trains between Bristol and Cardiff  (Read 11207 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: February 28, 2015, 00:57:41 »

From the Bristol Post:

'Packed in like cattle': More overcrowding on commuter trains between Bristol and Cardiff

Overcrowding on the 5.21pm train from Bristol

These images show the scale of the overcrowding on commuter trains between Bristol and Cardiff.

Taken on the train leaving Bristol Temple Meads at 5.21pm on Thursday, they show people packed into carriages with hardly any room to move.

Andy Downie said: "Treated worse than cattle by First Great Western. There are never enough carriages.I asked about safety before and was told crew are trained. My wife is 8.5 months pregnant and using this service as well. I know a few people who have passed out due to overcrowding too."

In response to angry tweets about the situation, a spokesperson for First Great Western said it was working on increasing capacity across the network.

They tweeted: "We are working on increasing capacity across the network, but this does take time. We have plans over the next 5 years, but you will see the effects of this a while before then."

One of the carriages on the train was missing, as it was needed elsewhere. This was due to another train being taken off the rails for repairs.

Beck Matthews said: "Nothing beats a 2 carriage pile of crap for 300 people to cram themselves on to at rush hour."

It isn't the first time the overcrowding has been noticed by commuters. The Bristol Post has written in the past about the struggles to people faced to get and from work.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 08:17:14 »

Beck Matthews said: "Nothing beats a 2 carriage pile of crap for 300 people to cram themselves on to at rush hour."
From the pictures, I'm guessing the 2-car unit used was a 150/1. You could beat that, it could be a single 153 or 143.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:20:54 »

That's not full! The photographer had room to aim his/her camera.

Try the Central Line eastbound from Bond Street at around, say, 17.00.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 14:08:51 »

That's not full! The photographer had room to aim his/her camera.

Try the Central Line eastbound from Bond Street at around, say, 17.00.

The Central line looks like that for a couple of hours each day, with trains running every 1/2 minutes! You can't open the windows either!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 17:49:39 »

I have experienced this on a daily basis on both Tube and Train - the Tube is different as journeys tend to be much shorter and there is always another one along in a few minutes....irrespective of this I cannot help thinking that one day there will be a tragedy which is made much worse due to ridiculously overcrowded conditions like this - I don't buy FGW (First Great Western)'s blase attitude that it's not dangerous and its the customer's fault if they choose to get on........were there to be (God forbid) a fire or other need for urgent evacuation I dread to think what might happen in these conditions.

This would not be acceptable in any other form of transport on safety grounds, never mind comfort, I am at a loss to understand how it is tolerated on the railways.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 18:05:48 »

This would not be acceptable in any other form of transport on safety grounds, never mind comfort
I don't know, I've seen similar to the pictures in the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) on buses. Although there is an official maximum passenger count on buses, unlike trains, it is a large enough number that passengers almost don't have room to move when the bus is full.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 18:12:55 »

This would not be acceptable in any other form of transport on safety grounds, never mind comfort
I don't know, I've seen similar to the pictures in the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) on buses. Although there is an official maximum passenger count on buses, unlike trains, it is a large enough number that passengers almost don't have room to move when the bus is full.

.....as you state there is a maximum passenger count on buses, clearly displayed, and I have often seen drivers tell people "no more room", in contrast on trains it is a complete free for all.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 20:31:34 »

This would not be acceptable in any other form of transport on safety grounds, never mind comfort, I am at a loss to understand how it is tolerated on the railways.

While I have sympathy for your concerns, one has to recognise that rail operates in a very different framework to road, sea and air travel and the hazards and risks are different both in kind and incidence.

Road transport is not constrained to a pre-defined path and, as is well known, impacts can happen both between vehicles and with the surroundings. These incidents occur with sufficient frequency to make it sensible to ensure that the users are both seated and strapped in - so the law requires this in both cars and coaches and everybody gets a seat. Stage buses are a special case in that in general, and certainly within towns where most passengers are carried, the speeds are not sufficiently high to be life-threateningly dangerous in the event of a sudden stop. It is acceptable to have standing passengers who will mainly be present at peak times when, due to road congestion, speeds will tend to be lower anyway.

Sea journeys tend to be longer and because of the way ships are built more space is allowed for each passenger. Accelerations in any axis tend to be low - except of course in severe storms but then one has sufficient warning for the passengers to sit down. Seat belts are not necessary and standing shoulder to shoulder cannot happen.

Aircraft are subject to constraints on weight, the position of the centre of gravity and the number of emergency exits so the passenger load has to be controlled. Aircraft are also subject to turbulence which means that large vertical accelerations can be experienced; seat belts are essential. The result is, as with car and coach travel, that every passenger has a seat.

Rail operates in a way which ensures that accelerations are low - the maximum is about 10%g longitudinally. Because of the end load requirements (200 tons-force with no permanent distortion of the body structure) coach bodies are strong enough to cope with the maximum number of passengers than can be accommodated in the space. As a result there are no design constraints on the maximum number of passengers - it is not necessary to limit the number of passengers to the number of seats. Under normal operation
The design case that you mention, fire, may of course occur, but one has to consider where fire is likely to happen as well as its frequency. For a fire to take hold it needs a fuel, a temperature high enough to ignite it and a supply of oxygen. Railway vehicles are constructed of fire-proof or fire-resistant materials; within the passenger space fuels are hard to come by (this is one of the reasons modern seats are so board-like) and an ignition source is difficult to find. Fire in emus and dmus is mostly likely to occur under the floor where hot engines, exhausts and high currents are to be found - if the in-built fire suppression does not smother it then there will be several minutes before any fire burns through the floor. In any event an underbody fire will be local to an engine or a fuel tank meaning the entire coach will not be engulfed at once giving passengers time to leave the train.

In the case of an accident, of course, things may develop differently - but once an accident has happened the results are very much in the lap of the gods. However fires in railway vehicles are very rare (I can think of three in the last twenty years: an HST (High Speed Train) losing a fuel tank near Maidenhead, the Ladbroke Grove accident and a recent fire in junction box of a Class 459/9 which burnt through the floor). Tens of thousands of people are carried by rail to and from work each day in London, New York, Paris, Hamburg, Berlin, Madrid and Rome and the number of fires is vanishingly small.

Overcrowding in trains might be unpleasant and it certainly damages the perception rail travel - but of itself it is not dangerous. Restricting the number of people in a railway coach because of the slight chance that an accident or a fire might occur is to condemn some of these people to death because of the greater chance of accidents on the roads.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 22:18:13 »

I have experienced this on a daily basis on both Tube and Train - the Tube is different as journeys tend to be much shorter and there is always another one along in a few minutes....irrespective of this I cannot help thinking that one day there will be a tragedy which is made much worse due to ridiculously overcrowded conditions like this - I don't buy FGW (First Great Western)'s blase attitude that it's not dangerous and its the customer's fault if they choose to get on........were there to be (God forbid) a fire or other need for urgent evacuation I dread to think what might happen in these conditions.

FYI (for your information), it's the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) who you may wish to accuse of being blase and not any specific TOC (Train Operating Company).

http://orr.gov.uk/what-and-how-we-regulate/health-and-safety/guidance-and-research/passenger-safety/crowding-on-trains

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 22:53:14 »

I've seen a technical drawing of a class 158 showing it at it's maximum designed occupancy. Basically, it's designed to have every space filled with a passenger. Having seen it, I firmly believe it is not humanly possible to have too many passengers on a train. I suspect the same is true for other classes of train too.

Now this may not be good news for passenger comfort, but their safety isn't being compromised.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 09:29:46 »

I've seen a technical drawing of a class 158 showing it at it's maximum designed occupancy. Basically, it's designed to have every space filled with a passenger. Having seen it, I firmly believe it is not humanly possible to have too many passengers on a train. I suspect the same is true for other classes of train too.

Now this may not be good news for passenger comfort, but their safety isn't being compromised.

........and what effect does an enclosed area having "every space filled with a passenger" have on the ability to evacuate it swiftly in the event of an emergency, which surely should be one of the first considerations?
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 09:57:10 »

For those interested, I uncovered the paper linked below, after a little googling, which goes into some detail about rail vehicle capacity, mainly from a design point of view, but nonetheless relevant to this topic.

Hong Kong and some other Asian cities, use a crush loading design capacity of 8-10 standing persons per square metre...!!

http://www.railway-technical.com/Infopaper%202%20Railway%20Passenger%20Vehicle%20Capacity%20v3.pdf
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 11:03:04 »

........and what effect does an enclosed area having "every space filled with a passenger" have on the ability to evacuate it swiftly in the event of an emergency, which surely should be one of the first considerations?

Just think: If you put a couple of hundred gallons of paraffin in each carriage, it'd be almost as unsafe as flying!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 12:02:53 »

Similar scenes on the Devon Metro yesterday (and most rush hours) as everyone rushed off to Sandy park. Never seen so many people trying to get on the Pacers before on a saturday afternoon. Somewhat terrifying, has to be said!
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 13:48:11 »

What type of emergency in a train demands a swift evacuation? Anyway it's a six or eight foot drop to the ground, so should each door be fitted with steps or a Jacob's ladder?

The last think one wants is an uncontrolled evacuation - straight into the path of a train coming the other way or tripping over a live 3rd rail.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: