12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 13:28:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[298] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[82] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Cornish delays
[53] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[30] Where have I been?
[29] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would it be realistic to renationalise the railways? - BBC News Magazine  (Read 20325 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 13:47:27 »

Ah so this is yet another company trying make its profits in countries where it is more advantageous. 
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 15:52:14 »

Ah so this is yet another company trying make its profits in countries where it is more advantageous. 

Yes, though since this business is all about financing, and companies lending each other lots of money, the transactions are not entirely artificial ones. The interest payments may be  inflated, through. I can't see that a company ought to use some tax advantages, like the ones encouraging capital investment and allowing tax to be deferred and losses offset, but not others, because the government that wrote them did so for another reason. I do wonder why governments ( not just here) have been so slow to curb these "side-effects", though a start has now been made.

To correct a couple of points: Eversholt Investments Ltd. is itself the Irish company owned by one in Luxembourg, and apart from a couple of financing companies the rest of the group - the companies that own stuff - are English. The ^50M dividend was in addition to the ^49M interest going to the shareholders, so it was paid out the the ^55M loss ... not the obvious way to run a company, is it? 

They do pay tax, but mostly in Ireland. There is an analysis of this, but I don't think it tells you much as it relates to the profit as declared and this is lower than it presumably should be. They paid very little this year, but over ^8M last year when the profit was ^53M.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 09:49:26 »

After refurbishment no longer works, as should happen soon with Pacers, you can flog them to some emerging country overseas, where they will seem ultra-modern.

The pacer owner ROSCOs» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) have already produced their glossy brochures to show that their 'assets' can be refreshed yet again to make them Equality Act and RVAR compliant. Sending them overseas is too much like hard work when UK (United Kingdom) PLC is still prepared to stump up for, and put up with, them.

I'd not be putting money on all the Class 14x fleet being retired from UK service by 31st December 2019.

Not forgetting of course that even if they aren't all modified by that date the Secretary of State has derogation powers to override EA and RVAR legislation if needs must...

Agree with all of that and would add that ROSCOs are not at all in the business of "flogging" their assets.  Why would they sell something for a one off payment when they can lease it out for an on-going return.  I expect that even when the stock is truly life expired, the ROSCOs would rather sell it to the scrap man than to someone who might put it to commercial use because that would mean competition in the provision of stock and potentially downward pressure on lease charges. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 10:06:21 »

Agree with all of that and would add that ROSCOs» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) are not at all in the business of "flogging" their assets.  Why would they sell something for a one off payment when they can lease it out for an on-going return. 

HSBC Rail sold (?)six class 483 2 car units to South West Trains in 2007, but then I suspect that we could find an exception to every rule.  Even in that rather odd case, I wondered "why"; said to be because of the embarrassment of the profit they were making, but I find that hard to believe.  More likely to get rid of some oddballs from their books, and the heavy maintenance issues too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: