I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:15 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:15:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I travel by train  (Read 46272 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 08:50:45 »

It'll be interesting to watch the complaints roll in on social media. There are only 254 connections available on any one router, I think

They already are, such as - impossible to get connected, when I do it's so slow it's useless etc etc....
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 18:23:43 »

For the first time in my life I actually caught a train to and from Maidenhead station one day this week. Whilst waiting for my train back I was standing on the platform in the sunshine and I thought it would be so nice to get on a train a go exploring on lines that I have never travelled on before armed with my trusty DSLR

Maybe on day Smiley

I do this quite often but I'm lucky to live away from the rush of London, where there is always seats and a lot more relaxed travel.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 20:23:13 »

Tc, I am extremely envious of your forthcoming trip and hope you may create a TR (trip report).

I could be persuaded to do so, I'm sure  Smiley Really looking forward to it, I have to say.

Not sure where you've been by train, but whilst it will be bread and butter to many on this forum, the ride from Exeter to Plymouth is really worth doing if you never have. You're next to the sea at Dawlish one minute, then climbing the Devon banks to skirt Dartmoor the next.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 20:31:33 »

Tc, I am extremely envious of your forthcoming trip and hope you may create a TR (trip report).

I could be persuaded to do so, I'm sure  Smiley Really looking forward to it, I have to say.

Not sure where you've been by train, but whilst it will be bread and butter to many on this forum, the ride from Exeter to Plymouth is really worth doing if you never have. You're next to the sea at Dawlish one minute, then climbing the Devon banks to skirt Dartmoor the next.

I had the "pleasure" of giving up a days Cornish holiday to come back up to newbury for a meeting and I did the journey up from Cornwall and back by train. It is a stunning journey and I totally agree with you TC(resolve). There are some other journeys I would like to do at leasure and they include

1) Cardiff to ebbw vale (I don't think you can do it from Newport yet)
2) servern beach line
3) some of the spurs from the GWML (Great Western Main Line) including windsor , Henley and Marlow
4) the oxenholm line in the lakes

And that's just for starters Smiley
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 22:44:50 »

I believe the "Northern Belle" is going to take us as far as Oxenholme, and we will proceed from there for a cruise on Lake Windermere by road. There is a branch line from Oxenholme to Windermere, but it's single track AFAIK (as far as I know) and I'm assuming that sending a charter down it would cause issues for regular services.

It's a pity that I don't believe we will go further north, as the line from Oxenholme to Penrith (through Tebay and Shap, paralleling the M6 for much of the way) is also a great trip.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 00:50:27 »

There is a branch line from Oxenholme to Windermere, but it's single track AFAIK (as far as I know) and I'm assuming that sending a charter down it would cause issues for regular services.

Windermere station is a bit limited, according to Wikipedia ...

The station was at one time bigger, with four platforms and an overall roof. Three tracks were taken out of use when the branch was reduced to a one-train operated single line in 1973 as an economy measure. The single track was cut back to a new truncated station in 1986

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2015, 07:01:30 »

It's a pity that I don't believe we will go further north, as the line from Oxenholme to Penrith (through Tebay and Shap, paralleling the M6 for much of the way) is also a great trip.

Yes, it is (IMHO (in my humble opinion)) I've done that on a Pendelino once - thankfully one of the journeys was in the daylight and very memorable
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 10:57:14 »

Mentioning all of these scenic routes reminds me of the one thing I miss the most on scenic rail journeys ............ the rush to the front seat behind the drivers cab of a 'proper' DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) in the hope that the driver has not pulled the blind down so that you can enjoy an unhindered view of the landscape!  It is alright for those of you who actually get to drive the 'modern' stuff, but us mere passengers can't even pull the slam-door window down, let alone stare out through the cab these days  Sad
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2015, 11:43:36 »

Only the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) (that I know of) affords the opportunity to sit at the front and get the "driver's eye view" these days (except that most of the time there isn't a driver!).

At times it seems to me a bit like a slow rollercoaster - descending west-bound from overground to underground on the way into Bank being a good example.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 12:04:03 »

Mentioning all of these scenic routes reminds me of the one thing I miss the most on scenic rail journeys ............ the rush to the front seat behind the drivers cab of a 'proper' DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) in the hope that the driver has not pulled the blind down so that you can enjoy an unhindered view of the landscape!  It is alright for those of you who actually get to drive the 'modern' stuff, but us mere passengers can't even pull the slam-door window down, let alone stare out through the cab these days  Sad

I had so forgotten about this! I seem to remember when I used to travel from Banbury to Oxford on DMUs in the 1970s I used to try and do this. I can't remember what class of DMU it was though.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 14:16:14 »

I had so forgotten about this! I seem to remember when I used to travel from Banbury to Oxford on DMUs in the 1970s I used to try and do this. I can't remember what class of DMU it was though.

I think some of the German ICE trains have this feature, but less sure if they're used on any particularly scenic routes.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 18:58:38 »

Only the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) (that I know of) affords the opportunity to sit at the front and get the "driver's eye view" these days (except that most of the time there isn't a driver!).
I've thought of that in the past for a new 'scenic sprinter' DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) design. The driver would unlock the desk (which I assume has the controls under it) at whichever end was leading, allowing passengers to look out of the back of the train but the driver would have one of the front seats. In these days of riot screens protecting bus drivers and unruly passengers it sadly would likely not be permited, the few unruly ones ruin it for the rest of us. The driving vehicles could look like a Devon Belle Observation Car.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2015, 19:56:35 »

It seems this is a good thread on which to say hello to everyone who's already here, so that's how I'll use it. Hello!

Now, why do I travel by train? I've always enjoyed train travel. I think in large part this goes back to when I was a child and train was always our transport for going on holiday - so just turning up at the station meant fun and excitement! At the same time though, trains were something ordinary - we lived by the railway line (not the station!) so seeing passing trains, of all sorts, was a normal event. I could never understand the attraction of train spotting. Beyond that, there are practical reasons. Train travel is usually relatively fast and stress-free, as well as comfortable for various distances.

And what journeys do I typically make by train? From Bristol (Temple Meads or Parkway, sometimes one is more convenient, sometimes the other) to Didcot or Reading, occasionally London; Bristol to Gloucester, Ashchurch or Malvern; to Chepstow and Cardiff; as well as occasional Severn Beach line trips. Oh, and in a couple of weeks I'll be travelling from Pewsey via Westbury, but that's very much a one-off!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2015, 20:12:46 »

A very warm welcome to the forum Bmblbzzz! Grin

Hopefully you don't have a sting in the tail and maybe I'll bump into you sometime at Temple Meads. If you see a portly bloke with a big nose and a grey flat cap it's probably me.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 20:15:14 »

A very warm welcome to the forum Bmblbzzz! Grin

Hopefully you don't have a sting in the tail and maybe I'll bump into you sometime at Temple Meads. If you see a portly bloke with a big nose and a grey flat cap it's probably me.  Wink

If you see him - don't claim your five pounds, get him to buy you a pint in Bonapartes.  Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: