I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:41:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I travel by train  (Read 46271 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 20:35:24 »

It seems this is a good thread on which to say hello to everyone who's already here, so that's how I'll use it. Hello!

Now, why do I travel by train? I've always enjoyed train travel. I think in large part this goes back to when I was a child and train was always our transport for going on holiday - so just turning up at the station meant fun and excitement!

Welcome indeed. I have a feeling that if you're an experienced train travel in your youth, you'll be a natural rail user for life - rather like riding a bicycle, and even if you have a big gap.   It was fun, exciting, almost a game for me in my youth - commuting to school and then to university for 13 years by train, dealing with the delays we had in those days by working a 'game plan' - though it's far less fun just at present in some areas like the Thames Valley and I'm very glad I don't have to face the journey from Paddington multiple times per week.

You have a wide variety of journeys there, Bmblbzzz - are you travelling most days, or just a few times a month?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2015, 20:56:59 »

... at Temple Meads ... if you see a portly bloke with a big nose and a grey flat cap it's probably me.  Wink

If you see him - don't claim your five pounds, get him to buy you a pint in Bonapartes.  Grin

I haven't been in there for a while, but even with a bitecard, five pounds for a pint in Bonapartes seems to be unfortunately rather too likely.  Shocked

Better to nip out of the station to the Wetherspoons in Temple Quay - similar / even better beer is much cheaper there!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2015, 21:11:17 »

...and I can use my 50p CAMRA vouchers in the Wetherspoons.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2015, 21:21:44 »

A very warm welcome to the forum Bmblbzzz! Grin

Hopefully you don't have a sting in the tail and maybe I'll bump into you sometime at Temple Meads. If you see a portly bloke with a big nose and a grey flat cap it's probably me.  Wink

If you see him - don't claim your five pounds, get him to buy you a pint in Bonapartes.  Grin

I'm half Scot.  You'll have to prise that fiver or cost of a pint from my cold dead hands.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 09:02:52 »

... at Temple Meads ... if you see a portly bloke with a big nose and a grey flat cap it's probably me.  Wink

I haven't been in there for a while, but even with a bitecard, five pounds for a pint in Bonapartes seems to be unfortunately rather too likely.  Shocked

Better to nip out of the station to the Wetherspoons in Temple Quay - similar / even better beer is much cheaper there!  Wink Cheesy Grin

..........where is this Wetherspoons that serves good beer? In my experience a lot of their cask ale is so far past its best that you could pour it on your chips! (I know they keep their prices down by buying stock that's close to its use by date).
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 09:07:52 »

I must admit I have had the occasional pint in a Wetherspoons that, by taste, was past its best.  However on the majority of occasions I have been served a decent pint and often in a handle glass too.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2015, 09:12:33 »

Welcome to the Forum, Bmblbzzz, and congratulations on having the longest user name without a vowel!  Tht's gt t B th rcrd?!

Wetherspoons?  Boycotted since they refused to let me take the dog even in the beer (if you can call it that) garden.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2015, 11:28:36 »

The quality of ale in Wetherspoons can vary from fantastic to off. Generally, I've found it OK. I'm looking for a foamy head, that clings to the side of the glass as you drink it. I do not want to get a whiff of Sarsons.

They normally exchange problem pints without question I've found.

Their breakfasts I've found are very reasonable for the price.

However, I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with them. IMO (in my opinion) they price what they can get away with whilst still undercutting what's left of the local competition in smaller towns. I like the Wetherspoons decor, homengenous as it tends to be, but I also want to see smaller independent pubs thrive.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2015, 11:30:15 »

often in a handle glass too.

I like the dimpled handled glasses a lot. I find generally you have to ask for them.

It's not just ascetics either, it stops your hand from warming the drink!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2015, 13:25:23 »

It's not just ascetics either...

Tsk, that old spellchecker... Actually that's rather a good one!

Ascetic n

A person who renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline, especially as an act of religious devotion.

Seems appropriate for a Wetherspoons.

(I suspect you wrote 'aesthetics')

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2015, 16:52:32 »

However, I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with them. IMO (in my opinion) they price what they can get away with whilst still undercutting what's left of the local competition in smaller towns. I like the Wetherspoons decor, homengenous as it tends to be, but I also want to see smaller independent pubs thrive.

I find them soulless, characterless warehouses selling mediocre beer - they (along with Pubcos) are destroying the traditional independent pub - once they're gone, they're gone forever.....it is good to see some community run pubs finding success though, especially when they promote micro/local breweries (if you happen to find yourself in Plymouth, try the Bread and Roses in Ebrington Street and you will see what I mean)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2015, 16:55:12 »

The Union Rooms in Plymouth (a Wetherspoons) serves a decent pint.

If the chain is so bad I wonder why CAMRA support and promote them?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2015, 17:00:11 »

The Union Rooms in Plymouth (a Wetherspoons) serves a decent pint.

If the chain is so bad I wonder why CAMRA support and promote them?

Obviously it's just my opinion.

However there's no doubt that the beer discount warehouses of JDW are contributing to the demise of the "proper" pub - same principle as supermarkets knocking out traditional shops - simple economics.

Union Rooms isn't too bad and it works for the area and its customer base but I wouldn't recommend risking the ale in the Mannamead on Mutley Plain (another one of theirs) - last time they had Abbott on and it would have needed a spoon to drink it - the Gog Magog on the Barbican is useful if you need vinegar for your chips too - try (or rather don't) the Greene King on a Saturday night (if you can get served!)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2015, 17:10:12 »

Wetherspoons have 880 locations out of an estate of around 930 that have attained 'Cask Marque' accreditation.

The "proper" pub, whatever that means, is more likely to be in demise because of the practises of pubcos like Punch Taverns and Enterprise Inns. And supermarkets are also partly to blame with their aggressive pricing for off sales of alcohol.

Solely blaming Wetherspoons for the demise of "proper" pubs is wide of the mark.

Mannamead in Mutley is 'Cask Marque' accredited and has a Food Hygiene Rating of 5. 

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2015, 17:14:23 »

Wetherspoons have 880 locations out of an estate of around 930 that have attained 'Cask Marque' accreditation.

The "proper" pub, whatever that means, is more likely to be in demise because of the practises of pubcos like Punch Taverns and Enterprise Inns. And supermarkets are also partly to blame with their aggressive pricing for off sales of alcohol.

Solely blaming Wetherspoons for the demise of "proper" pubs is wide of the mark.

Mannamead in Mutley is 'Cask Marque' accredited and has a Food Hygiene Rating of 5. 

BNM if you read my earlier post you will see that I am not solely blaming JDW - if you want to see a proper pub in Plymouth I'd be happy to take you on a tour next time I'm in town!  Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: