I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:07:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Group on the ECML  (Read 10253 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 18:24:42 »

Remember that the single generator unit (GU) on an 801 was there because of the requirement for hotel power to continue without a main electricity supply. The ability to move about a bit was secondary.

The electrical system components of an 800/801 are (AIUI (as I understand it)) a pantograph/transformer/converter producing 3000 VDC, and a diesel engine/alternator/converter (GU) also producing 3000 VDC, as sources, and then the drive/converter feeding four motors, and an auxiliary power supply (APS) including battery charging, fed off the 3000 VDC. So adding one GU to an electric 800 covers the off-mains requirement without designing any new bits, and the capability of using some of its power in the motors comes almost with no extra work - though not quite "only software".

If you want to design a battery to do the same thing it would have to feed and give back power at 3000 VDC. I'm sure that's quite possible, but whether you would do it would depend on what you started from, and beefing up the existing 110 V battery might be a lot easier. The APS supplies the heaver hotel loads at 400 V 3 phase, which will cover the lighter single-phase 230 V ones as well. So I can imagine that uprating that would be a much easier option.

Of course they are also working on batteries for storing traction power too, but the recent (last month!) announcement of this was of an experimental unit (for GWR (Great Western Railway)), and the agreement with Hyperdrive (last July) was to develop batteries. So it doesn't sound like they have one sitting on a shelf suitable for a production order.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 19:57:54 »

Of course they are also working on batteries for storing traction power too, but the recent (last month!) announcement of this was of an experimental unit (for GWR (Great Western Railway)), and the agreement with Hyperdrive (last July) was to develop batteries. So it doesn't sound like they have one sitting on a shelf suitable for a production order.

At the time of the recent announcement, I tried to picture what type of battery would be needed to get a fully laden IET (Intercity Express Train) moving away from a platform without some sort of meltdown. My inner cynic, seldom far from the surface, thought the idea was a bit of a publicity stunt to stop people asking when the first electric train would arrive in Penzance. Presumably, the general idea is to use the batteries to keep moving once the diesels have helped the train to its top speed. I wonder if it is worth GWR's while, although I suppose it might cost nothing to let a private company develop something that they may or may not use.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 20:29:40 »

At the time of the recent announcement, I tried to picture what type of battery would be needed to get a fully laden IET (Intercity Express Train) moving away from a platform without some sort of meltdown. My inner cynic, seldom far from the surface, thought the idea was a bit of a publicity stunt to stop people asking when the first electric train would arrive in Penzance. Presumably, the general idea is to use the batteries to keep moving once the diesels have helped the train to its top speed. I wonder if it is worth GWR's while, although I suppose it might cost nothing to let a private company develop something that they may or may not use.

There's another thread for that you know! But that initial trial train is a hybrid, so the battery has to be there to add extra power when the GUs are running flat out. That happens getting from mid-speed to fast quickly; the power needed at low speed is quite low. It has to be since it is (by definition, at the rail) equal to speed times force and the force (TE) is limited by adhesion to the same value (roughly) at all speeds.

But a supercapacitor would probably help!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 23:05:14 by stuving » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: