Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
18:38 Barnstaple to Exmouth
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 20:20:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal to phase out paper tickets by 2020 - ongoing discussion  (Read 19916 times)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 08:54:16 »

A) the same as if you left all forms if payment at home. You have to take responsibility for your own actions/property. It is no ine else's fault.
So, if I don't posess a smartphone, I am considered to have no means of payment?

B) as long as you'll accept the extra fare hike to pay for your extra staff member. Most won't
Only need an extra member of staff if there isn't a guard/revenue-protection-person on-board anyway. And if you actually had revenue-protection staff on every train you wouldn't need to staff or maintain the ticket barriers, they could be left open or removed. I think guards, able to inform passengers of alternative onward travel in the event of delays causing missed connections etc. are far more worthwhile that ticket barriers.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 08:56:40 »

It does still contain that bit about making travel more accessible, which I rather doubt - in the sense that many of the people most likely to find the current system confusing would find e-tickets even worse.

A very good point.  I have a circle of relations who find the fares system rather too complex for them and a look to me to buy tickets and reservations on their behalf.  How will that work once paper tickets go.  Is that more accessible for them?

Then apply pressure to get the fare system simplified?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:20 »

What if your mobile phone is just a phone (not one of these 'smart' thingies), has a flat battery, or has been left at home or in the heavy bag your grandmother said she would take home by car for you...

Well I certainly will not be getting my phone out and waving it around the ticket barrier when 3 trains worth of impatient passengers and scores of messing around school kids are trying to barge through them at Maidenhead every morning....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 09:37:29 »

Told by a DSM at Bristol TM(resolve) this morning that e-tickets are coming to the Severn Beach Line from September. He knew not whether all ticket types would be available. Does any TOC (Train Operating Company) currently sell walk-up e-tickets?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 10:45:32 »

A) the same as if you left all forms if payment at home. You have to take responsibility for your own actions/property. It is no ine else's fault.
So, if I don't posess a smartphone, I am considered to have no means of payment?

I didn't say that. If you leave your smartphone (if you have one) and you're wallet (with cards cards/cash in) at home, you're knackered. Same as now, no change. It's your fault.

B) as long as you'll accept the extra fare hike to pay for your extra staff member. Most won't
Only need an extra member of staff if there isn't a guard/revenue-protection-person on-board anyway. And if you actually had revenue-protection staff on every train you wouldn't need to staff or maintain the ticket barriers, they could be left open or removed.[/quote]

doh! Which do you think would be cheaper? a few on each set of barriers or one revenue person on each train, first train to last train? Isn't that why barriers were invented?

I think guards, able to inform passengers of alternative onward travel in the event of delays causing missed connections etc. are far more worthwhile that ticket barriers.

So do I - but the accountants don't
[/quote]
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 11:39:26 »

I didn't say that. If you leave your smartphone (if you have one) and you're wallet (with cards cards/cash in) at home, you're knackered. Same as now, no change. It's your fault.
Eh? I thought the suggestion was that paper tickets would no longer exist, in which case if I don't have a phone I would be unable to buy a ticket, even if I have cash in my pocket ready to pay.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 11:54:34 »

Told by a DSM at Bristol TM(resolve) this morning that e-tickets are coming to the Severn Beach Line from September. He knew not whether all ticket types would be available. Does any TOC (Train Operating Company) currently sell walk-up e-tickets?

Don't think so. This'll be interesting....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 14:41:51 »

DSM seem pretty convinced. FGW (First Great Western) Management team chap, not one of the supervisors on DSM duties.

Also told me that other Bristol area improvements that are the responsibility of the TOC (Train Operating Company) aren't going ahead whilst the franchise is in limbo. Such as TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) and staffing for Clifton Down. His reasoning? Why should FGW invest if they may not be the franchisee soon?

So I learned a little to answer the Wolmar question. Franchising is for delaying investment until it suits the franchisee, not because it is needed.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 18:50:39 »

So I learned a little to answer the Wolmar question. Franchising is for delaying investment until it suits the franchisee, not because it is needed.

I suggest franchises must have been put in place with the sole intention of annoying BNM. Or so it would seem. Why would a company agree to pay ^30k for a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) with no hope of getting a return on it?

If you want a charity to run the railways I suggest you start one and see how long it takes them to raise the ^30k for a TVM. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 00:35:11 »

I suggest franchises must have been put in place with the sole intention of annoying BNM. Or so it would seem. Why would a company agree to pay ^30k for a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) with no hope of getting a return on it?

If you want a charity to run the railways I suggest you start one and see how long it takes them to raise the ^30k for a TVM. 

Straw man.  Roll Eyes

Yes, I drew my own conclusion. But there must be something not quite right in the 'system' if I have a well placed manager (near the top of Bristol TM(resolve) hierarchy) telling me that the issues I raised would have been addressed were it not for the uncertainty with the FGW (First Great Western) franchise.*

I look forward to the e-ticket trial I was told about this morning. But experience tells me that what Bristol TM managers tell me is far removed from what actually happens. Already in this thread we have a FGW Customer Panel member totally unaware of such a trial. I've asked FGW Customer Services via social media about this trial. Initial reply is best summed up as 'Huh?'

*I await the "It's not FGW's fault" response...

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 10:37:11 »

But experience tells me that what Bristol TM(resolve) managers tell me is far removed from what actually happens.

Makes you wonder why then you don't take their info with a touch of suspicion then if they're rarely right?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 17:07:25 »

DSM seem pretty convinced. FGW (First Great Western) Management team chap, not one of the supervisors on DSM duties.

Also told me that other Bristol area improvements that are the responsibility of the TOC (Train Operating Company) aren't going ahead whilst the franchise is in limbo. Such as TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) and staffing for Clifton Down. His reasoning? Why should FGW invest if they may not be the franchisee soon?

Sadly, that makes perfect commercial sense. The previous TVM at Clifton Down was vandalised within days. Anything that increases the take at the fare box - remember it is still only ^3 return from SVB to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - will make this line less susceptible to politics.

My preferred option would be the contactless card readers as on London Underground - so easy to use. You can buy tickets for First buses by mobile phone, and they are being used. I keep forgetting to charge my phone up, so I haven't looked into it yet.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 20:09:32 »

A separate topic about the forthcoming trial of Smart Ticketing on the Severn Beach Line has been started here:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15518.0

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 21:05:31 »

Does anyone know what this actually means - or will mean - in practice?

Does it mean that by 2020 there will be no paper tickets, or that paper tickets will start to 'be phased out' from that date?
What will replace paper tickets? What, if anything, will a passenger receive to show they have paid for travel?
Will you still be able to buy a 'ticket' (whatever form that takes, whether printed card or phone app or whatever) at point of travel - or will you have to purchase it in advance?
Will there be any provision for people without some 'mobile device' to travel (eg kids taking the train to school)?
Will there be 'tickets' in the form of eg SMS, email etc, or will there be a smart card system like the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card?
If a smart card, will it be a national scheme valid for all services and all TOCs (Train Operating Company), or will different franchises have their own cards?
Is this perhaps not a scheme to 'make efficiencies' by moving to an online or machine only system, making ticket window staff redundant?
Can an announcement about a long-term scheme made so close to a general election be considered to have any validity a t all?

Does even the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) know any of these things yet?

And is there any connection with eg this: http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Fares-rail-policy-and-DfT-news/dft-invests-in-smart-ticketing-in-the-west-midlands
Separately, the minister also announced that the government will be working with the UK (United Kingdom) Cards Association ^ the body representing the card payments industry ^ to bring contactless payment to public transport country-wide.
The association will lead a project to coordinate actions among card payment processors, card issuers as well as UK transport operators.
...which would suggest it's about payment methods, rather than tickets per se?

Intrigued!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 21:17:05 »

Nederlandse Spoorwegen (Dutch Railways) have already done something that could be interpreted as this. There are also similar schemes on the metro systems in Lisbon and Porto (Portugal).

In Portugal you have  a smart card that can be loaded with one or more journeys of a particular zone (you cannot mix). In the Netherlands I think it just holds a standard ticket on a smartcard. 

All tickets are some sort of smart card, which can be loaded with either one sort of ticket or various sorts of tickets. 

At the least change this could mean you have to own a smart card that is loaded with the same ticket you might have bought today - not sure that give the passenger any benefits at all. At the most change it could make it something like a Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) pay as you go ticket - though that leads to all sorts of difficulties. 

Not sure any system of benefit tot the passenger can work without some simplification of the fares system. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: