Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 21:02:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[234] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[36] Cornish delays
[34] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[19] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal to phase out paper tickets by 2020 - ongoing discussion  (Read 19944 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2017, 22:27:40 »

Did anything actually happen today to make this two-year-old thread news again?
Recently it was announced that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) was abandoning the initiative. So yes, there was a relevance to restarting the thread.

I can't help thinking it would have been a lot less confusing for everyone if that bit of information had been provided when the thread was restarted.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2017, 20:32:18 »

Thanks for your comment, stuving.

Looking back over the previous posts on this particular topic, I note that it has generally been an 'ongoing discussion' - so I have now renamed the thread accordingly.

I, too, have sometimes dredged up a rather old topic, in order to link it to a current item of news.  Purely in the interests of continuity and clarity, obviously.  Tongue

However, may I take this opportunity to encourage all of our contributing members to continue to update any old topics on the Coffee Shop forum, if they find something useful / interesting / amuzing to add to our discussions here?

I am always available to amend topic headings, or merge topics, if that will help.  CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2017, 09:34:54 »

Did anything actually happen today to make this two-year-old thread news again?
Recently it was announced that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) was abandoning the initiative. So yes, there was a relevance to restarting the thread.

Can you point to any source for this? As a TOC (Train Operating Company) recently told me that it is NOT the case at all....
John R

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2017, 16:55:01 »

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are passing responsibility of the project  to the RDG(resolve) (as noted in the following link https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2017/04/20-nao-highlights-smart-ticketing-failings.html). 

I've seen comment elsewhere that this is considered to be a considerable back-pedalling on a project that is hugely over budget and late -  move a failing project away from control of the DfT so that when it is descoped and funding cut the finger pointing is deflected.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2017, 18:30:15 »

Indeed, but the RDG(resolve) are still responsible for it to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)....and I understand at least some of the development to be complete well begore the year stated
John R

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2017, 21:07:25 »

You asked why the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) had resurrected the thread, and I (trying to be helpful, and knowing I had read it somewhere) suggested the reason why that might be the case. Then, not content with that, you asked for evidence. Again, I looked online and found something that was related. Again, you argued over whether or not it is true, which is incidental to your original challenge as to why the thread was reopened.

Having now dug around further, I've found the online version of where I originally read it, namely the Sunday Times last week.

A government scheme to expand smart ticketing on busy rail lines has been scrapped after costs more than doubled despite most train operators failing to adopt it, according to the spending watchdog.

The Department for Transport has been forced to close a project for Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services)-style tickets across southeast England despite spending £54 million on the scheme, £9 million more than the original budget.

So, whether or not the article is true, it does seem reasonable that the thread was restarted.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2017, 21:29:22 »

Thanks for your update, John R.  Smiley

For completeness, here is a link to that particular article in the Sunday Times - but you will need to register to read their full text.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 21:38:24 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: