Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:49:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[234] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[36] Cornish delays
[34] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[19] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What next for ambitious plans to transform Cardiff Central Station?  (Read 23295 times)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:33:14 »

From Wales Online 4th March 2015
Network Rail has today published its draft consultation document for rail investment projects in Wales and the borders.

As well as electrification of the North Wales Mainline the other standout project is a major revamp of Cardiff Central Station.

Why is the investment at the station needed?
To accommodate growing passenger levels. The current annual passenger level at the Victorian built station is 13 million, but that is forecast to reach 22 million by 2023 and 32 million by 2043.

As a key gateway into Wales the station hardly gives a positive impression to visitors to Wales for the first time. The reality is that in comparison to other leading train stations in the UK (United Kingdom) it has not had enough investment in recent years.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/what-next-ambitious-plans-transform-8766769
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 11:54:36 »

Cardiff Central / Caerdydd Canolog is certainly not my favourite station to arrive at. I have often been on trains waiting for a platform, and it had a contender for Worst Public Toilet in the Universe some years back. I haven't been there recently, but a few quid in investment would not go amiss.

Now, please!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 15:58:52 »

There is no caf^ on the platforms, but right down below on the concourse outside the barriers and remote from train information.   There is an just and open air kiosk on Platforms 1/2 and with no seating area.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 16:13:07 »

Cardiff Central / Caerdydd Canolog is certainly not my favourite station to arrive at. I have often been on trains waiting for a platform, and it had a contender for Worst Public Toilet in the Universe some years back. I haven't been there recently, but a few quid in investment would not go amiss.

Those toilets are little improved.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 16:24:01 »

Those toilets are little improved.

I'd second that, quite possibly the worst I've ever had the misfortune to experience, it's pretty appalling that no-one has come up with a little bit of money to refurb them and clean them (properly) more often. Swansea & Bridgend are also pretty poor in this respect. Tarting up CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) won't come a minute too soon, a very poor introduction to an otherwise fairly nicely sorted city centre.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 16:35:20 »

What next? Hopefully, in my opinion, a mass protest against the defacing of the north side of the station with a design that seems to be inspired by Havant Tesco (not my pic). Hopefully this time the result will be better than Aberystwyth, where rather than drop the stupid new canopy from the plans in the face of objections they just redesigned it. It is marginly better than the original plans but still an insult to railway architecture.

The toilets were indeed dreadful last time I was there though, so something probably ought to be done (although that was before the work started on the new platform (platform 8 if I recall correctly) and southern enterance and I haven't been back since to know if they are putting the loos right as part of the current upgrade work). More floor space is needed too apparently but surely you don't need to ruin the (listed) building to do it. My suggestion would be to extend the building on the south side of the station instead, where the new southern enterance is going.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 16:50:07 »

Whatever happens, I hope those marvellous art deco lights in the main hall do not disappear and that the Pigeon wave automata around the station clock at the west end are retained. Commissioned by Network Rail in 2002 from creator, Martin Smith. Apparently a toy train runs along it on the hour and the pigeons rise and flap in turn to avoid it, in a supposedly mexican wave. Never seen it working yet. Wales does not seem to  have a good track record with automata. I never saw the steam clock working in John Forster square in Newport, either.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 17:23:33 by chuffed » Logged
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 17:26:49 »

What next? Hopefully, in my opinion, a mass protest against the defacing of the north side of the station with a design that seems to be inspired by Havant Tesco (not my pic). Hopefully this time the result will be better than Aberystwyth, where rather than drop the stupid new canopy from the plans in the face of objections they just redesigned it. It is marginly better than the original plans but still an insult to railway architecture.

The toilets were indeed dreadful last time I was there though, so something probably ought to be done (although that was before the work started on the new platform (platform 8 if I recall correctly) and southern enterance and I haven't been back since to know if they are putting the loos right as part of the current upgrade work). More floor space is needed too apparently but surely you don't need to ruin the (listed) building to do it. My suggestion would be to extend the building on the south side of the station instead, where the new southern enterance is going.

Last time I was there about a month ago, Platform 8 was taking shape, but no apparent effort going on with the toilets or any other existing facilities at all. It would seem sensible to me to close the on-platform toilets to add more platform waiting space and have a central facility somewhere inside or attached to the main building which would be much more efficient to monitor and keep clean.

Agreed that they should leave the rather grand main concourse building in as much of it's glory as possible, but the whole station just feels rather too cramped and 'old' for the current passenger levels and is now in dire need of sorting out properly.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 18:00:07 »

Whatever happens, I hope those marvellous art deco lights in the main hall do not disappear and that the Pigeon wave automata around the station clock at the west end are retained. Commissioned by Network Rail in 2002 from creator, Martin Smith. Apparently a toy train runs along it on the hour and the pigeons rise and flap in turn to avoid it, in a supposedly mexican wave. Never seen it working yet. Wales does not seem to  have a good track record with automata. I never saw the steam clock working in John Forster square in Newport, either.

Clock is there. Automata gone.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QW7smMMC5mw/UYQAcypCFII/AAAAAAAACqQ/zKm2D8Bqc4Y/s1600/P1000560.JPG

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:46:06 »

Have been in touch with the automata maker. He told me it was removed a couple of years ago, but was not informed of the reason why by Cardiff Central or Network Rail.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 12:43:21 »

I was at CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) for a football match at the Millennium Stadium - Bristol City in the final of the Best Johnsons Trophy or similar. I have never seen a station so packed as it was 10 minutes after the presentation and over moon / sick as parrot.

I am pleased, in a strange way, that my opinion of the toilets is not just my rather exacting standards, but is shared by many. You would think with all those Assembly Members coming and going that things would be better.

Now, please!
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 12:13:49 »

Further update on plans for Cardiff Central have popped up on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-33685200

Fresh plans have been drawn up for the biggest transformation of Cardiff Central railway station since it was built in the 1850s.

Last year, Network Rail released images which included a wave effect roof which but this has now been stripped back to a more standard glass fronted entrance.

There would also be new retail space and a mezzanine floor.

The work coincides with plans to revamp that area of the city centre which is where the new BBC building will be.

A new bus terminal is also being built in the area.

The earliest work on the station could start would be 2019 but Network Rail have yet to fully cost the multi-million pound plans.

Other works at the station are being carried out including a new south entrance.

Currently, 13 million people use Cardiff Central per year and that figure is expected to grow to 23 million by 2023.

Mark Langman, route managing director for Network Rail Wales, said: "Our railway is carrying almost 50% more passengers than we were 10 years ago and that number is predicted to grow significantly in the years ahead, with up to 32m passengers forecast to use Cardiff Central station by 2043.

"There is still more to do to meet future demand and to build a station fit for a capital city."
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 16:35:03 »

About time. For a capital city station Cardiff Central is a disgrace.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 17:13:28 »

Fresh plans have been drawn up for the biggest transformation of Cardiff Central railway station since it was built in the 1850s.

So this transformation will be bigger than the one the GWR (Great Western Railway) did in the 1930s, will it?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 19:20:15 »

Am I the only one to be sad that slowly the traditional style of platform canopies are being swept away?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: