Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 21:53:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[294] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[103] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[61] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[54] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[26] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[25] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What next for ambitious plans to transform Cardiff Central Station?  (Read 23285 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 21:11:37 »

Am I the only one to be sad that slowly the traditional style of platform canopies are being swept away?

I know what you mean - I used to really like Reading!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 15:16:32 »

Am I the only one to be sad that slowly the traditional style of platform canopies are being swept away?
Nope. Having seen the updated design for Cardiff Central (at the link posted above), which appears to show a 'transfer deck', like the new Reading I am even more horrified than I was when I saw the proposed Tesco-style canopy for the north entrance.

Apparently, Network Rail also want to lengthen platform 0 to accomodate London services. Assuming they mean 9-car class 800/801 units, how on earth do they think they can do that? I can't see there being space for it without demolishing the existing station buildings entirely.

Last time I was there about a month ago, Platform 8 was taking shape, but no apparent effort going on with the toilets or any other existing facilities at all. It would seem sensible to me to close the on-platform toilets to add more platform waiting space and have a central facility somewhere inside or attached to the main building which would be much more efficient to monitor and keep clean.
The platform toilets are now in the process of being renovated. While a big improvement, and not quite as bad as Haverfordwest's revamped toilets (which have stainless steel toilet bowls), Cardiff Central's new loos are a disapointment (no toilet seats).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 23:47:04 »

While a big improvement, and not quite as bad as Haverfordwest's revamped toilets (which have stainless steel toilet bowls), Cardiff Central's new loos are a disapointment (no toilet seats).

Presumably a design chosen to minimise the chances of, or impact of, vandalism?  The stainless steel bowls with no lid are practically indestructible and easy to keep looking in a reasonable state, and whilst they might not look too pretty I'd rather that than a plastic lid ripped off and lying on the floor and a cracked porcelain pan!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 00:05:24 »

While a big improvement, and not quite as bad as Haverfordwest's revamped toilets (which have stainless steel toilet bowls), Cardiff Central's new loos are a disapointment (no toilet seats).

Presumably a design chosen to minimise the chances of, or impact of, vandalism?  The stainless steel bowls with no lid are practically indestructible and easy to keep looking in a reasonable state, and whilst they might not look too pretty I'd rather that than a plastic lid ripped off and lying on the floor and a cracked porcelain pan!

Sadly I suspect they are indeed designed like this to cater for the lowest common denominator who emerge in the Cardiff evenings...

The current setup is the seatless, stainless steel bowls as I recall (I try to forget any experiences of them, they really are that bad) - it's fair to say that they have failed miserably to keep them even in a reasonable condition. Appears to be a common issue with ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) managed stations going by my experiences.

In terms of the toilets, what Cardiff really needs in the long term is a central facility which is easier to monitor/maintain, rather than the dispersed small facilities (ty bach is a rather appropriate term!) dotted around the platforms.

Does anyone know if Cardiff is likely to revert to NR» (Network Rail - home page) management at any point, due to its passenger volume, which is actually larger than some other NR managed regional stations (e.g. BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains))?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 11:01:38 »

At least they are better than an arrangement I came across in the USA once in a railway station - a row of stainless steel pans with no partitions between them! They were shielded from being seen from the outside by a wall but that was all. Went in and half way down was an old gent, trousers round his ankles trying to lower himself onto the pan aided by another.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 17:50:36 »

Presumably a design chosen to minimise the chances of, or impact of, vandalism?
Presumably that is indeed the reason, but rather a sorry state of affairs nonetheless.

In terms of the toilets, what Cardiff really needs in the long term is a central facility which is easier to monitor/maintain, rather than the dispersed small facilities (ty bach is a rather appropriate term!) dotted around the platforms.
That does sound like it might be sensible, I wonder what alternative uses the current toilet buildings on the platforms could be put to.

Going back to the station design, I noticed when I was having a look round that the north end of the eastern subway is much wider than the rest (the Upper Crust outlet in the main concourse extends back into that space, under the tracks). That got me thinking; could the entire space under the station from the east wall of the western subway* to the east end of the station be openned up and linked in with the new southern concourse? And does anyone have any idea how NR» (Network Rail - home page) think they can extend platform 0? 50m west and you hit the pointwork leading into Canton depot, 40m east and you hit the main station building. I reckon a maximum length of 195m, a long way short of 9x26m.

* this has listed tiles advertising the platforms (including the non-existant platform 5 (as an aside, why is it not platform 4 that is missing?)) and shouldn't be damaged.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 17:31:21 »

could the entire space under the station from the east wall of the western subway* to the east end of the station be openned up and linked in with the new southern concourse?

I have no idea what is under there but I certainly like the idea.  Opening up the station vaults to passenger and retail use would enhance the heritage aspects of the station by making the (presumably brick) vaults visible.  Better than a Reading style transfer deck and fewer stairs needed too. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: