14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:20:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dimensions of train seating  (Read 7981 times)
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2015, 22:58:12 »

Here's a guide to dimensions of Chinese train seating:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/seat-size.htm

Now where's the equivalent information for the UK (United Kingdom)?  I would like to see a comparison of current rail vehicles with some of the older stuff - Mk1, Mk2 (Mark 2 coach), early MK3 and so on.

Some informal data was presented at http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36190&page=1. I wouldn't recommend reading past the first post as the thread is heavy on personal insults and off-topic stuff.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 08:04:04 »

Agree that the data is a bit dry and dusty, but those other contributors on that forum, make us lot in the coffee shop look like absolute angels ! As Dr Spooner may or may not have said, what makes this forum so special, is the shining wit one so often encounters. Not like the other kind on that other forum !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:20:43 »

For our knowledgeable passenger focused interest, the original post there is very interesting - though it does lack FGW (First Great Western) area specifics.   I had never before considered whether pitch should be measured with the seats unoccupied, or with typical cushion depression added in when someones' seated. ("How soft is your seat cushion?")

I was on an East Midlands HST (High Speed Train) yesterday, and certainly noticed the difference between that an the FGW HST that I was on 40 minutes later.   But then I got seats on both, and had the FGW train had the same pitch as East Midlands, I think I would have been standing.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 22:39:25 »

I had never before considered whether pitch should be measured with the seats unoccupied, or with typical cushion depression added in when someones' seated. ("How soft is your seat cushion?")
I seem to recall Roger Ford in Modern Railways writting something along the lines of 'seat pitch' being a specific measurement between a particular point on each seat, not effected by the cushion depression. 'Legroom' however was noted as being dependant on squishy cushions and hence was found to vary within a single vehicle to the extent that the measurements were unhelpful. Something like that anyway.

Something else pointed out in Modern Railways was the ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) technical requirements for rolling stock report. Here's an extract:

3.3.4 Seat legroom should be designed to accommodate a 95th percentile male (based on the latest anthropometric data available for the GB (Great Britain) population)
Code:
Note 1: The current 95th percentile male figure would result in a dimension of 688 mm for airline seating. For absolute clarity, this is the dimension between seat back squab and the rear face of the seat in front and is therefore not ^seat pitch."
The code block was the nearest thing I could find to an indent.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 10:31:55 »

Yep - seat pitch is from the back of the seat cushion where it meets the upright back to the back of the seat in front. Same as on an airline.

I don't think legroom is defined per se, but generally the distance between the front of the seat cushion & the seat in front. No so important, as if the seat itself is a deep one, the pitch distance can be decent, even if the legroom is a couple of inches.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:11:03 »

Yep - seat pitch is from the back of the seat cushion where it meets the upright back to the back of the seat in front. Same as on an airline.

I don't think legroom is defined per se, but generally the distance between the front of the seat cushion & the seat in front. No so important, as if the seat itself is a deep one, the pitch distance can be decent, even if the legroom is a couple of inches.

.............I just thank the Lord that I'm a shortarse, with legs to match!!!  Grin
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:49:27 »

Airline seat pitch is actually from the back of one seat to the same point on the seat in front (or behind) and doesn't take into account cushion thickness. So a 32" seat pitch with a nice modern thin cushion will give you a fair bit more room than a 32" pitch with a thickly padded old fashioned type.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 13:17:37 »

Eh? how can seat cushion thickness effect the distance between (front of) seat back and (rear of) seat back?
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 14:08:01 »

Eh? how can seat cushion thickness effect the distance between (front of) seat back and (rear of) seat back?

Because it is measured from the same fixed point on each seat, therefore a thicker seat cushion takes up more of the space between those fixed points...seat pitch ignores how thick the padding is on the seats, at least on airlines. What I'm saying is that the padding (and supporting structure) thickness does not affect seat pitch, but does affect available legroom.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 14:41:48 »

yes, that's what I was intimating too
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 17:38:25 »

You get more leg room on an FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) in Standard Class than you do on some Southeastern and Southern Class 375/Class 377 First Class seating...

Also First Class in most Class 375 and Class 377s have identical seats to those in Standard Class. Either different colours, 2+2 instead of 2+3 and/or a headrest colour.

I also agree, the size and padding of a seat can affect the legroom significantly. Just look at the 2 different seating styles on our Class 158s for example. Some seats are designed with the journey time in mind. However the seating on Class 150/1s is not at all appropriate for the GCR» (Gloucester - next trains) (Gloucester) - WEY (Weymouth) trains which are well in excess of 2 hours journey time. A shorter journey of say Westbury - Bristol Temple Meads such seating may be appropriate. But alot of the trains on FGW Soil are not adequate for the journeys the offer.

Class 150/1 and Class 150/2 for Holiday Makers to Weymouth and Newquay are ridiculous when you look at the amount of suitcases that are brought onboard.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: