Delayed
05:25 Swansea to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 05:53:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Franchise Announcement  (Read 73750 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2015, 23:37:42 »

So, more like this then:

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2015, 09:59:07 »

Turbo maintenance will eventually all transfer to St Phillips Marsh, meaning ecs moves for exams & faults.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2015, 10:10:25 »

Exams and heavy maintenance may well do, but I'll happily wager that light maintenance faults, stabling, refuelling, and emptying of CET (Controlled Emission Toilet)'s will remain at Reading for those sets that stay behind, as will the first two of those at Oxford.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:59 »

Oh yes, I was referring to medium & Heavy maintenance, not nightly work
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2015, 10:40:57 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) Press Release, not as I can see picked up by any outlet...

The company will expand the use of the GWR (Great Western Railway) brand, currently used in its long distance First Class carriages and will rebrand before the start of the new franchise in September.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2015, 23:37:28 »

Forgive the continued light relief, but I spotted two EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) in Somerset today. And there were overhead wires in place.

And the overhead wires...

Washford transmitting station. Also home to a small zoo.

Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2015, 21:19:43 »

I knew telling him to get out more was a mistake....
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2015, 12:34:26 »

I very nearly started a new topic for this, but changed my mind...

I am frequently trying to remind pepole about the potential IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) Capacity shortfall, especially with regard to the South Wales routes and the Cotswold Line, because I am hugely concerned about this and feel something needs to be done. We now have a new 'direct award' agreement but I cannot find the service level commitment detailing the service FirstGW will provide. Prior to the direct award announcement, I read rumours on another fourm that the requirement for First Great Western to operate crowd-busting services to provide extra summer Saturday services to Tenby and Pembroke Dock could be dropped under the new contract. This would mean four years with the already streched no-growth Wales & Borders having to cover services. The line requires three diagrams (ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) cover one with a class 150  2-car unit, the other two with 2-car 'Pacer' DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit)) whereas FirstGW provide two 8 coach IC125s...

Can anyone find the new service level commitment and settle the matter one way or the other. A critical decision over Intercity rolling stock is supposed to be made in June by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), but with no MPs (Member of Parliament) at present I cannot use that channel to try and obtain all the facts before having to write to the new transport minister via my new MP.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2015, 12:53:35 »

Shouldn't you (also) be writing to the Welsh Goverrnt about their lack of service spec to ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) Then? Why is it purely a FGW (First Great Western) issue?
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2015, 12:59:40 »

Can anyone find the new service level commitment and settle the matter one way or the other.
That should be FOIable, no?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2015, 13:29:16 »

Can anyone find the new service level commitment and settle the matter one way or the other.
That should be FOIable, no?
Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think of that. I've now asked for the Franchise Agreement and Service Level Commitment for the new direct award using the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) FOI (Freedom of Information) online form. I hope they reply quickly.

Shouldn't you (also) be writing to the Welsh Goverrnt about their lack of service spec to ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) Then? Why is it purely a FGW (First Great Western) issue?
The ATW franchise does not expire until 2018, and was let on a no-growth basis (by Westminster I believe, not the Welsh Government who I think didn't have devolved responsibility for specifying the franchise at the time). As far as I understand it (and I may be wrong since I do not know the details and haven't read the franchise agreement) ATW have no obligation to provide additional services/capacity if other franchises (eg. ICWC (InterCity West Coast) or GW (Great Western)) withdraw services in the Wales & Borders franchise area. Additional services outside ATW's base obligations (Fishguard and Holyhead-Cardiff services) have come at a high cost to the Welsh Government, eg. ^1.4m for Fishguard. Admittedly I do not have an understanding of the costs involved, but I get the impression ATW is in a position to charge what they like for increments and I wouldn't be supprised if that ^1.4m is the full cost of providing the service, meaning any and all additional fares revenue from the service is pure profit for ATW.

Even if they do have an obligation to cover withdrawal of FirstGW services, where can they obtain the necessary additional rolling stock by May 2016? In the longer term, you could argue that the new W&B franchise should be given responsibility for providing the additional summer capacity instead of FirstGW, but withdrawl of the FirstGW service before the end of the current ATW NO-GROWTH franchise is, I think, a different matter.

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2015, 13:36:37 »

With hourly bi-modes (except for the all-stations stoppers) - some of which will be 10car - I think you'll find it's a net gain of seats on the North Cotswold...
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2015, 14:06:18 »

With hourly bi-modes (except for the all-stations stoppers) - some of which will be 10car - I think you'll find it's a net gain of seats on the North Cotswold...
Did you read IndustryInsider's post that I linked to above? The analysis of the diagrams DfT» (Department for Transport - about) used to calculate how many units to order (yes, yes, I know they are not actually what will be implemented, but they are the asumption used to order the stock) showed reductions in seats compared to current services at all of the following stations:
  • Hereford (6.3% fewer seats)
  • Great Malvern (24.4% fewer seats)
  • Worcester (Foregate Street) (9.7% fewer seats)
  • Moreton-In-Marsh (20.2% fewer seats)
  • Swindon (9.5% fewer seats)
  • Swansea (10.3% fewer seats)
  • Cardiff (1.4% fewer seats)
Some Cotswolds stations are thus the worst hit (though I guess that depends on how many all-stations stoppers there are). Only two services each way to Worcester (one through to/from Hereford) were shown to be 10-car.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2015, 14:13:21 »

The bi-modes (apart from that Hereford 10car) are only scheduled to trip as far, I believe, as Shurb Hill in Worcester - hence the drop in seats to Foregate Street, Malvern & Hereford - but those stations don't need the capacity currently - have you seen the empty HSTs (High Speed Train) going to Hereford from Worcester? You could get them all easily in a 2car turbo.

Somewhat surprised at the 20.2% drop in seats at Moreton, and can't see how they worked that out. Every train is stopping there in the future timetable, so a glaring error methinks
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2015, 17:02:58 »

I think we may have mentioned this before, but are the numbers of seats here counted as "number of seats departing to London"?   If so, and the train calls at multiple stations, you're double or treble counting.

Lets take a hypothetical example

3 trains run from A calling at B and C to London, each with 500 seats. So that's 1500 seats from A, 1500 seats from B and 1500 seats from C.

3 new trains with 600 seats take over.   The first train calls at A and B, the second at A and C, and the third starts from B and calls at C.  So that' 1200 seats from each of them - "20% fewer seats".  Except .. total capacity from A B and C has risen by 20%!

Don't you just love statistics.

The example is pertinent - there are plans to skip Swindon, for example, and to make trains have fewer stops - so my logic may be more that just statistics!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: